IGNORED

Novelities included with Games

phuzzed

The Ultima games came with cloth maps and in some cases other items (for instance, Ultima IV came with a moon stone). Much more care was put into the packaging, documentation and "extras" back in the 80s. Now you're lucky to even get a plastic jewel case with your game and any printed documentation at all.

..Al

The cloth map of Ultima IV is still hanging in my room..... :cool:

Ultima IV came along with a coin, Ultima VI with a moonstone!!

I just finished making a GameBase US NES so these are fresh in my mind.

M.U.S.C.L.E. came with a toy

Trolls on Treasure Island came with a toy

Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego came with an encylopedia

Werewolf - The Last Warrior came with a comic book

Monster in My Pocket came with a toy, i don't think M.U.S.C.L.E. did.

You are absolutly right...My bad, I got 'em confused :roll:

Yeah, I have a large number of the original Infocom releases, and those were some of the most enjoyable games to open up. :)

Infocom and Origin had the greatest pack in extras. Though I think Infocom really made an art of it.

Ah, those were the days. :cool:

origin.jpg infocom.jpg

I'm drooling over your collection Remo. My Ultima boxes are so beat up it's not even funny (of course they got that was because I was PLAYING them, so I guess that's ok). I didn't realize Origin put out other games in that long black box style, very nice... My Infocom collection looks like yours, but I'm missing the spine label for AMFV (now I know it at least had one).

As wsa pointed out, Infocom was the king of including stuff with the games (called "Feelies") which were not only cool to look at, but were also used for copy protection as well. Sierra included items with some games, but not all (Most of the "Quest" games came with at least one printed magazine or book). My favorite was the tabloid rip off that came with Space Quest VI.

Incidentally, the whole reason Origin had Sierra publish Ultima II was because they were the only company that would include the cloth map and trinkets that Richard wanted.

Tempest

The original bozed Infocom games were PACKED with goodies - some instrumental for gameplay. I remember maps, newspaper clippings, and all kinds of nifty paperwork in those. Hitchhiker's Guide to Galaxy had the best ones though. There was a Don't Panic button; a pair of Peril Sensitive Sunglasses, and a Microscopic Galactic War Fleet (in clear baggie). And in The Lurking Horror, there was a student ID card, a guide to GUE Tech, and little rubber bug. Loved the Infocom goodies...

Yeah, I have a large number of the original Infocom releases, and those were some of the most enjoyable games to open up. :)

The Ultima games came with cloth maps and in some cases other items (for instance, Ultima IV came with a moon stone). Much more care was put into the packaging, documentation and "extras" back in the 80s. Now you're lucky to even get a plastic jewel case with your game and any printed documentation at all.

..Al

Or, since the creation of Steam...you're lucky to get a plastic disk with the game on it....... :ponder:

Hi all, I remember buying Last Ninja 2 on the C64 disk and it came with the a ninja mask, star and a map (which I took the blank side):

LastNinja2Collectorsedited.jpg

I also remember Murder on the Atlantic on the Amstrad CPC came with a pile of stuff like bullets and various stuff like letters to play the game.

Anthony

Edited by acharris