IGNORED

joust for coleco: no sound?

CARTRIDGE STEALER

I dont have any sound. why is that? i checked the settings and the sound option is checked.

The game itself is an unfinished prototype. There's no sound because it was never programmed in the software.

THANKS!!

I wonder if the sound from an atari 5200 game would work if I added it to the folder. do you think its compatible?

I dont have any sound. why is that? i checked the settings and the sound option is checked.

The game itself is an unfinished prototype. There's no sound because it was never programmed in the software.

THANKS!!

I wonder if the sound from an atari 5200 game would work if I added it to the folder. do you think its compatible?

Nope. This isn't MAME, you know. ColecoVision emulation doesn't work with sound samples.

THANKS!!

Nope. This isn't MAME, you know. ColecoVision emulation doesn't work with sound samples.

:( thanks!

ok, Im assuming that this proto type is only the emmulation version that doesnt have sound, correct? I wish someone would add it like the coleco cartridge did!

There is no cart of Joust for the CV, it was never finished and released.

oh! I thought it was legit because it was on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Coleco-Vision-JOUST_W0...1QQcmdZViewItem

this is a fake?

ok, Im assuming that this proto type is only the emmulation version that doesnt have sound, correct? I wish someone would add it like the coleco cartridge did!

this is a fake?

I never saw those repros, I stand corrected, it was released.

this is a fake?

I never saw those repros, I stand corrected, it was released.

They were available for a short time from AtariAge but they were later pulled, I believe, due to a request/demand from Atari.

They were available for a short time from AtariAge but they were later pulled, I believe, due to a request/demand from Atari.

It must have been a really short time, I've been around for 6 years and lurked on the Nexis and don't remember ever seeing those. I would have most likely ordered one if I had seen it. Oh well I guess I missed out.

I talked to the sound programmer and he said that he had completed the sound for Coleco Joust. So it exists (well it DID at one point anyway), but just not in the prototype we have.

You better tell Andy or Bob to work on a new one. :P

It must have been a really short time, I've been around for 6 years and lurked on the Nexis and don't remember ever seeing those. I would have most likely ordered one if I had seen it. Oh well I guess I missed out.

They were sold at 2002 CGE by both AtariAge and Digital Press (different labels), IIRC.

I got mine from the AtariAge online store. I don't remember how long they were up for sale though.

I'm not sure if this has ever been mentioned about CV Joust, but there's a bunch of different game variations that can be accessed with the keypad. I don't remember the numbers that you push, but I know one of them lets you advance levels without having to complete them. The more times you press the number, the more levels you skip. It's a great way to see all the different levels of the game and to see how difficult it is at the end. This feature is most likely there because it was a prototype used by programmers still testing out the game.

Pushing other numbers did other things too, but I can't remember exactly what. I want to say that you could become invincible, or get an increase of lives, or play without any enemies on the screen, but all three probably aren't true.

I'll try to find some time to play it so I can more accurately document the game variations. If you didn't know about these variations, then be sure to try it out yourself. They're pretty cool.

+ Nathan

I'm not sure if this has ever been mentioned about CV Joust, but there's a bunch of different game variations that can be accessed with the keypad. I don't remember the numbers that you push, but I know one of them lets you advance levels without having to complete them. The more times you press the number, the more levels you skip. It's a great way to see all the different levels of the game and to see how difficult it is at the end. This feature is most likely there because it was a prototype used by programmers still testing out the game.

Pushing other numbers did other things too, but I can't remember exactly what. I want to say that you could become invincible, or get an increase of lives, or play without any enemies on the screen, but all three probably aren't true.

I'll try to find some time to play it so I can more accurately document the game variations. If you didn't know about these variations, then be sure to try it out yourself. They're pretty cool.

+ Nathan

Will have to give this a go myself. How did you find out about this?

I talked to the sound programmer and he said that he had completed the sound for Coleco Joust. So it exists (well it DID at one point anyway), but just not in the prototype we have.

Tempest

I have the source code for the sound from the same programmer, but I don't think there is a way to add it in....

Tempest

I have the source code for the sound from the same programmer, but I don't think there is a way to add it in....

for the cartridge or for the rom?

Tempest

Wow - to be able to embed the sound code into the game and have a complete version of Joust would be awesome. Maybe someone on the ColecoVision homebrew scene would be up for the challenge. I'll post a message on the ColecoVision programming board to see if anyone is up for it (assuming you'd be willing to let them have a copy of the source code).

Will have to give this a go myself. How did you find out about this?

One day while I was playing, I just started pushing buttons... I know, Sherlock I'm not.

So I played it tonight and I now remember what extra things you can do. While playing a game, you can do one of four things by pushing buttons on the keypad:

1) You can pause it by pushing [#]

2) You can instantly advance to the next wave, receiving the bonus points for "completing" it, by pushing [8]

3) You can put the game into slow motion by holding down [1], [2], [3], or [4]. The higher the number, the slower the game gets.

4) You can turn the sound on by pushing [0]... Just kidding. Wanted to make sure if anyone was paying attention.

But the first three actions really do work, so check them out.

+ Nathan