IGNORED

Idea for using 1200xl at office

yorgle

In order to justify the continued keeping of my collection of atari computers, I feel I should put at least one of them to work at my office. I have an index card file with about 10K of cards identifying files (the paper kind) that have been closed over the years. Each card contains a client name, a file number, a one or two word description of the type of file, and the date the file was closed. I would love to enter this information into a database using my Atari, but is this realistic given the large number of records that would be needed? Each record would only need 5-6 fields with no more than 30 characters per field. I have a copy of DataPerfect but no manual so I haven't been able to even figure out enough to try it. Any suggestions? Am I dreaming?

You are definitely not dreaming...

You could use an IBM clone running linux and any open source database program... Then you can use your 1200XL with an SIO2PC to use a terminal program to access the linux database. :)

Or something like that hehehe.

In order to justify the continued keeping of my collection of atari computers, I feel I should put at least one of them to work at my office. I have an index card file with about 10K of cards identifying files (the paper kind) that have been closed over the years. Each card contains a client name, a file number, a one or two word description of the type of file, and the date the file was closed. I would love to enter this information into a database using my Atari, but is this realistic given the large number of records that would be needed? Each record would only need 5-6 fields with no more than 30 characters per field. I have a copy of DataPerfect but no manual so I haven't been able to even figure out enough to try it. Any suggestions? Am I dreaming?

several companies have made excellent "rolodex" type software packages for the atari.

I think one was like an add-on to the HomePak collection of applications. Might have been called HomeCard or something of the like..

Seems like ANTIC also released so type of rolodex card type program at some point..

• 5 weeks later...
Hadn't considered sio2pc but that's a great idea. I take it there are no stock 8bit database programs that could handle that many records?

Hi,

I noticed the reference to DataPerfect and thought I could provide this info... It is still available as a free download on a GPL licence at http://dataperfect.nl . Also manuals and ebooks are available. DataPerfect runs on MS-DOS and all the Microsoft Windows and non-Microsoft versions of MS-DOS. It can store millions of records in fully relational tables, and each table limited only in size by the operating system. It has an incredibly small application footprint, the executable being only about 170kb in size. It is blindingly fast, stable and easy to use It can be web enabled, thru CGI programming. there is an active mailinglist for support questions, and ideas.

Regards

Brian

Hadn't considered sio2pc but that's a great idea. I take it there are no stock 8bit database programs that could handle that many records?

Hi,

I noticed the reference to DataPerfect and thought I could provide this info... It is still available as a free download on a GPL licence at http://dataperfect.nl . Also manuals and ebooks are available. DataPerfect runs on MS-DOS and all the Microsoft Windows and non-Microsoft versions of MS-DOS. It can store millions of records in fully relational tables, and each table limited only in size by the operating system. It has an incredibly small application footprint, the executable being only about 170kb in size. It is blindingly fast, stable and easy to use It can be web enabled, thru CGI programming. there is an active mailinglist for support questions, and ideas.

Regards

Brian

Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to check it out.

Other things you could use your 1200XL is for typing letters.

I found out I really need 'simplicity' to make good text-work. A typewriter is not right for me, I need to be able to erase words, and copy/paste. All modern programs on PC/MAC are fabulous, but they can do TOO MUCH and besides that, If I'm on the Mac or PC I got distracted all the time by Internet and all that.

And like you: I needed another good reason to keep all my beloved atari's (I already have enough reasons... oh cool, that is a nice idea of a new topic btw.)

So I un-dusted my trusty Star LC20 printer and bought new ribbons. They are still available (those ribbons) and connected it to my Atari. After a few experiments I found out the print quality is really good enough in NLQ to use for modern letters.

With TextPro you have a nice wordprocessor, and when you get used to it (it is 40 column width on the screen) you really can manage yourself to make nice documents.

After 2 weeks of playing around with TextPro I found a really GREAT print-system called Daisy Dot II. That is really A M A Z I N G. I never thought (and never knew!) the Atari 8bit was able to print such wonderfull print. It is almost DTP-Style.

I write my texts in TextPro and I use the txt-format-codes from Daisy Dot, and then I start Daisy Dot and print my text. Daisy Dot uses graphic fonts, and i never thought it would be that fast. It comes with a nice font-set, and has a few tools on the disk (like a atari font -> daisy dot font converter) and a font-editor.

With that editor I made myself an EURO-sign. In europe we have the Euro as a currency, but I would NEVER believed I would print an EURO symbol on my Star printer, or with my 800XL.

It really needs some excercise to use a Word Processor on atari these days. And in combination with Daisty Dot it is even a little harder. But when you get used to it, it is great. I'll make a nice print one of these days, and scan it. then I'll upload it to here, or somewhere on the Net, and you'll see what great prints the Atari can do.

Good luck with that.

Marius

I remember the Antic program, and in fact I have it...used it to store phone numbers and such. I also wrote a BASIC program for my 1200xL that kept track of my Dad's inventory...I think it coul dbe modified to do what you want to do. Either way, send me and email and I can try and copy the ANTIC program for you onto a disk. (they are almost 30 yrs old, but I think they will be fine).

tcropper@satx.net is my contact email. Thanks!

I remember the Antic program, and in fact I have it...used it to store phone numbers and such. I also wrote a BASIC program for my 1200xL that kept track of my Dad's inventory...I think it coul dbe modified to do what you want to do. Either way, send me and email and I can try and copy the ANTIC program for you onto a disk. (they are almost 30 yrs old, but I think they will be fine).

tcropper@satx.net is my contact email. Thanks!

Email sent. Thanks much.