IGNORED

7800 Crystal Castles

Curt Vendel

Yup, appears to have been in the works and judging from the fact that the Creative Services Dept in Atari was making a box design, the game should exist someplace, generally they wouldn't go through the cost of creating the box design and label design (most of the invoices with the artwork show outside costs of approx $13,000 per box design) so the game code should exist for 7800 Crystal Castles someplace.

Here is the artwork:

post-23-1200157290_thumb.jpg

Curt

I was surprised to see it as 1988, so there is certainly some possibilities it was worked on, I'm looking through notes now to see if I can find out who may have been the programmer.

Curt

What's the copyright date there?

Yeah, I couldn't see clearly, but I thought it was an 80s. I figure 1988 means it wasn't an early game they may have just been tossing around or a later one they canceled because they discontinued the system. That's pretty much right in the middle of the system's life. Thanks for posting this Curt, now I have something else to wish for. Move over world peace.

Edited by Atarifever

I was surprised to see it as 1988, so there is certainly some possibilities it was worked on, I'm looking through notes now to see if I can find out who may have been the programmer.

Curt

What's the copyright date there?

This doesn't surprise me. My best guess is that the game was worked on back in 84, and canceled when Atari originally pulled the plug on the 7800. Once they decided to give it another go they started looking through what projects that they had lying around from 84 and started to finish off and release those games. A very similar thing happened with Crystal Castles for the XE (nearly finished back in 84, but not released until around 88 or so).

Tempest

• 4 weeks later...