IGNORED

Interesting Read On The Casual Wii

Mendon

Found THIS article regarding the "casual gamer" and "Wii game sales" and thought it was a very interesting read.

In an introduction to the article, one paragraph stood out for me:

"He then wonders out loud if Super Smash Bros. Brawl will actually sell as well as we all think it will. "It is hardcore, but it is popular hardcore? Is it a fit for the Wii audience? My guess is: not so much." He expects a fairly strong first month with a large drop-off, much like Super Mario Galaxy. In other words, it'll sell well, but not as well as a DS game about petting a dog."

Hmmm... Brawl will sell well in the beginning but not as well as a DS dog petting game. Interesting thought.

Anyway, thought I'd share what I thougth was an interesting and thought provoking read. And no... I'm not trying to start a "Casual vs Hardcore" gamer war or that a particular style of gaming is good or bad. Just thought it was an interesting read about the direction that gaming is taking (or trying to take), especially on.

Mendon

Edited by Mendon

Found THIS article regarding the "casual gamer" and "Wii game sales" and thought it was a very interesting read.

In an introduction to the article, one paragraph stood out for me:

"He then wonders out loud if Super Smash Bros. Brawl will actually sell as well as we all think it will. "It is hardcore, but it is popular hardcore? Is it a fit for the Wii audience? My guess is: not so much." He expects a fairly strong first month with a large drop-off, much like Super Mario Galaxy. In other words, it'll sell well, but not as well as a DS game about petting a dog."

Hmmm... Brawl will sell well in the beginning but not as well as a DS dog petting game. Interesting thought.

Anyway, thought I'd share what I thougth was an interesting and thought provoking read. And no... I'm not trying to start a "Casual vs Hardcore" gamer war or that a particular style of gaming is good or bad. Just thought it was an interesting read about the direction that gaming is taking (or trying to take), especially on.

Of course it won't sell as well as the "dog petting" game. Nintendogs has had incredible sales which continue month after month. The DS is in far more hands than the Wii and Nintendogs is one of the must buy titles (especially for a younger age group).

The perfect use of the Wii controller... a doggy toy. :P

Seriously... I've never understood the appeal of Nintendogs.

If you want to play with dogs, get a real one, doggy sit, work for a shelter or whatever... but a videogame???

Have you ever played it?

It's actually pretty fun for a while. It did get old after a week or so though.

Have you ever played it?

It's actually pretty fun for a while. It did get old after a week or so though.

I think Nintendo's actually got these lines engraved on a plaque inside their corporate headquarters. :)

To be fair, I don't think grown up classic gamers were really their intended audience. Nintendogs really appeals more to the age group that are now buying Webkins in force - and I think with that group of gamers it probably stays fun for more than a week or so.