IGNORED

I need your help!

slosu

First of all, I wasn't sure where to put this post. I figured that I would put it here under "Atari 2600" because this is the one most read. Having said that, I need youe help!!

My brother in-law was in a car accident about seven years ago. Doctor's told him that he would never walk again and that he would be in a weelchair the rest of his life. He was 19 years old when this happened and you can only imagine what was going through his mind. Anyways, to make a long story short he proved all of these doctors wrong. It took two years of hard work and dedication but he IS walking again. He's still not a 100% and may never be but I'm happy where he's at.... he fought hard.

This is where you come in. Like myself he is a die hard gamer. Unfortunately he can not use any standard controller. He needs the big arcade style controllers to get his game on. Currently he has one for PS2/Xbox. I bought him the NES Advantage and the one for SNES. I also picked him up one for Sega which rules because now he can get his Atari fix with that controller. My question is did they make a Arcade style controller for the Colecovision, Nintendo 64 or the Gamecube? If so where do you think I could find them? Any help would be grateful!!!

Steve

Rewire the Genesis arcade stick? You'd still need to use the CV for the pad, however (Y-adapter). I can't recall exactly, but IIRC using the Genesis controllers w/o rewiring is bad for the CV?

Alternately, you could rip into a CV controller and mount some HAPPS hardware to anything you want...if you're handy with a screwdriver.

Take a look at this page for standalone controller options:

http://www.geocities.com/djslacker1/coleco...ontrollers.html

The N64 has a Mad Catz and an InterAct stick. InterAct's Arcade Shark is the better of the two, IMO, but both are insanely hard to get in my experience. They're both pretty big. If you can get an Arcade Shark, I'd try to get a second joystick handle for it as well so you don't have to switch the one back and forth between the pads.

I'm not sure it'd be what you're looking for, but the ColecoVision does have the Super Action controller. It's prolly the closest to an arcade stick for the CV you'll get without making one. Also, a company names Mas Systems makes or used to make arcade controllers with adapters for all sorts of systems from the SNES/Genesis/3DO days up till at least somewhat recently. You might want to look into an adapter for an existing arcade style stick he owns. I have seen any number of adapters for everything. Usually it'll be "use your SNES controller on your whatever" or "use you PS1/PS2 controllers on your whatever"

I have never done this, but if you can't find, lets say a PS2 to Atari adapter, you might want to try finding say a PS2 to *name of whatever system* and then chain a "whatever system you find to CV/Atari/etc". It may work, it may not. For example, I know I can buy a Smart Joy Frag for the PS2 which lets me use a keyboard and mouse on my PS2 in games and then buy a PS2 to PS3 adapter, chain all that together and now my keyboard and mouse work on the PS3 through the 2 adapters. That's a very modern example, but the only one I have any experience with.

The 3DO has a number of arcade style sticks, the original Neo Geo AES came with huge arcade style sticks. Arcade style sticks from 3rd part manufacturers were available for most popular systems from at least the NES days till now. Best Electronics carries a Sega to Atari adapter cable which could open lots of possibilities plus they have a Jaguar to "older Atari systems" adapter cable.

Some "accessible" gaming products: http://www.oneswitch.org.uk/1/AGS.htm

With links to related sites.

This particular site is in the UK, but one should be able to pick up key words for searches there if nothing else. There's a section on adapters as mentioned above.

A link from that site to an interesting document showing some adaptations and high level look at the issue of Physical Barriers to Gaming. I'm keeping a copy of it for a project I'm working on. (There are bits and pieces of this information spread around the site):

http://www.oneswitch.org.uk/2/DOWNLOADS/Ph...al_Barriers.doc

Edited by BigO

I have got a gamecube one, bought it for the Wii, but it does not work.

Im happy to give it to you for postage, but I am in the UK.

Keep me in mind if you can't get anything closer to home.

post-11930-1200491683_thumb.jpg

Think it is this one (at the bottom of a stack in my Garage)

both my daughters are ill at the moment so Daddy time = 0! (I'm a stay at home dad!)

When I get chance to venture into the garage I will get it weighed, and make sure it is the one I pictured.

If I have not got back to you by this time next week, send me a PM to remind me!

Real life makes me forget all this important Atari stuff :roll:

All the best

Mike

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...