IGNORED

Gamma Attack

Phantom

Neato! Anyone have any more info on this game? I've never heard of this company or game.

I'm looking...but I've got zilch so far.

There is another thread that Phantom bumped and Slapdash does describe this game.

Here is what Slapdash says.

The Gamma Attack ad ran ONCE, in EG, and it was in the fine print for another Gammation product (I think a "rapid-fire" adaptor). I was afraid to order it, thinking it looked a little fly-by-night. But I should have! Actually, it's quite possible I wouldn't have had the money anyway...

Wow, congrats Phantom it looks like you have a once in a ten lifetime find. :cool: :D :cool: :D So many questions. Is this an NTSC game? Was it made in America? This is going to be interesting. We have never had a one of a kind game land in the hands of a seller of Atari 2600 games before. Thanks for sharing and good luck. :)

NTSC YES

MAde in USA? Havent a frickin clue but assume it was made by gammation and if they were in the USA then yes.

You call me a seller but maybe when you realize this isnt available for any cost, maybe then you will realize youre wrong.

To all of you, This is the reason I collect. TODAY! This game is going absoulutely nowhere. I cant imagine what it would be worth yet I imagine it is valuable but it will be more valuable on my deathbed as well. I do want to share this and Im asking people I trust presently how to do just that but I wont be rushing into anything with this and I am going to enjoy it. A few people here know I want to share it. ist one of the first things that popped in my mind but i also dont want to see fakes popping up all over if this truly is one of a kind. What would you all do? As I told Rom Hunter, Im so giddy, I cant think straight. I want nothing more to share this but It will be discussed with people i trust and wont be rushed into by any stretch and is NOT FOR SALE. Thanks and now Im off I hope and I will report back later with game play and such. Cheers

Well cool than keep it. Makes no difference to me. You do sell a lot so I guess I thought you were going to sell it. Be proud of what you have it's a cool item. I have a feeling though that this may not get dumped after all. If that is the case then it will end up like Good Luck Charlie Brown, Birthday Mania, Red Sea Crossing, and Pink Panther. Remember this though Phantom. There is a chance the cart could die on you and the info would be lost to the world forever.

Everything I sell I have a double of so why should I keep a double? Heck i'll buy a game just for a better lable and then i have to recoup some from my original copy. I recently took a bit of a bath on games I resold because they are now doubles if you compare them to the singles prices I originally bought them at. I also do alot, and I mean alot of trading just go look at my lengthy recommended list.

Im not sure what is going to happen with this yet as Ive had it for about 6 hours now. I want to share this and I am presently seeking advice as to the best way to do it without a bunch of fakes popping up. This is fun new territory for me and Im not rushing into anything but i do want fellow collectors to have this somehow and when I get all the advice in and ingest it all, I will figure out whats best for it. if it dies in the near future than it wasnt meant to be and this ROM wont be dumped without me present regardless of how much I trust someone. i dont know how to dump it myself but if it means a trip to Ohio or somewhere, thats what i'll do. If it lasted this long, I assume it will last another month or so. The original is not for sale, end of that story. Seriously why else do you think I spend all my time hunting down games in so many different ways? To resell them? If that was the reason, it isnt very profitable IMPOV. No I spend all my time and money collecting and most people that know me and dont understand why i collect would say i waste my time but ya know what? Today made every search ever, worth every second and every dollar Ive ever spent. I am that happy about this find. How many times do i have to say i want to share this? I just want to seek the best advice as I would think any of you would. If I was this big seller, I suppose I would already have this figured out then and though I trust my judgement to be in the ballpark on most games for atari 2600, I wouldnt even know where to begin with the possible value of this but just knowing I have a game that no one else has AFAIK and that I can help them to eventually actually have a copy and play it, its a great feeling. Cheers

PS: Just finished dinner. Im going to go play now for about an hour and then report what I can about the game. Cheers

Edited by Phantom

PS: Just finished dinner. Im going to go play now for about an hour and then report what I can about the game. Cheers

Looking forward to hearing about the gameplay. I hope it turns out to be a good game rather than just another rare game that's a dud! I certainly can understand your excitement. I'd be beside myself with such a find, I can't even imagine. Have fun!

Ok this is what Ive discovered thus far and I will try to say it as Im telling a story of the game I just played as that should be easier to follow along and not forget anything.

It has 4 game slections 1-4.

what they do i dont really know but it seems to make it harder and faster.

Weird thing is it plays out of port #2 only and is 1 player it appears. Maybe it uses both ports somehow as I can move in port 1 but cant shoot.

You are the UFO shooting the tanks.

You can go up and down and right and left.

But it only shoots to the left at one continuous angle.

It appears it keeps covering the same ground and never gets anywhere but i need to play it longer because either its real easy or real hard.

It also could be a proto or they just left it at this stage and considered it done because it is playable but when you die, you are on the ground in a heap but the game continues on though you cant fire and the tanks bullets do not hit you they go through so I assume this is the end, atleast for now. You can move the heap but you just scroll along the same terrain. Never says GAME OVER. It definately gets harder as you go with more tanks and faster firing bullets. You startt out being able to move Up and down but as you get hit and crash to the ground, you drop a bit with each hit and you seem to never be able to regain your height once youve dropped unless theres more to the game than Ive discovered as of yet. needless to say a manual would be great to figure some of this stuff out. It appears you dont have lives only your range of motion is your lifeline so to speak. I need to try more and different things tomorrow and report on it more. It does seem to change levels but not visibly, more autmatically as it gets harder with each wave and you really cant tell where the wave ends but it kinda gets barren of tanks going right makes this occur more, like a safe zone of sorts, so I think you need to keep going left but you can tell another wave arrived as it gets harder and more tanks appear yet it doesnt say wave 2, wave 3 etc like Stargate. I hope this helps all who are curious and its the best I can do for now. I dont think i forgot anything but if I have i will surely edit this post. Thanks to everyone who said congrats and I want to personally send my congrats to headfamily as he is a new Papi today :) . Here's to 2 great discoveries on this fine day. They should name the child Gamma IMO, lol. Seriously, :) Congrats to your entire family for this blessing Kev. :)

Take care All. Cheers, Ant :)

Edited by Phantom

Thanks for the gameplay report!

What are the sounds like? Do they sound familiar, like from any other 2600 game?

Youre welcome.

It doesnt really play like anything Ive ever played. Thats the best thing about it thus far. Im hoping there is more to the game and damn I wish someone had some kinda manual as you would think it was sold originally with some manual no matter how small.

The sounds doesnt ring a bell off the top but it to me sounds like a mix of combat and something else, maybe laserblast or megamania. I dont think its either one of those though but it does remind me of a mix of that and that would kinda make sense too. I am going to have to concentrate on it when I play it next for the sound as well. Good point and thanks again for everyones excitement as some of it almost rivals my own and this is a day i will never forget even if the game turns out not to be as exciting as I think it couldve been made into or could be but Im hoping. either way its fun for me presently. Damn wheres that manual? Would love to find the creator of this now. Cheers

Edited by Phantom

Damn wheres that manual? Would love to find the creator of this now. Cheers

If it's a proto (which I think it may be), there may never have been a manual. Just because the game was advertised doesn't mean it was actually released. I guess we'll find out (hopefully).

By the looks of the cart, that's a strong possibility.

The labels look like you wanted to not spend a lot back then on it but you wanted it to look as nice as possible for the money because they appear proffesional though small. Each lable is different in color as well and the weird thing is it says only the company name but maybe if you were trying to get your name out there, that would appear to be their idea with labels like this atleast to me. I cant say its a proto because isnt this about right before the crash and is probably why they only made one game IMO. They may have rushed it out for various reasons even if it was just to try to recoup what they could if they saw the end was near. To me it smells of a game that wasnt finished yet they hurried it out and tried to sell as mnay copies as they could but to lil avail. I think the game, if it was started by a different company or at a different time, would have been worked on more and had the potentiual to be better than it may be but again, there is more things to try and why it would work in port 2 makes me wondr if they had wanted to originally use both ports at once or a different controller or maybe a controller they wanted to make. It smacks of a game that is finished as far as they were going to try to sell to whomever would buy but if the creator had more time, would have been much better. Hopefully i discover more that is unkown to me but i cant help but feel this was rushed to market for some reason. Cheers

Edited by Phantom

Just a thought here, but you may want to try a different controller in port 1. GI Joe: Cobra Strike for the 2600 uses paddles in port 1 and a joystick in port 2, so one player controls the Cobra and the other the Joe's guns.

I was thinking that as well and trried that on my 7800 but I took it to the 2600 Jr I had hooked up because the I wanted to try the rapid fire extension I have and it doesnt fit on the angle of the 7800 ports because the rapid fire EXT is too thick. It wont go on all the way without damaging the port. So I went to the Jr and just played with the joy in port 2 but i will definately try more combinations tomorrow. I really love being a werido collector of different attachments and controllers in general as it really comes in handy when wanting to try different things with any game and this game needs tinkering to find out what eaxcatly they had in mind if indeed there is more to this game than what Ive already posted. Imactually quite wiped and I think Im going to go have a drink and try to get to sleep because I put so much off today that i didnt get done, that I must get up early and get some of that stuff done and tomroow night i shall be back after I played this game some more. Id say around 10ish if all goes well but if that plan changes, who knows I may have an insomnia atack and be posting here at 4 am as that happens enough anyhow. Niters all and take care ;) :)

Much congrats on your find, Phantom. I know you must be quite proud of it. I know I would be if I came across something like that. :D

I don't really have much to throw on the table. Except for the game operating on joystick port 2 might just be the way the game was programmed to work. After all, Towering Inferno does this.

Much congrats on your find, Phantom. I know you must be quite proud of it. I know I would be if I came across something like that. :D

I don't really have much to throw on the table. Except for the game operating on joystick port 2 might just be the way the game was programmed to work. After all, Towering Inferno does this.

Good point. I havent played that game in ages but I will definatley be comparing it tomorrow to this one. Now Im sleepy enough to sleep so to the sandman I now go. Cheers! What A Day! I know I will never forget it and is why this original cart wont be for sale at any price. Sweet Dreams..

Edited by Phantom

The Gamma Attack ad ran ONCE, in EG, and it was in the fine print for another Gammation product (I think a "rapid-fire" adaptor). I was afraid to order it, thinking it looked a little fly-by-night. But I should have! Actually, it's quite possible I wouldn't have had the money anyway...

This is the only Gammation ad I could find (EG, December, 1982). However - I don't have the January 1983 issue, so it's possible a follow-up ad mentioning the game might have appeared there. (I'd really like to complete my run of EG magazines someday.)

post-2641-1201341563_thumb.jpg

This is the only Gammation ad I could find (EG, December, 1982). However - I don't have the January 1983 issue, so it's possible a follow-up ad mentioning the game might have appeared there. (I'd really like to complete my run of EG magazines someday.)

Using the information in that ad, I was able to locate the person responsible for Gammation.

Unfortunately, he's long dead...he died in 1993. :woozy:

Looks like the trail ends here.

:(

Using the information in that ad, I was able to locate the person responsible for Gammation.

Unfortunately, he's long dead...he died in 1993. :woozy:

Looks like the trail ends here.

:(

Damn that does not bode well :| Mind you look at the TUG game. No one has any idea where that came from either but once in a while miracules do happen. Just a case of keeping fingers crossed ;)

I have to agree with what has been mentioned before. Find someone near you with a cart-dumper and back that thing up. It's too rare to let just die as it will eventually, without even a copy of the code.

I hope you enjoy it, and that a few dupes can be made(with different labels, of course). This kinda stuff never happens to me, so I'm happy for you!