IGNORED

Lords Of Midnight - C64->Atari port

Wrathchild

If you don't want to sell the game, I think .atr is the best solution.

Many of us have SIO2PC or SIO2SD.

I was thinking this as well. Although, even if you were going to sell the finished product (not sure where you would stand with copyright on LoM though), ATR could still be a viable alternative, allowing buyers to purchase a download of an ATR image to use via SIO2PC

I guess non of us would sell conversions... ;)

Yes, it isn't all that easy ;-)

Most of the old games are still having copyrights. Making conversions for free no one takes care about.

But, getting money for them you have to get admittance from the copyright keeper.... and... perhaps, he wants some money aswell.

Selling a remake for some Dollars, Pounds, or Euros easily can bring payments between 100 and 1000 of them ;-)

as I am still in the software and games industry... I never would take another publishers or studios product make a new loading screen and sell it... or like taking Tolkin's Lord of the Ring books... and reprint the stuff with new cover and getting the money from the sales... ;) so imho what I am doing here with MetaLlamas is taking Jeff's work with "new cover" so...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I just joined this forum after seeing a link to it in the UK's Micro Mart magazine. As a longstanding LOM fan, I wanted first off to say congratulations! I'm looking forward to getting an emulator (the only Atari I ever owned was a 2600) and trying it out.

With regards copyright - Mike Singleton (the original author) has stated that he welcomes remakes as long as they respect his copyright and are not commercial in nature. The only arena where he does not want anyone to build LOM games in is mobile phones. Presumably he sees some scope for a future phone-based LOM version which can make some money.

There are quite a few LOM clones out there now. Probably the best know are Chris Wild's conversions at Icemark.com. There is a splendid DirectX version, Java versions, handheld game console versions, etc. Also, there is Midnight/MU, which is a multi-player browser-based version which I developed over several years, and which has now been handed over to a new team of developers (way too much of my life was being sucked into it! ;) ) If you visit either site, you will see links to a Yahoo Group and the very active Midnight/MU forums, where all things LOM and DDR are discussed. Feel free to drop by and let people know about your conversion. I have posted a link back to here within the M/MU forums, but there's nothing quite like the author him/herself telling us about their efforts.

Again, congrats on your work.

Jean-Yves

Hi Sparrowhawk!

It was great to read all of that Lords of Midnight stuff. I got a copy of the game on the Spectrum shortly after it was released, played it until I had beaten it, and then bought the original game (more than one copy, in fact).

Even the text of the back-story in the manual is very well-written, and it will be great to have a version for the A8.

Hi Sparrowhawk!

It was great to read all of that Lords of Midnight stuff. I got a copy of the game on the Spectrum shortly after it was released, played it until I had beaten it, and then bought the original game (more than one copy, in fact).

Even the text of the back-story in the manual is very well-written, and it will be great to have a version for the A8.

Well, thanks for popping over and filling in the details - always nice to know what's going on in the LOM world. :)

I've taken the liberty of linking to this post from the Yahoo Lords of Midnight eGroup also - there are a few developers who hang out there who are not on the M/MU forums, and they may be able to help you out with your technical quetions re the C64's LOM drawing routines.

If you ever get the urge, feel free to ask in the M/MU forums for a game of multiplayer LOM - new victims, ahem, players are always welcome ;)