IGNORED

Colecovision Controllers, anyone have this joystick type?

Phantom

I have got a pair of CV controllers that have black ball like joysticks inserted where the wheel would be on a normal stock controller. Are these someones mod or did they make these available at one time as I cant find info or a pic of them anywhere on the net and Ive never seen them before. I guess when i get time and I get home, I will take a few pics to show you what I mean but if anyone elses knows what Im talking about, where can I find more info on them? They look just like a stock controller but have a joystick kinda with a ball end, all black and they are about the best working CV controllers Ive ever used. These are what they should have made the Stock ones into from the beginning. If anyone has a pic of what Im talking about handy, please post it or I will eventually. Seriously they are by far the best CV joysticks Ive ever used. Cheers :)

Edited by Phantom

I have got a pair of CV controllers that have black ball like joysticks inserted where the wheel would be on a normal stock controller. Are these someones mod or did they make these available at one time as I cant find info or a pic of them anywhere on the net and Ive never seen them before. I guess when i get time and I get home, I will take a few pics to show you what I mean but if anyone elses knows what Im talking about, where can I find more info on them? They look just like a stock controller but have a joystick kinda with a ball end, all black and they are about the best working CV controllers Ive ever used. These are what they should have made the Stock ones into from the beginning. If anyone has a pic of what Im talking about handy, please post it or I will eventually. Seriously they are by far the best CV joysticks Ive ever used. Cheers :)

They sound like the "Grabber Balls" referred to in the ColecoVision FAQ (http://www.digitpress.com/faq/colecov.txt) although they're described as being red.

I've never seen a picture of these either so look forward to seeing yours. I recently picked up some old "Easi-Grips" that clip over the ColecoVision controller joystick to make it a handle that you can grip in your clenched hand. They're in a sealed packet and so haven't opened or tried them out.

Edited by Ikrananka

Can't help you on this one, but I would like to use this opportunity to say that I tried sending you a PM last night to inform you that I received Sector Alpha yesterday, but your PM box is full. :)

Thanks for letting me know.

And Im surprised you dont know what they are nor ever appear to of heard of them.

They appear to be factory made and they are by far the easiest ever to use for CV!

I cant understand why they wouldnt make them all this way after playing with them.

If it was money, they should be ashamed because I cant see this being that muc more to make than their silly disc stick or whetever its called.

Any info from anyone ever, please drop a line as I cant find nothing about em. Cheers :)

I think I found a clearer pic of the same joystick, first one on the page:

http://www.geocities.com/djslacker1/coleco...ontrollers.html

It says "Manufactured by: Wico ??" but I don't know how accurate that is.

I wouldnt think Wico. Why wouldnt they do that to their own Red controllers then?

They would have been much better with that sort of thing.

Coleco is all over these with no mention of Wico as well. I would think they would have attached there name on the back or cord if they partnered up for these.

It could be just the tops swapped out but it feels like it was made at the factory and

feels like its one piece. Im not going to try to pull it up and off because i dont care about it enough

to screw them up by accident. Thanks for the link and its neat to know I have everything on that list they have there now. Joy Sensors work well too.

Man thoses are sweet controllers Ant you always have some cool stuff. -Jboy

Thanks for the comment Jboy.

Surprises like this are always fun for me as well.

Its always fun to see what info can be obtained out here in the forums.

What are those Joy Sensors like? I saw them in an issue of Electronic Fun years ago and they reminded me of the Turbo Touch controllers for the Genesis and Super NES. Instead of a joypad, these controllers have touch-sensitive pads similar to the ones on modern laptop computers.

What are those Joy Sensors like? I saw them in an issue of Electronic Fun years ago and they reminded me of the Turbo Touch controllers for the Genesis and Super NES. Instead of a joypad, these controllers have touch-sensitive pads similar to the ones on modern laptop computers.

I can tell you the lil I tried the Super NES ones, I didnt like em and I never tried the Genny ones.

The JOY Sensor works great and has excellent response directionally and buttons wise. I dont use it as much because Im afraid to wear it out as they are very HTF.

If you can find one, all I can add is I think they are one of the best controllers for the system.

Cheers :)

I can tell you the lil I tried the Super NES ones, I didnt like em and I never tried the Genny ones.

The JOY Sensor works great and has excellent response directionally and buttons wise. I dont use it as much because Im afraid to wear it out as they are very HTF.

If you can find one, all I can add is I think they are one of the best controllers for the system.

Cheers :)

Sorry, but I have to disagree, as far as the CV version is concerned. While I don't have a problem with the directional sensor disk at the bottom of the Joy Sensor (the one I have works pretty well, IMO), this controller is completely ruined by a major design flaw: They made the two fire buttons as keypad buttons, and placed them at the top of the controller. That makes the buttons insanely uncomfortable to use, because if you hold the controller with one hand, and use the other hand to press a direction on the sensor disk, you pretty much need a third hand to press any of the buttons on the keypad. This wouldn't normally be a problem if we were talking about the regular 12-key keypad like the one on the regular CV controller, but with the fire buttons placed where they are, it just doesn't work. If they had put the fire buttons on the sides of the Joy Sensor as real trigger buttons, it would have been near perfect. As it is, it's completely unusable for any length of time.

Edited by Pixelboy

Good for directionals, terrible fire buttons. The only stick that has worse fire buttons is the CV Wico stick which has hard, almost immobile hunks of plastic as fire buttons. I have a Joy Sensor but I don't use it much because of those crap fire buttons. It's a shame because the directional is very responsive and there's no hand fatigue using it. If this thing weren't kind of rare, I'd probably just wire in good fire buttons and then this thing would be great.

Yes I do tend to lie on the floor and use that as my 3rd hand but I am impressed as you both seem to be with the responsiveness. Much better than the similar ones ive used for different and the strange part is, newer systems they were made for which you think they would have atleast been on a par responsiveness wise being newer like the SNES one Ive tried. Maybe it was just a bad controller?

It's funny, most of the pictures on: http://www.geocities.com/djslacker1/coleco...ontrollers.html

look like they are taken from my site (some of them cropped):

evg2000

From what I remember I purchased the 'balls' that replace the disk on top of the controller from G.A.M.E.S in Van Nuys, CA, I also bought an atari 2600 controller from them. I believe they both were manufactured for them. I may still have the packaging at home (currently on a business trip). If I recall correctly they came in a plastic bag with a piece of cardboard folded in half and stapled to the top of the bag with their name printed on it.

Well if it is a push on, it is extremely secure and it does look a bit different from the pic on your site.

Either way, if you can get a ball and puch it on and take the disc off, i suggest you do as Its night and day to use. Thanks for the post. Cheers.

Well if it is a push on, it is extremely secure and it does look a bit different from the pic on your site.

Either way, if you can get a ball and puch it on and take the disc off, i suggest you do as Its night and day to use. Thanks for the post. Cheers.

If I recall correctly, you remove the silver disk on the top of the original flat controller top, remove the screw, put on the 'ball' and use the screw to hold it in place. It's been been like 25 years since I bought it so it's hard to remember the details

If I recall correctly, you remove the silver disk on the top of the original flat controller top, remove the screw, put on the 'ball' and use the screw to hold it in place. It's been been like 25 years since I bought it so it's hard to remember the details

Yes, you are correct, I had bought these back in the day for my Coleco.

What a difference they make for the stock controllers, wish I could find them for sale today. When I sold my system the "balls" went with it since the silver disks had gotten a little mangled when I removed them.

Not sure who made them, but they would have been advertised in one of the video game magazines back then.

Now if someone can reproduce these things and put them up for sale then you would really have something!

What a difference they make for the stock controllers, wish I could find them for sale today. When I sold my system the "balls" went with it since the silver disks had gotten a little mangled when I removed them.

Not sure who made them, but they would have been advertised in one of the video game magazines back then.

Now if someone can reproduce these things and put them up for sale then you would really have something!

I agree as thye are night and day using these.

I cant believe more people apparently didnt find out out bout these as Ive never seen on til recently and I never see them for sale with a system of solo and I think if someone made similar available, people would be wise to buy them. Cheers :)

I agree as thye are night and day using these.

I cant believe more people apparently didnt find out out bout these as Ive never seen on til recently and I never see them for sale with a system of solo and I think if someone made similar available, people would be wise to buy them. Cheers :)

I cant believe I never saw or heard of these as well. I was always up to date with all the coleco merchandise and after market acessories as well. I would have loved to have had these!

Here are the other commercially available ColecoVision knob attachments/replacements that I know of:

colecoattachmentszp4.jpg

Left to Right:

Injoy-A-Stick: requires removal of original knob

Co-Sticker: snaps onto knob

Sumcom's - Snapper: snaps onto knob

High Score's - HS-100: snaps onto knob