IGNORED

130XE runs 'the show' - UPDATE on 'script roller' system!

Noelio

Well I'll be!

Here's the pics of the custom peripheral!

I looked at the connectors and they are actually standard 75 ohm cable type connectors yet one is terminated.

This is really getting interesting now!

My camera on my phone wont capture with enough detail to make out any lettering on the chips, nor will the scanner so here goes:

larger motorola chip :

mc3359p

ilds8916

small motorola chip:

lm393n

ikpn

The MC3359P is a narrow band FM IF. I think what is happening is the MC3359P is receiving a modulated signal riding on the baseband video and converting it to an audio signal. Then the LM393, which is a Low Power Voltage Dual Comparator, is feeding the data into the Atari much like a cassette drive such as a 410 or 1010. The Atari cassette drives use a similar circuit after the signal from the tape heads have been amplified and just before the SIO port.

Here is the Datasheet for the MC3359P:

MC3359P.pdf

I wonder what would happen if you fed it a .tap file? btw: I bought one of these from the same seller. He has more than 10 left according to the auction:

atari 130xe tv scroller box

update:

same ebay seller has this for sale as well:

Amiga audio/video demodulator card

this might have been used in conjunction with the card attached to the sio port on the atari 130xe

Edited by Mark_Wolfe

update: [sorry no edit post tag on my posts in this thread for some reason]

got word from the seller about the box:

these are neat little boxes. They used to run the rolling scripts for TV Guide company, and each box controlled a broadcast for a different channel nationwide. I don't know the answers right off the bat to your questions.... I had my tech guy power each of them up for testing. I am not sure to what extent he tested them, but he gave them the "OK" so I submitted them for listing. When we received them from TV Guide after they closed down here in Tulsa, we were told that they were in use up to just a few years ago and had no known problems.

Well I'll be!

Here's the pics of the custom peripheral!

I looked at the connectors and they are actually standard 75 ohm cable type connectors yet one is terminated.

This is really getting interesting now!

My camera on my phone wont capture with enough detail to make out any lettering on the chips, nor will the scanner so here goes:

larger motorola chip :

mc3359p

ilds8916

small motorola chip:

lm393n

ikpn

The MC3359P is a narrow band FM IF. I think what is happening is the MC3359P is receiving a modulated signal riding on the baseband video and converting it to an audio signal. Then the LM393, which is a Low Power Voltage Dual Comparator, is feeding the data into the Atari much like a cassette drive such as a 410 or 1010. The Atari cassette drives use a similar circuit after the signal from the tape heads have been amplified and just before the SIO port.

Here is the Datasheet for the MC3359P:

MC3359P.pdf

I wonder what would happen if you fed it a .tap file? btw: I bought one of these from the same seller. He has more than 10 left according to the auction:

update:

same ebay seller has this for sale as well:

Amiga audio/video demodulator card

this might have been used in conjunction with the card attached to the sio port on the atari 130xe

That goes in the video expansion slot of an A2000/A3000.. Its just a video output card.

Yeah you are right. Now that I think about it.. Your probably right.. It probably decodes the baseband signal off the video, and sends it out that DB9, which youd hook to the serial port of the AMIGA.. Additionally, the AMiga has the ability to output NTSC video over the same cable..

(just a guess).. But the AMIGA might not have worked in conjunction with the ATARI.. It may have been the REPLACEMENT for it.. Who knows..

Edited by MEtalGuy66

Yeah you are right. Now that I think about it.. Your probably right.. It probably decodes the baseband signal off the video, and sends it out that DB9, which youd hook to the serial port of the AMIGA.. Additionally, the AMiga has the ability to output NTSC video over the same cable..

(just a guess).. But the AMIGA might not have worked in conjunction with the ATARI.. It may have been the REPLACEMENT for it.. Who knows..

read my earlier post, the guy said that the atari was in use as recently as a few years ago at a TV Guide station in Tulsa, OK

My "guess", which I assure you is probably not as good as yours but IS based on some of yours and others earlier conclusions, is that the special sio card on the atari is what was earlier reported, a way by which data can be streamed to it much like a datasette and that the data emanated from another computer that most likely controlled the full output signal and given the use of Amiga 2000 and 3000 in broadcast television all over the world, this amiga was probably the main controller of the full signal that appeared to viewers, where part of the screen was program data and the another part was full frame NTSC video of upcoming program previews and commercials

this would explain why the program in the cartridge slot on the atari would not work for anyone when they tried to boot it up and they got "no keyboard" errors.

just a guess

Edited by Mark_Wolfe

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
I have a couple of 800XLs and 800s that were used for something similar. The 800XLs have a steel case bolted to the top with a battery backup system and a couple electrical outlets that can be switched on and off by the XL.

The 800s have custom software on a plug in card, the 800XLs had carts installed under the steel case.

http://www.atarimax.com/technfo/cgi800/

http://www.atarimax.com/technfo/cgixl/

Steve

What is sad is its been a while and no one has dumped these ROMs or made them available

I have a couple of 800XLs and 800s that were used for something similar. The 800XLs have a steel case bolted to the top with a battery backup system and a couple electrical outlets that can be switched on and off by the XL.

The 800s have custom software on a plug in card, the 800XLs had carts installed under the steel case.

Steve

What is sad is its been a while and no one has dumped these ROMs or made them available

which ROMs? check posts #7 & #8 ... or were you referring to something else? if so, what? I have this scroller system and will gladly dump anything that hasn't been yet if possible

• 2 weeks later...

Steve

which ROMs? check posts #7 & #8 ... or were you referring to something else? if so, what? I have this scroller system and will gladly dump anything that hasn't been yet if possible

He's referring to the Teleprompter software Steve found with the 800s and 800XLs. I had hoped to get a copy myself, as I just bought a Teleprompter 130XE from a local media company. It ran off of floppy disks, not cartridge or ROM, and the company I bought it from has since lost the software.

It sounds like his machines and mine are the only ones that were actually Teleprompters, not scrolling TV Guide type items.

So I have to assume the software is different. Still, I did D/L the ones in this link and I'll give them a try at some point. The computer itself doesn't work correctly, but I'd be interested to see how the custom controllers work with Teleprompt software.

I might PM Steve and ask him about it, if he doesn't respond to this post.

Cheers,

Smeg

btw: I bought one of these from the same seller. He has more than 10 left according to the auction:

For the helluva it, I pulled up that auction. They're all gone now, but only sold out in April 2009, a couple months ago. Odd thing, to me anyway... I see one person bought the remaining 9 (!!). I wonder who that was, and why they needed nine? If there were still one available, I might've bought it.

Cheers,

Smeg