IGNORED

Anyone here actually own a 64DD?

311fan

It also requires a Japanese N64 which is another expense.

No it doesn't, I've used it perfectly fine with my US N64. The only Japanese thing you truly need is a copy of F-Zero X to use the expansion kit disc, but as I originally had the JPN version at the time it was perfect (it was cheaper to import that than the US version from my local dealer).

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q167/Ma...pernintendo.jpg

You can see my Randnet version on the top shelf of the pic along with all nine software titles released (and the keyboard)... yep got the full set! Mind you I'm not sure why the 64DD has gone up in value over the years... I got my Randnet kit and the seven common titles for about US$300 some five years back. Now you'll be lucky to find that under around US$500.

Has any use been made of the unit aside from Ocarina of Time, F-Zero and Mario Paint? If one could dump their controller paks to disk, that would be awesome. Those tiny paks fill up way too fast as it is. $500 won't buy enough controller paks to have save file for even a modest sized N64 collection.

Heck, if one could dump carts to disk, that might be worth something. They'd load real slow, but it might let one alter the game code here and there.

Has any use been made of the unit aside from Ocarina of Time, F-Zero and Mario Paint? If one could dump their controller paks to disk, that would be awesome. Those tiny paks fill up way too fast as it is. $500 won't buy enough controller paks to have save file for even a modest sized N64 collection.

Funny you mention that. It's one of the great things about the Z64 - it will automatically save and restore save paks per game if you ask it too. Saves me a ton of paks and headaches. :cool:

Funny you mention that. It's one of the great things about the Z64 - it will automatically save and restore save paks per game if you ask it too. Saves me a ton of paks and headaches. :cool:

That's the good thing about multicarts or multigame devices. In some cases, they also load faster, though I can't imagine speeding up the load time of many N64 games by a whole lot. On another system, I have something like half a dozen games on one flash card, and it's nice to not have to go look for them when I want to play. It's also nice not to have to drag them with me if I want to take the system somewhere.

No memory card to look for, either--they just save right there with the game itself like you'd expect every N64 cart to do.

If only the Paks held a bit more it would be OK, but there are too many games that hog the entire pak. Otherwise I'd do it the same way I've been doing with my Dreamcast--I buy a VMU every time I buy a controller, and I have each controller fitted with a Jump Pack and a VMU. The N64 Rumble Pak isn't worth anything to me, so I just leave the ones I have lying in the drawer and never use 'em. I wish I could outfit all my N64 controllers with the first party memory card and leave it at that, but it just doesn't work that way.

I know third party cards hold more, but I don't like losing game saves.

Edited by shadow460

Hi Guys:

Yes, I have one complete. I purchased it from a Japanese ebay member from Japan.

Anthony....

Lucky Lucky Lucky.

Maybe one day

no probably not.

Hi:

Maybe. I purchased the baby in 2000. I think it was for $300 even. The Japanese Dude was "Going Under" so everything was a "Steel!". Now it goes for 500 yards & up. DAMN!

Anthony...

Is it actually worth buying from a gameplay perspective? From my stance, $500 for Mario paint and an fzero expansion is a little much. Is there something I'm missing, or is it really just a collector's piece?

Sure it is!! Despite being that there games are too Japanese Orientated, they certainly have there moments in any of there small library! F-zero Expansion Pack has infinite possibilities with your imagination!! So Yes, its worth it!

Anthony....