IGNORED

"Hin Seng" cart found

Jek

Hi everybody,

I found a game by a company called "Hin Seng".

It is PAL and it is "Snoopy and the red baron".

Label-artwork and the claim are very cool :-)

post-332-1200216668_thumb.jpg

post-332-1200216698_thumb.jpg

Does anybody know about "Hin Seng"? There is nearly nothing about them on the net.

I only found an info from Rom Hunter in an old topic:

"Hin Seng was the official Atari distributor in Singapore."

Greetings

Jens

Edited by Jek

Hi everybody,

I found a game by a company called "Hin Seng".

It is PAL and it is "Sboopy and the red baron".

Label-artwork and the claim are very cool :-)

post-332-1200216668_thumb.jpg

post-332-1200216698_thumb.jpg

Does anybody know about "Hin Seng"? There is nearly nothing about them on the net.

I only found an info from Rom Hunter in an old topic:

"Hin Seng was the official Atari distributor in Singapore."

Greetings

Jens

AFAIK Planetary Headquarters carts were released in Australia and Hin Seng was indeed the official Atari distributor in Singapore:

http://www.atarimania.com/lst_soft-MENU-2-...UR_ID-2416.html

By looking at the list, they only released Atari > 1983 titles.

8)

What the heck is that picture? It looks like some sort of mesh creature made out of a joystick body... or am I seeing that wrong? Can you post a higher-res photo of that thing please? Looks pretty scary!

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm a moron. I see now it's mesh gloves holding a joystick. I should wake up fully before posting :ponder:

Edited by Mirage1972

What the heck is that picture? It looks like some sort of mesh creature made out of a joystick body... or am I seeing that wrong? Can you post a higher-res photo of that thing please? Looks pretty scary!

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm a moron. I see now it's mesh gloves holding a joystick. I should wake up fully before posting :ponder:

Some guy wearing driveing/gardening gloves holding a joystick.

curse the refresh button lol i didnt see your edit. :D

Edited by wogihao

One odd thing about these carts is that I've now opened 2 different ones up and they have original Atari PCBs inside.

so if Hin Seng was really an official distributor of Atari in Singapore, they would have used originals.

• 12 years later...

Hi all

I recently picked up a Atari 2600 with about 20 games included with it and one of the carts was as above but MARIO BROTHERS.... I've looked on the web  including Ebay, google etc but there's not much information out there so eventually I've ended up here! Great website by the way... All very interesting stuff and any updates as this post is 12 years old?? Also out of the box of games this is the only one which wont run? so any help or information would be greatly appreciated ?

Thanks in advance

Jason

20200610_143140.jpg

Edited by jason smith

Welcome to the forums!

Hin Seng cartridges are from Singapore and are PAL format (as opposed to NTSC), so it may not be compatible with your television.

You can see some information about Hin Seng carts (Singaporean newspaper advertisements, for example) in a Twitter thread that I posted. They are officially licensed by Atari; they're not pirate cartridges.

I'd potentially trade for it, or buy it from you, if you're not looking to keep a neat little collectible.

• Like 1

Hi

Thanks for your response and the info on Twitter?

As what to do with the cartridge I'm not sure at the moment as I've got no intention of collecting those particular carts? also it's not working? I've got to ask the million dollar question... what's it worth out of interest?? Maybe interested in a trade??

Again thanks for the info?

Edited by jason smith

A niche collectible is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I know that's a crappy answer to your million dollar question, but it's the truth.

These don't show up too often, but I'd say that the demand for them isn't all that high, either. One was auctioned in April for around $20 plus shipping. I know, because I won it. :lol:

If this cart is truly not working, though, you should probably expect to take a bit less for it. Give it a good cleaning, even if it looks clean -- maybe it's not completely dead yet.

You can certainly DM me if you're interested in a trade. Maybe I've got some other 2600 title(s) you'd rather have. Alternatively, if you're really interested in knowing the value, start a $0.99 auction. That's always the best way to get a fair answer on value!

I can see releasing the Atari 2600 versions of arcade games in Singapore -- those presumably would have widespread recognition -- but "Snoopy and the Red Barron"?

Was the Peanuts cartoon strip even published in Asia? It seems like an odd choice to release a licensed game in a market where it would have no cultural familiarity (just as how many Japanese anime-based games are never released in North America).

2 hours ago, jhd said:

I can see releasing the Atari 2600 versions of arcade games in Singapore -- those presumably would have widespread recognition -- but "Snoopy and the Red Barron"?

Was the Peanuts cartoon strip even published in Asia? It seems like an odd choice to release a licensed game in a market where it would have no cultural familiarity (just as how many Japanese anime-based games are never released in North America).

Peanuts was published in Singapore newspapers as early as 1961. The country released a stamp featuring Peanuts some years back, and there’s a Snoopy Café that opened there just last year!

• Like 1