IGNORED

ABBUC Hardware Contest 2008

iznogud

Hello Larry

Will any pictures be available of the entries?

Pictures will probably become available in the next couple of days or weeks.

... I'm a little surprised since most of these entries appear to have been done before (except the mouse interface and the accelerator board).

Let me explain a little:

1. SDrive von Robert Petruzela und Radek Sterba

This one can be build for something like 5-8 US dollars. The SIO2SD will cost easily 5 times as much. Those displays are fairly expensive.

2. CMI08 PS/2-Mausinterface von Christian Krüger

Connect a PS/2 mouse (or USB mouse, via a USB2PS2 convertor which are used on PC's too) to your Atari. Can be used in Trakball-mode (CX20), touch tablet mode (CX77) and paddle mode (CX30). ST-Mouse mode will be added.

3. 16x OS-Umschalter PLUS / BIOS4Config von Christoph Büssow

Use 4 buttons and an LCD display to:

- select one of up to 16 OSses, by their name

- select Bernd Herale's expansion's operation mode (see below)

- select Stereo or Mono if you have a dual Pokey upgrade

- switch BASIC on and off (or did it only show if it's on or off, not sure)

- maybe even more

- you can set the default status of the above

4. 512K SRAM-Erweiterung von Bernd Herale

A 512kB memory upgrade (XE style) that can be switched on, off, in RAMBO 256kB mode or CompyShop 256kB mode. CompyShop mode means 256kB plus separate ANTIC and CPU access. Bernd added a battery, so data inside the expansion isn't lost when the computer is turned off.

5. ASCB (ABBUC SIO Connector Board) von Wolfram Fischer

An interface that enables us to use RJ45 (not all SIO signal supported) of DB15 connectors instead of SIO connectors.

6. 7.16 Mhz Beschleuniger Board von Bob Woolley

Bob's 7.16 MHz speedup board.

Greetings

Mathy

-Larry

SDrive is possible to produce (parts only) for about $15 , Mathy :-)

Its the cheapest standalone mass storage device so far.

SDrive is completey Open Source, we will get not only schematics, but also

Sourcecode to ATmega8 firmware and the configuration software.

SDrive can mount any single file on SD card (up to 8MB large with MyDOS)

and serves it as a virtual single density disk with this file inside to the Atari.

This enables you to copy downloaded files into your large ATR images

without help of a PC tool.

Additionaly, executable files can be booted. A bootloader is then pre-loaded.

you can alter the memory location of this bootloader for maximum compatibility.

These are unique and new features, and they convinced the voters.

The rest like

- highspeed SIO

- mounting up to 4 files/images at one time

- .ATR images up to 16 MB size supported

- up to 4 SDrives can be connected to 1 Atari

are of course not new.

All entries got high votes, even the last one got almost 300 points.

So the competition was hard.

The reason why Bob's entry collected the smallest vote count is simple: The 1200XL was never sold to Europe.

Its very rare here, and those who own one, most probably keep it stock, just for collectors.

If it was build to fit 800XL in first place, maybe things would be different.

So, congratulations and thanks to all of you, this was the best hardware contest we ever had!

I like this new drive because you can select files or disks on the tv instead of using a tiny lcd screen.

Can't you do that on the latest version of SIO2SD using an XEX file?

Interesting. Can someone explain me how?

Check this link:

http://sio2sd.gucio.pl/index_en.html

I did this a long time ago, but IIRC after I upgraded the firmware, I downloaded the SIO2SD.XEX file, and it worked perfectly.

Here's a screenshot I just took from my SIO2SD config running on my XE system.

post-8008-1224975795_thumb.jpg

-Larry

Edited by Larry

Can be used in Trakball-mode (CX20)

CX20 is correct, but this is not the 'Trakball' but the driving controller (acts like a paddle which can be turned over).

There is actually no application for 'our machine' which uses the kind of controller (at least I don't know one), but

this mode is very useful if someone likes to support relative movements with the mouse.

The ST-mouse-mode is about to be supported, but IMHO it is somewhat superfluous, since the 8 bit has to work

hard to keep track with the movements. Patching ST-mouse-applications to support the CX77 mode frees a lot CPU time.

Anyhow, in the future I would like to see an A800 game with four players/mice simultaneously - something impossible to

write for ST-mice... (imagine something like a tug-of-war game...)

CU

Irgendwer

Hello Irgendwer

The ST-mouse-mode is about to be supported, but IMHO it is somewhat superfluous, since the 8 bit has to work hard to keep track with the movements. Patching ST-mouse-applications to support the CX77 mode frees a lot CPU time.

So that means you haven't read the article by John Maris in MOUSE.ARC on my Special Stuff page. :sad: :_( :(

Greetings

Mathy

I bet for this:

A 512kB memory upgrade (XE style) that can be switched on, off, in RAMBO 256kB mode or CompyShop 256kB mode. CompyShop mode means 256kB plus separate ANTIC and CPU access. Bernd added a battery, so data inside the expansion isn't lost when the computer is turned off.

Any additional info about?

So that means you haven't read the article by John Maris in MOUSE.ARC on my Special Stuff page. :sad: :_( :(

I knew this already and made my statement with this knowledge: The 6502 has to do much more work when tracking pulses compared to just reading a single register.

Additionally if he misses a pulse (fast mouse movement) the positioning information will be lost. This is not the case when using the interface: The paddle/resistor value persist in the interface and can be queried at any time without loosing information.

CU

Irgendwer

Edited by Irgendwer

Hello Allas

The MMU has to be removed (desoldered or taken out of it's socket) as well as two other chips IIRC. If the chips are not socketed, sockets will have to be soldered in. Small PCB's are pressed into these sockets and some (but not a lot) wires are soldered from the PCB's to points on the motherboard. Or maybe just to each other. I'm not sure. I'm not sure how much the upgrade costs, but AFAIK mega-hz is/will be selling the upgrade.

Bernd is known here as BigBen, he can tell you more about the upgrade. (read: I don't know the upgrade as well as he does)

Greetings

Mathy

I am very hopeful that the accelerator(s) will allow some useful mouse applications. Point and click...

Supporting the interface is very simple - even in basic. Just write an app supporting the CX77 - there is plenty documentation for this case...

I'll be interested to see the pictures of your interface.

:?: :?: :?: But there is already a picture of the interface in this thread!? :?: :?: :?:

CU

Irgendwer

Congrats to 2nd place!

Thank you.

Schematics? Controller Software? Pleeeeeeaaaase!!

It will be so cool to play around with this!

I'm sure it's not your intention to ruin my business... ;)

The next steps are:

* finalizing the ST-mouse-emulation

* revise the PCB-routing, since the ST-mouse-button-emulation needs the trigger line, which is unused up to now

* taking subscriptions to estimate the number of units for the PCB-order (no one likes to do the interface on a grid-style PC board - belief me...)

* shipping the do-it-yourself KIT (with all parts & programmed µC). Actually I see no chance to release a fully assembled device. (I think about a compromise where for an extra charge at least the small SMD-parts are soldered on the board.)

Depending on the orders (PCB volume discount!) I expect a price between € 22,- and € 28,- per KIT.

I hope I can launch production phase before X-mas. I keep you informed. I'm NOT taking orders NOW!

CU

Irgendwer

Edited by Irgendwer

I bet for this:

Any additional info about?

Bernds intention is to place all schematics and needed information to replicate this ram extension under an open source or creative commons license. The data will appear very soon, probably somehwere on the ABBUC homepage.

Carsten

I like this new drive because you can select files or disks on the tv instead of using a tiny lcd screen.

Can't you do that on the latest version of SIO2SD using an XEX file?

Interesting. Can someone explain me how?

Check this link:

http://sio2sd.gucio.pl/index_en.htm

The "l" is missing: http://sio2sd.gucio.pl/index_en.html

I did this a long time ago, but IIRC after I upgraded the firmware, I downloaded the SIO2SD.XEX file, and it worked perfectly.

I can´t find such a file there. Where is it?

Here's a screenshot I just took from my SIO2SD config running on my XE system.

That´s e-x-a-c-t-l-y what I´m looking for, but I can´t find it. :-(

Hello skr

Use the search function of your browser. It's on the page. Otherwise, look for software version 2.0 (the 14.xxx MHz version). From there, it's the third link. Right behind "configuration tool for Atari"

Greetings

Mathy

Edited by Mathy

That´s e-x-a-c-t-l-y what I´m looking for, but I can´t find it. :-(

Sorry about the missing "l" (html).

Presumably you've found the file by now with Mathy's good suggestion.

-Larry

Yes, I´ve found the file, but didnt´t need it. I already have V2.4. But I don´t know how to access the SIO2SD from the Atari like it is shown at the screenshot. I only know how to control with the 5 keys.

Yes, I´ve found the file, but didnt´t need it. I already have V2.4. But I don´t know how to access the SIO2SD from the Atari like it is shown at the screenshot. I only know how to control with the 5 keys.

You need to set the config tool load option to your preference. By default it should only load when there is no SD card in the slot.

Options are:

cfg tool load (when to override D1 to load configuration program)

never
 startup+shift - only when SHIFT was pressed during startup (power on)
 every startup
 no card - only if SD card is not inserted (default setting)
 shift pressed - SHIFT always cause D1 override (tested on every SIO 'S' command on D1 - available from version 2.2)