IGNORED

a couple of oddities

27ace27

The metal shield is missing from the cartridge bay door, HAL:

atari400door1.jpg

The circuit board seems to be bubbling out a bit - fairly natural for really old gear.

could I get a new shielding? and do you know if a 5200 power adapter would KILL a 400?

According to the Best Electronics catalog, the Atari 400 uses a 9V AC power supply (18.5W for the 400-only supply, 50W for the universal one), where the 5200 uses a dual 9.3V/11.3V DC power supply. In other words, don't plug the 5200 supply into this computer!

Edited by bcombee

According to the Best Electronics catalog, the Atari 400 uses a 9V AC power supply (18.5W for the 400-only supply, 50W for the universal one), where the 5200 uses a dual 9.3V/11.3V DC power supply. In other words, don't plug the 5200 supply into this computer!

its sooooooooo tempting

well, you could plug it in but it won't work. it shouldn't damage the computer how ever.

the ram in the 400 and the 800 need +12V, +5V and -5V to work. all of which is derived from the 9V ac.

james

well, you could plug it in but it won't work. it shouldn't damage the computer how ever.

the ram in the 400 and the 800 need +12V, +5V and -5V to work. all of which is derived from the 9V ac.

james

so it wouldnt kill it?

As for the "moisture looking" or "bubbling out"--don't worry, that appearance is normal. In most cases, it is an unusually thick layer of solder, flow-coated over the circuit traces during manufacture. Then they apply a protective green coating over that to prevent oxidation. All in all, it's a good thing.

That shield is not necessary. The only way to get another one would be from a donor machine, or you could always cut your own fom a thin sheet of aluminum.

Stephen Anderson

so what would bo the specs? how long/wide/thick/ and the angle of the bend so i can get one machened

For that missing spacebar piece, you could probably make your own using that one as a template, just find a piece of plastic of about the same thickness and use and exacto/razor knife to trim it to the same shape, then use a drill to cut the hole (get a proper bit that fits the width, then make two holes spaced for the oval shape then use the razor knife to cut the rest out.

For that missing spacebar piece, you could probably make your own using that one as a template, just find a piece of plastic of about the same thickness and use and exacto/razor knife to trim it to the same shape, then use a drill to cut the hole (get a proper bit that fits the width, then make two holes spaced for the oval shape then use the razor knife to cut the rest out.

BUT I DONT HAVE ONE RIGHT NOW, THAT IS WHY I ASKED FOR THE SPECS!!!

BUT I DONT HAVE ONE RIGHT NOW, THAT IS WHY I ASKED FOR THE SPECS!!!

oh wait the spacebar... sorry :D