IGNORED

Atari 2600 manufactured in New Zealand

recoil

I believe this is the first I've heard of one made in New Zealand. Other places of manufacture include Sunnyvale California U.S.A (of course), Taiwan (several different makers there), Ireland (some of the late "Junior" model), and -- I think -- Singapore. Sorry, no idea about regional production figures.

I believe this is the first I've heard of one made in New Zealand. Other places of manufacture include Sunnyvale California U.S.A (of course), Taiwan (several different makers there), Ireland (some of the late "Junior" model), and -- I think -- Singapore. Sorry, no idea about regional production figures.

Quite a few 2600 consoles were made here in New Zealand by "Monano Distributors" and they are relatively easy to find second hand.

Monaco also sold Atari cartridges here that have the boxes marked "Made" or "Assembled" in New Zealand.

And as people tracking label variations will know there are some unique New Zealand Silver labels for games that have no Sivler label anywhere else etc.

Basically at the time in New Zealand there were strict import licenses and conditions around the importation of Consumer Electronic and one way around this was to add in Pertcentage of "locally produced / assembled" components into the item.

Having talked to people involved with Monaco they definately did not make the items here from the ground up.

This is little breakdown of how it was done.

Consoles - main PCBs imported, Case produced locally, PSU locally, box locally printed, Assembled in New Zealand.

Games - PCBs imported, some cases locally made, some imported, Boxes locally printed, Some manuals printed locally but most imported and the back page overstickered with "Made in NZ" stickers.

Another NZ collector has a few pictures of the games here.

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~pinwhiz/nz2600.htm

One of the odd things is its quite common to find NZ 2600 Cartridges with the labels from other Atari games (and not NZ labels) underneath the NZ sticker which makes me wonder how much Atari reused & onsold stocks of surplus cartridge shells and boards.

Really like the silver label Adventure, Dodge 'Em and Berzerk, they look classy.

Recoil, what kind of car is that in your avatar?

It's a Ford Falcon xa 1973 coupe. You may recognise it from the Mad Max ( Road warrior ) movies.

post-17521-1200898482_thumb.jpg

Edited by recoil

Quite a few 2600 consoles were made here in New Zealand by "Monano Distributors" and they are relatively easy to find second hand.

Monaco also sold Atari cartridges here that have the boxes marked "Made" or "Assembled" in New Zealand.

And as people tracking label variations will know there are some unique New Zealand Silver labels for games that have no Sivler label anywhere else etc.

Basically at the time in New Zealand there were strict import licenses and conditions around the importation of Consumer Electronic and one way around this was to add in Pertcentage of "locally produced / assembled" components into the item.

Having talked to people involved with Monaco they definately did not make the items here from the ground up.

Consoles - main PCBs imported, Case produced locally, PSU locally, box locally printed, Assembled in New Zealand.

Games - PCBs imported, some cases locally made, some imported, Boxes locally printed, Some manuals printed locally but most imported and the back page overstickered with "Made in NZ" stickers.

One of the odd things is its quite common to find NZ 2600 Cartridges with the labels from other Atari games (and not NZ labels) underneath the NZ sticker which makes me wonder how much Atari reused & onsold stocks of surplus cartridge shells and boards.

It's a bloody shame I don't own one single NZ cart scan that's good enough to add to our database.

This empty list is almost two years old now:

http://www.atarimania.com/lst_soft.php?MEN...n_sauver=Search

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

Thanks, recoil, kind of figured it was an Aussie muscle car. Keep reading how certain people high up in Ford USA want to bring some Aussie Fords up here, specifically the Falcon, various Utes, etc., but think they'll "confuse" American buyers used to the Taurus, Explorer, etc.

Still, now that GM is rebadging Holdens for the US market, anything's possible...

Came all those Kiwi games along in silver boxes?

It would be great to see a Snoopy or Pigs in Space silver box..... :)

Sadly those ones definately did NOT come out here in Silver boxes. :(

Alpha Beam with Ernie, Big Birds Egg Catch & Cookie Monster Munch also came in standard PAL boxes.

It's a bloody shame I don't own one single NZ cart scan that's good enough to add to our database.

This empty list is almost two years old now:

http://www.atarimania.com/lst_soft.php?MEN...n_sauver=Search

8)

PM me your requirements and I'll see what I can do in terms of NZ carts and boxes. I have quite a few already but expect you have high standards.

+ I have a couple of Sales Brochures that need archiving.

Sadly I don't have NZ Silver boxed versions myself of some I'd really like myself. (Adventure and Haunted House are on my most wanted list)

There are also silver and white versions of some labels as well so its a little "Monaco Silver"

PM me your requirements and I'll see what I can do in terms of NZ carts and boxes. I have quite a few already but expect you have high standards.

+ I have a couple of Sales Brochures that need archiving.

Sadly I don't have NZ Silver boxed versions myself of some I'd really like myself. (Adventure and Haunted House are on my most wanted list)

There are also silver and white versions of some labels as well so its a little "Monaco Silver"

Carts scans between 400 and 500 pix. width at 300 DPI.

Box scans between 600 and 700 pix. width at 300 DPI.

Every scan is welcome, because I have nothing useful yet to add.

8)

Not yet.

Thanks, Recoil!

Although I can use your scans, I don't think these are true Monaco carts.

I'm especially looking for the ones with the rounded label corners:

post-6203-1201003575_thumb.jpg

8)

Recoil - yes Rom is correct the ones you posted are not Monaco New Zealand boxes, they look like Generic PAL boxes.

Here's some examples of the backs of the boxes, carts and a close up of a Monaco "Made in NZ" box back.

Generally Monaco boxes (with a few exceptions) aren't Multi-language and they always have the "Made in NZ" on them.

Note: "Dodge 'Em" illustrates another problem with collecting these, in that while some games have Silver boxes, the cart inside may not have a Silver label.

post-3649-1201029699_thumb.jpg

post-3649-1201029714_thumb.jpg

post-3649-1201029722_thumb.jpg

post-3649-1201029730_thumb.jpg