IGNORED

What power adapter do I have?

frax

I found an Atari power adapter while cleaning but I have no clue what it's for.

It's about 3 times as big as a standard 800XL adapter, outputs 3 Amps of 5v and +-12v to a female DIN.

Built in 1986.

Any ideas?

/frax

Could be for an Atari ST? I remember the first ST's had huge power supplys, though maybe not 3 times the XL one.

It's about 3 times as big as a standard 800XL adapter, outputs 3 Amps of 5v and +-12v to a female DIN.

Built in 1986.

Any ideas?

/frax

a picture may help

From B+C

Version #1(upper left), the White Brick, has a white top and dark brown bottom, 4" X 8" & 2 1/2" high. Version #1was shipped with early 600XL/800XL computers. Output 5 VDC at 1.5 Amp. Atari Part# C061982. Very reliable. Very Rare

Version #2(lower left), the Black Brick, is same shape and size as Version #1but all black, 4" X 8" & 2 1/2" high. Version #2 was shipped with later 600XL/800XL computers. Output 5 VDC at 1.5 Amp. Atari Part# C061982. Very reliable. Very Rare

Version #3(center top), the Ingot, is solid & all black, 3 1/4" X 5" & 2 1/2" high. It was shipped with most 600XL/800XL and some 65/130XE computers. Output 5 VDC at 1.5 Amp. Atari Part# C061982. If this version fails it can damage the computer if not turned off quickly. Not reccomended for unattended operations. If hum bars are seen on the screen disconnect version #3 power packs.

Version #4(top right), the Box, is slightly smaller than the Ver #3 at 3" X 4 1/2" & 2 1/2" high. It was shipped with most 130XE computers. Output 5 VDC at 1.5 Amp. Atari Part# C061982 Very reliable. Getting hard to find. We reccomend this version for 130XE and 800XL computers.

Version #5(bottom center), the Mini, is the smallest at 2" X 3" & 2" high. It was shipped with most XE Game Systems. Output 5 VDC at 1 Amp. Atari Part# C70042-011. Not as rugged as version #6. For continuous operation use #6 for a 1Amp instead of #5.

Version #6(bottom right), the Logo, is the same size as Ver #4, 3" X 4 1/2" & 2 1/2" high but has an Atari Logo molded into the case. It was shipped with most 65XE computers and later XE Game Systems. Output 5 VDC at 1 Amp. Atari Part# C70042-01 Very reliable. Works great in most applications.

post-11930-1199367999_thumb.jpg

Edited by mimo

Sounds like something the ST would need.

Funnily enough, I bought an AC power meter (plugs inline between the power point and appliance).

I measured several of my computers.

My main machine (Core2Duo) used around 110 Watts, my older Athlon XP/M 2500 desktop used about 70.

Of the older computers, the Atari 8 bits used virtually nothing, I think the Amiga was about 15, but the 1040ST/FM used over 20.

Could be for an Atari ST? I remember the first ST's had huge power supplys, though maybe not 3 times the XL one.

Possible, I thought all ST's had the PS built in?

the original 520st had an external psu

Not the first models, at least not here in Norway. It doesn't look the same as my ST PSU in the picture, but they might not look alike in the US either. Don't know

Built in 1986.

Any ideas?

/frax

It has -12V on it? That seems very unusual.

-Larry

Built in 1986.

Any ideas?

/frax

It has -12V on it? That seems very unusual.

-Larry

The -12v would be needed for a true RS-232 interface. A disk drive wouldn't use it, so this is probably an ST power supply. The 1450s (and TONG boards) have the same voltages as I recall, but they are 8-pin male DINs. They look like the supply in his pictures, anyway.

Bob