IGNORED

Gamma Attack

Phantom

Nice find Phantom!

I can understand how he feels about this find. He would like to share the ROM with everyone yet he doesn't want to see some loser start selling them all over the internet and taking credit for his discovery.

I think I'd send a copy of the ROM to Al or some other person you can trust not to make additional copies and let them do some extensive game testing. If it seems like it is a complete game, then sell it through AA for some period of time. AtariAge has been here for ages and would give you credit without you having to worry about some jerk trying to rip you off.

After you are happy with the sales, then you could make the ROM public. Or you could also sell it through AA and also release the ROM as has been done with previous finds like Alligator People.

I'm not telling you what to do Phantom - just offering some thought as to what I'd maybe do if I was in your situation.

Have fun!

I swear, every time I don't come here for a week someone finds some crazy rare game no one has ever seen. :D

I love this hobby :thumbsup:

Awesome find, man!

I suppose that's the beauty of classic systems, you can never definitively say "I own every game" because weird stuff like this happens. Other than the occasional Taiwanese pirate cart, this sort of thing almost never happens with modern systems.

Tempest

Phantom--I tried sending you a PM but your inbox is full. Please delete some messages or move them to another folder.

Of course it's full.... all those "I'll give you a hundred bucks for your game" messages take up room, you know! :)

Seriously - well done Phantom! You've just reminded everybody why it's impossible to have a complete Atari 2600 collection of games.

I wonder how much the big shots (Rick Weis, Wonder007 etc.) are offering/have offered him....

For goodness sake, though, make sure you dump it? The ROM won't last very much longer - you're very lucky it's still working at all, as it'll be an EPROM - and when it's gone you'll have a very rare brick.

Plus I want to make my own cart. :)

The Gamma Attack ad ran ONCE, in EG, and it was in the fine print for another Gammation product (I think a "rapid-fire" adaptor). I was afraid to order it, thinking it looked a little fly-by-night. But I should have! Actually, it's quite possible I wouldn't have had the money anyway...

This is the only Gammation ad I could find (EG, December, 1982). However - I don't have the January 1983 issue, so it's possible a follow-up ad mentioning the game might have appeared there. (I'd really like to complete my run of EG magazines someday.)

post-2641-1201341563_thumb.jpg

Did any other company make rapidfire adaptors like this or only Gammation?

Phantom--I tried sending you a PM but your inbox is full. Please delete some messages or move them to another folder.

Of course it's full.... all those "I'll give you a hundred bucks for your game" messages take up room, you know! :)

Seriously - well done Phantom! You've just reminded everybody why it's impossible to have a complete Atari 2600 collection of games.

I wonder how much the big shots (Rick Weis, Wonder007 etc.) are offering/have offered him....

For goodness sake, though, make sure you dump it? The ROM won't last very much longer - you're very lucky it's still working at all, as it'll be an EPROM - and when it's gone you'll have a very rare brick.

Plus I want to make my own cart. :)

I will not offer him anything because he has stated it is not for sale. I am happy that a new game has been found and it is in good hands with Ant..... :) Again Ant, great find!!!! :)

Thanks all for the congrats and kind words.

This is still up in the air about how to go about getting this out to the community.

One idea (and the best thusfar) is to make repros and eventually dump the ROM. If theres enough interest, this would be the best solution but I am not going to dump it and then see other people making money off repros for the next few years I spend too much money on my hobby to watch somone else profit from my find and they most certainly would. This way it will definately get into the community and dumped at some point in the not too distant future. If there is a lack of interest in buying repros then Im not sure what the next step is. I'd like to keep it and If I sold repros and then dumped it I would but like I said, if there isnt enough interest, to tell you the truth I dont even want the responsibilty at that point.

If the repro interest isnt there, then I think i will eventually sell it to the highest bidder and then its that persons decision to dump it, not mine. I will be dumping it for myself regardless and it will not be made public if I sell the Original unless somehow that is OKed by the new owner.

Im not just dumping it and letting other people make repros and make money off of something that Ive spent years in time and money to get lucky enough to find. Thats honest and thats why Im writing to tell you, the truth. Im hoping the repros have enough interest because I do want to keep the Original, even if the value is hurt by dumping it eventually, but if that interest does not materialize, then I really dont even want the responsibilty of owning it and then the dump would become the new owners issue and he can be hounded for it.

I've set up a new email account to handle this because I dont want some long thread with "please give me #42" if there is such a thing and this happens. I also dont want to clog up this thread with that stuff as I will be reporting on this game and its gameplay in the thread more when I have more time.

So if you are interested in purchasing a copy of this game, please send an email to gammaattack@yahoo.com

state your AA handle, CIB or L (for loose) and the last thing in the subject line should be your Country you live in to ship to.

Now you arent obviously oblidged to buy but please do NOT send an email unless you seriously would like one please. These will all ship on the same date in the future and this will happen as fast as is humanly possible if its a go but it should still take quite a bit of time to pull off.

Other notes you may send when you send this short email requesting to be on the list are if you are interested in a box & Manual or not. That would be limited if that happens at all but since theres a slight possibility, this would be a good time to find out. Also they will be eventually numbered in the final product if this happens. When this gets closer to a go, i will go back and reply to every email and ask if you have a number you want in order that the person sent the request for a game so if you sent the 1st email stating you would like a copy, then you get 1st choice of number. I get that number and write the next person asking which number and in that email I state which numbers are taken and go right down the list til Im done and all have numbers so it is important that you quickly get back to me when I do ask for a number or it may be arbitrarily given and that reminds me, if # does NOT matter to you, please state that in your initial email to help me not waste time on them. Do Not, however, start sending numbers in the original emails. Just state what Ive asked in the body and in the Subject line, state your AA handle, CIB or L (for loose) and the last thing in the subject line should be your Country you live in to ship to and automatically the email means you want a copy and if you would like a Boxed one, write CIB next to your AA name in the subject line. Not that thats even close to a definate as none of this is but it would make it easy if I wanted to find how many CIBs were sought at any point. if Ive forgot anything that seems of interest to anyone, please post that now and I will update these instructions here if need be. I think Ive thought it out well (how to handle this) and you can start sending emails whenever you wish. Absoultely NO PMs on buying the game. My mailbox here in AA could get swamped rather quickly and I dont want that. Please speak up now and post if you have any questions or concerns.

If this is a go, I also want to hold a Label contest and if that happens, I want everyone to be involved in choosing it. There will be a Poll after all submissions were in and I myself will only vote once. Winner would get a free copy of the game for winning the label contest. Only people purchasing the game would be invited to vote on the label. I may also have a contest for a free copy or 2 or more depending on how well this all goes. I would then refund the winner(s) as I have in the past, just ask the winner of the Lynx adapters I sold just before Xmas. Its easy to do and Im an honest guy. So let me know what ya all think and if you really think its awful that Im asking, then I will probably just sell it and leave that headache to the new owner and you can all bother him to dump it. If I were well off, I wouldnt blink by just dumping it but that is not the case. Infact, I am the exact opposite of that unless I sold my collection, only then I would have a few dollars in my pocket but thats like asking a junkie to give up smack. Believe me, some family members have asked.

So I hope you all like this idea. The exact cost cant be decided just yet and of course CIBs would be considerably more if that even materializes. Loose, It will be less than $50 for sure shipped priority but its too early to know the exact price. If I forgot anything or you have any question, state that now but dont clog up the thread with repetitive questions please. Thanks for reading and send emails if you want one as the email account is ready to go. Cheers, Ant :)

Again, if you are interested in purchasing a copy of this game, please send an email to:

gammaattack@yahoo.com

Please have in the Subject line. state your AA handle, CIB or L (for loose) and the last thing in the subject line should be your Country you live in to ship to

For example:

Phantom, L, USA even put the state if you wish at the end if in the USA

Thats it for now. Everyone that emails that address will automatically be taken as you want a Gamma Attack game so there is no need for writing that out unless you want to.

Body * State ONLY if a certain number does NOT matter to you. Just type # does NOT matter in the body with any other comment you have.

Edited by Phantom

I like this approach. It sounds very fair.

I think depending on gameplay, it would drum up a lot of interest for purchases.

If the game looks fun, I think more people would consider it than if it seems kinda boring.

Is there any chance to provide a small video of gameplay?

-John

Hey Phantom you certainly have a wise head on your shoulders. This is a good idea and a very fair one too. I am sure that a lot of people will take advantage of your offer and I wish you all the best with the enterprise. I just wish others were like you but I guess that is asking for that little bit too much ;)

One idea (and the best thusfar) is to make repros and eventually dump the ROM.

You mean eventually distribute the ROM...you have to dump it to make repros. ;)

Yes but Im not going to dump it to the public til the repros are released is what I meant.

I dont begrudge anyone using it on a CC2 and such but I do not want to see a mass exodus to evilbay once this is dumped so if I can sell the repros and theres enough interest, then thats what I'll do, but of its a handful of people, then its back to the drawing board. Also they will be numbered maybe even with the name of the persons AA in initial form so after they are sold, any other I would consider a fake if its not part of the run for AA members so if theyre popping up for sale later, then I can atleast tell that. Also is why I want a different lable made with someones imagination because another "legit" copy wont be popping up because the color of the real labels is a secret and will remain so. If i dont get enough interest, Wonder and others will probably get a chance to buy it and then they can be hounded for the ROM but im not going to just dump it and let guys like Randy and Hozer and atari2600.com sell it as their own. Atleast to the point where AA members wont have to buy from them and most sales by that point would hopefully been made. I personally cant make a game. Shawn Sr will definately be involved if not others depending on what the final decision is. I will be dumping the ROM and on my PC it will sit for safe keeping regardless of the outcme so the game is not lost. Thats about it.

Cheers

Carnival time.

Can't blame you, Phantom.

I guess it's the best thing to do.

Good luck!

8)

Thanks and does anyone here doubt repros would be sold anyhow by guys like Randy and others?

Why should I help them make money? If the original is going to be devalued at all, and there is some differing opinions on that, then this Idea sits well with me. It would appear everyone gets what they want in the end if this is a go. Cheers

Edited by Phantom