IGNORED

Missadventure Revised (Adventure hack)

accousticguitar

Now for sale at Good Deal Games.

http://www.gooddealgames.com/inventory/Atari%202600.html

First I must thank Nukey Shay for making the 8k Adventure hack this game is based on. Then I must thank Yorgle who created a whole new kingdom and called it Missadventure. Many thanks to you both for making this great game, and thanks to all the people who answered my many programming questions.

I worked on several things in this version. The randomizing routine in the original version did not separate the objects very well, and there was a screen roll issue when played on original hardware. I moved the room connections around in an attempt to make the bat and the dragons move more freely about the kingdom. I added a warp room and changed the fractured tunnels into a forest because they were too difficult to move around in. You can tell what forest you are in by the color of the trees. I added 2 rooms (a lake and a pyramid) bringing the total number of rooms to 112. As in the original version, the object is to find princess Penelope and bring her back to the emerald palace. She is locked away in one of the 3 original castles or the cave (the one with trees beside it). The red key opens the cave, the emerald palace, and the red castle. There are 5 dragons. I call the blue dragon Bargle, and the baby dragon Squeak. I worked on trying to make every game winnable. The keys should not appear randomly in places where you cant get to them. There are no secret rooms beyond the solid lines. There is one room that you can only get into with the bridge. The bat can pick up the original 3 dragons, but not the other 2. Bargle likes to guard the red key. The magnet will no longer attract the princess, and it will attract the red key. The magnet only works when it is on the screen.

The manual:
Missadventure manual #3.rtf

Dragon's Lair version with 5 fast dragons:
Misadrdl.bin

Flipping dragons where the dragons "flip" to face you when in pursuit.
MissFlip.bin

Development tools by Nukey Shay and Earthquake (use DASM to assemble the text file):
Advent8k.txt
Adventure Builder.zip

post-8785-0-01880400-1502344467_thumb.png

Original version

MisAdRev.bin

Edited by accousticguitar
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

When I was young, Adventure for the Atari 2600 was one of my favorite games. It wasn't perfect though; after playing it many times I found it was too easy to win. I compensated by doing things in such a way that it was harder to win, or if I was bored, I would take the bridge and go exploring. Sometimes I would gather all the objects together in one room and watch the flicker. Other times I would try to get the chalice into the gold castle without carrying it in by using the bat or the magnet. Of course I read about the dot and checked out the secret room.

There was only so much I could do to hold my interest though. I started thinking about what it would be like if I could program 2600 games. I started designing Adventure kingdoms in my head. They were bigger than the original kingdom and had more castles and warp rooms to add to the fun. Before I learned to program, however, Yorgle came out with Missadventure. It had more rooms, more dragons, more objects, and more castles. It also had new mazes that Warren Robinett himself could be proud of.

This is one of the best Adventure hacks around. It is harder than the original game. The catacombs in the cave take a while to figure out, and with over 100 rooms, there are a lot of places to look when searching for a needed object. The dragons have hit points; it takes several tries to kill one and things can get interesting fast with 5 of them roaming the kingdom.

This game is not for the faint of heart, but the challenge makes it fun. So if you like Adventure but find it too easy now, try Missadventure Revised. The Princess awaits. (Rom in post #1)

Edited by accousticguitar

• 2 months later...

I initially heard about (and played) this hack yesterday. It's astonishing -- easily the best VCS hack I've ever played (not to discredit the other gems, like the Wolfenstein game that Venture was made into). This is even better than Indenture, because there aren't tedious catacombs all over the place (and of course the graphics aren't VGA)!

P.S. Just as a super-picky, unimportant little tip, I'm pretty sure it's spelled "MisAdventure," with just the one S. Had to get that in, because I'm me. It doesn't matter.

Thanks to the three of you for this final version. Impeccable work. Adventure's my favorite game too; I'll be hooked on this version for years, as you've breathed a LOT of new life into it. BRAVO!

I initially heard about (and played) this hack yesterday. It's astonishing -- easily the best VCS hack I've ever played (not to discredit the other gems, like the Wolfenstein game that Venture was made into). This is even better than Indenture, because there aren't tedious catacombs all over the place (and of course the graphics aren't VGA)!

P.S. Just as a super-picky, unimportant little tip, I'm pretty sure it's spelled "MisAdventure," with just the one S. Had to get that in, because I'm me. It doesn't matter.

Thanks to the three of you for this final version. Impeccable work. Adventure's my favorite game too; I'll be hooked on this version for years, as you've breathed a LOT of new life into it. BRAVO!

Glad folks are enjoying this. I called earlier versions of my hack "MissAdventure" because I made it for my daughters who loved Mr. Robinett's game as much as I did as a kid. Their only complaint, however, was that it didn't have a princess in it. I figured, hey I can fix that. In the process (thanks to Nukey Shay and others here at AtariAge), I learned something about assembly programming, the difference between an EPROM and a chunk of rock, and how much work actually goes into creating even a relatively straightforward game like Adventure. BTW, I am planning a sequel called Rhindle's Revenge.

Edited by yorgle

That was pretty much my reaction the first time I played Missadventure. I liked it so well I kept pestering Yorgle to finish it. When he didn't have time, I figured it was up to me. Yorgle graciously gave me the commented code to work with and (after finishing college) I began working on it even though I didn't know a thing about 2600 programming. I couldn't even get the code to assemble at first and SeaGtGruff helped me out with that. A couple months later the game was finished and I had learned a little bit about programming the 2600, though many things are still a mystery to me. It was worth it because now I can play the finished version of Missadventure whenever I want. :) I think Yorgle has a knack for game design and I'm looking forward to Rhindle's Revenge!

This is absolutely incredible!!! Thanks to everyone who put in so much work into this one!

I can't believe there are so many adventure fans out there, I thought I was the only one haha. Just a question does trogdor look like the dragon to anyone???

nope

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I added a new version of Missadventure I call the "Dragon's Lair" version. The baby dragon has decided to quit roaming the kingdom and make a home directly on the path to the Emerald Palace. To win the game you must now cross its path twice, once to open the palace and once to take the princess through. The room layout has been altered slightly near the palace to make this version possible. Also, the bat will now chase the princess whenever he sees her on the screen. The dragons are all fast in this version. I even was able to (finally) fix the room gfx data that was crossing pages. Thanks again to Nukey Shay for all his help without which this version would not have been possible. :)

Yep. I remember Yorgle saying that it was a mean one; I'm not sure why. It always seemed to me that it swallows faster than the other dragons. I don't know if that is my imagination or not. I chose the baby dragon for the lair because the bat can't pick it up and it doesn't have anything special to guard (Bargle guards the red key).

• 1 month later...

Hello.

I ran into a similar problem when testing Odyssey. A good solution for breaking them up is making them fear each other or having just one fear the other. This reduces the chances of having several dragons of the same speed grouping together as one, making it easy on the player.

My first post was obviously too short, so I'll try to be more clear on what I meant. When I was playing the Dragon's Lair version today, I had a second dragon join the baby dragon in the lair. I was able to get through okay because both dragons moved at the same speed and I was able to get them both to bite at the same time. That enabled me to run through the lair like there was only one dragon there because they moved as one from that point. My solution to that problem would be to have one dragon moving slower than the other one so that even if they both were to bite at the same time, the following movements would not be synchronous. Non-synchronous movements would have made it harder for me to get through the lair.

So, my post was an idea that popped into my head that I could make the game even more challenging by keeping 2 dragons in the lair at all times but have them moving at different speeds. I think that would truly be difficult. I've tried the dragons fearing each other idea before but I didn't really like it. I like it when they gang up on me. Also, and I may be wrong about this, but it seems to me that the dragon's position when biting wouldn't make much difference in whether the 2 dragons would move synchronously or not. Hopefully, I've explained myself better this time. I know that I have a tendency to make my posts too short and leave people wondering what in the world I meant. Hey, I knew what I meant, isn't that all that matters? :)

If you really want to improve on Adventure, why not make the dragons be able to face the direction it's moving in? After all, there is a built in player register to flip the graphics. It should have been done that way from the start. I've been waiting 30 years for that.

Edited by mos6507