IGNORED

Is the 5200 Recommended?

Atari2008

In regards to the 7800 pro system. I had a 7800 when I was probably 7 years old, when my 2600 died. I hated it when I was a kid and I hate it now. Last year I bought another 7800 with about 25 games, tried to give it another chance, but alas, the system continues to let me down every time I try to get into it. Had I known about the 5200 back then I probably would have asked for one of those instead of the 7800. The 7800 has a terrible library of games. Out of about 25-30 games I have, I enjoy 2, where as for the 5200 out of about the same number of games, there are about 2 or 3 I don't enjoy, as what was already mentioned, the 5200 probably has one of the best - bad game ratio of any classic system.

And don't blame the tools because you can't handle them.

Most of the 5200 library is quite playable with the stock controllers. Maybe not optimal, but playable.

I have a comp. pro controller that I use.

If we filled a room up with 500 people and asked them to play Montezuma's Revenge or Super Cobra,

half with stock controllers, half with comp. pro controllers, this would be your results...

comp. pro people : 250 people raving about how the 5200 is an under-rated amazing system.

stock controller people: 250 people saying, 'what a piece of crap, no wonder why it is barely a blip on the classic gaming radar screen'

okay, maybe 245. 5 people might say, 'once I get used to it, maybe it won't utterly suck.'

Interestingly, I love using the stock controllers with Adventure 2. Other than Space Dungeon and Robotron, it's the only

game that really feels like it was made for the controller. (Maybe Star Raiders too...)

So basically it is recommended that you try the 5200 and some of the better titles.

You may like it, you may hate it, but you won't be sitting on the fence.

If you don't like the controllers, may as well get an 800XL/XEGS and save some $$$, as most of the games are the same on both systems

I would say yes. If you're an Atari fan in general there are plenty of fun ports for this console. In addition the trac-ball makes a world of difference for games like Centipede and Missle Command. I have yet to mod a Sega controller or arcade stick for the system but I'm sure from experience using the Wico controller in locked and unlocked X,Y positions it is vital to adding another dimension of game handling. It is funny when you look at how most of the games are enhanced beyond what the 2600 could do so it's a step up, however some of those got updated again with the 7800 so it's a matter of eye candy at that point. For its time and what the programmers did there's a lot of excitement to be had and for the right price dive into it. There are tons of reviews and threads discussing particular games and their comparisons to ports so searches will turn up useful information. Good luck on your adventure into the world of PAM.

And don't blame the tools because you can't handle them.

(saws the head off a claw hammer)

Here, pound some nails into this oak table. If you can't do it, it's your fault!

So I guess that makes me some kind of gaming god, since I find them quite playable on most titles.

Nice to know.

Jess is just mad because he cannot play Gyruss properly. :lol: :P

As for the 5200 it is a pretty ok system and just about has every popular game that came out for the 8-bit pooters. If you get a multicart you can play some of the 800-5200 conversions.

When I got one some time ago I ended up screwing up a couple controllers trying to open them. But in the end just got a redemption adapter and some homemade adapter that let ya hook up PC joysticks. My favorite setup. A redemption connected to a track ball. :D

I recommend the 5200 highly. What a great system.... I've never had an 800 so I can't comment there.

The controllers are good and, if you order a flex circuit from BEST or Ebay they are easy to repair.

Simply ask here on these forums and we can tell you how to take them apart with little to no fuss.

I've rebuilt more than 10 controllers over the years. I use 2 and the others are in Zip lock bags in my attic somewhere. :)

You can also use a WICO, I happen to hate that stick though.

The Trakballs are awesome for the 5200.

You can make a paddle and play Castle Crisis!!!! Ihave a few paddles I've made with stock controllers, and one I made from a WICO stick.

I also want to say that with all this talk about how bad the 5200 controller is, I always thought the USA 7800 stick was the WORST controller in the Atari line up. What a hand cramping piece of crap. Kinda goes along with most 7800 games though.... anyway thats just my opinion. I actualy love the 7800, once I got a couple game pads for it.

I'll post a contrary opinion here... go for an Atari computer instead... either the 800 or the 800XL.

There are very few games that you can play on a 5200 that you can't play on a 800/800XL. And there are literally hundred of games for the computers that aren't available on the 5200.

The computers use good old 2600 joysticks, so no problems there.

It's fairly cheap to aquire a SIO2PC cable, which will allow you to easily download any 8-bit software and try it out for free on the original hardware.

I've owned Atari computers since the 80's and just been incredibly pleased with them. They're terribly underrated as a classic gaming platform.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for your feedback. I've been playing a few of the 5200 titles on emulator, and while I generally like the graphics and the gameplay I'm not necessarily blown away. Maybe I had put too much expectation into it since it was the Atari console I was least familiar with. I do enjoy Pac-Man and like the fact that it has the intermissions, and I like the animation in Mario Bros., I find it very detailed. However many of the games fail to hold my attention, and I keep comparing them to their 2600 counterparts, which although graphically inferior offer similar gameplay, and for some reason I take the 2600's limitations into account and am more patient with it. Plus the library seems rather small, and I haven't been able to find many unique titles (not available on other Atari systems). Not trying to dog the system being that it's just on emulation, but none of the games seem to be really holding my attention. Am I missing something? Some killer game? Thanks!

See i won't play the 2600 counter parts as the 5200 games are much better, games like Moon patrol, Jungle Hunt, Frogger, etc, just kill the 2600 versions. As for holding your attention, I don't fully understand your comment on that. How can a 2600 game hold your attention longer than a 5200 game? Most classic games are about score, rarely do they have an end, it's just the same crap over and over again. I was in your boat once, see posts from JagFan422, I used to bash the 5200 because I didn't understand it, now that I own one, it's completely different. Looking at stuff on computer, screenshots, emu, don't give the system justice. Most screen shots, including the ones on AA make the games look like ass, they are actually much nicer running.

Countermeasure is a good game, Dreadnaught Factor is a great original game. I guess it's your taste in games, my opinion is the 5200 is a huge leap over the 2600. But owning is believing in my opinion and based on personal experience.

I think there is something to be said for real hardware vs. emu. I think that might be part of the reason why the 2600 holds my attention longer because I'm actually comparing a 5200 emu to a real 2600. It must be something with the user interface -- playing on an actual 2600 joystick vs. playing a 5200 game on my keyboard. I guess the only way to be sure would be to buy the system and try it out on the actual hardware. It's funny, I've actually been doing the things mentioned -- reading reviews online, looking at screenshots, and playing emu. Maybe they just don't capture the system.

i can tell you first hand that the actual hardware is night and day. I was a huge nay sayer of the 5200 until I bought one, now you'd have to pry it out of my cold dead hands. no way I can go back to the 2600.

Also, try Real Sports Baseball, it's amazing, best sports game of any classic game system..ever.

EDIT: maybe not try that, probably won't work right with emu, need the real controller in order to swing. pretty slick how the used the controller for the game.

Edited by Atari5200

Sounds like a great deal! It actually leads me to my next question, is the 2-port version rarer than the 4-port? I've restricted my searches to the 2-port only since I don't want to deal with the proprietary switchbox, but I've noticed that the majority of 5200's on eBay are the 4-port model. Also, since the 4-port model's power supply connects to the switchbox, not the console, have there been reliability or safety issues with that?

I'll post a contrary opinion here... go for an Atari computer instead... either the 800 or the 800XL.

There are very few games that you can play on a 5200 that you can't play on a 800/800XL. And there are literally hundred of games for the computers that aren't available on the 5200.

The computers use good old 2600 joysticks, so no problems there.

It's fairly cheap to aquire a SIO2PC cable, which will allow you to easily download any 8-bit software and try it out for free on the original hardware.

I've owned Atari computers since the 80's and just been incredibly pleased with them. They're terribly underrated as a classic gaming platform.

I have a 400, 800,800xl and the XEGS. The extensive library that is available for the Atari 8 bit computers makes it a no brainer when compared to the 5200. You can use any 2600, Sega Genesis, or Commodore compatible controller without making ANY repairs. Spend less money and spend more time playing rather than repairing! I think my 800XL is my favorite.

Missile Command is a good example of a game that has a unique feel with the 5200 controller. It is one game that an emulator (even with analog control) cannot reproduce the feel of. Only dissapointing part is they blew their chance to do three bases.

Edited by Shannon

Honestly, when it comes to the comparison for me, I do like the 5200 better than it's cohorts. I only feel the analog controller is what made it a disaster. Wico controllers work well but are very expensive and not easily obtained. Luckily I have a background in elecronics maintenance and can put controllers together. The keypad and it's overlays are the biggest problem for me. Not the usual fire buttons as most have a problem with. If you get one. Be sure you have good controllers. Otherwise you'll spend alot of time obtaining a good set. :cool: