IGNORED

Mega CD model 1 turns on, but doesn't read audio cds?

311fan

Cleaning your laser is the first step in solving your problem. If it still persists afterwards, you might need to adjust the POTs(don't ask me how) or replace your laser as a last resort.

tried cleaning the laser and that didn't do it.

tried playing around with the gears that move the laser and drive, and that didn't do it.

anyone else have any ideas?

My vote would be that it is pretty broken. I don't think I've ever seen a SegaCD that has had a bad laser - it has always been the standard blown fuse or a screwed up CD tray.

The motor goes bad as well.

Still the original models are a lot more reliable than the side loaders or any of the combos (CDX, E-eye or Wondermega)

My vote would be that it is pretty broken. I don't think I've ever seen a SegaCD that has had a bad laser - it has always been the standard blown fuse or a screwed up CD tray.

what do you mean by screwed up CD tray?

that seems to be the problem i have with mine. It keeps acknowledging an open tray even after i close the tray. And if i put a disc in, it just pops back out again. The laser assembly looks solid, and the gears moving the tray are not stripped, but it doesn't raise the deck of the laser and its board while it closes.

what do you mean by screwed up CD tray?

that seems to be the problem i have with mine. It keeps acknowledging an open tray even after i close the tray. And if i put a disc in, it just pops back out again. The laser assembly looks solid, and the gears moving the tray are not stripped, but it doesn't raise the deck of the laser and its board while it closes.

What I mean is when the tray is no longer in the proper position due to some sort of abuse. It sounds like that is probably the problem you are having - and good luck - I've never been able to fully fix this problem. The closest I ever came was to snap off the plastic pieces that hold the tray down and insert the tray from the top. This made it so that it was in the right position, but I never took the time to work something out to hold the tray down properly.

Sega CD 1's that keep ejecting can be:

1 - Closed tray switch not being activated. If they've been taken apart & not put back together properly, the limit switch never gets tripped. There is a large timing gear with little plastic nubs that activate the limit switches. This can also cause it to recall the tray for no reason once opened - if the open switch never gets closed.

2 - Stretched belt on laser mechanism. The initial Sega CDs have a bad design that swings the entire large laser assembly down to load a CD. When you push the tray in, the mech swings up, locks in place, and engages the CD. If the belt is old / stretched, it can't make it the last little bit to lock it in.