IGNORED

Game Shark 3.2 vs 3.3 for N64

shadow460

What's the difference?

What software is needed to hook it up to the PC?

How does one transfer save files from games to memory cards?

The GameShark Pro I have was originally a 3.2, but was upgraded to 3.3 using a download from the internet. It has a 25 pin serial port on the back of the cart that hooks to a PC. I think the 'Pro' has the port on the back and the version depends on which firmware you've installed or it came with. It came with a CD, but I haven't seen that around in years.

IIRC I don't think it lets you tranfer save games, but did let you transfer a memory image from the N64 to your PC. Once transferred you could use the PC to try and search for values/hack code. That took forever though and the cheat code library has just about everything you'd really need already.

So how did that download work? Did you have to hook it up to the PC serial port? I've read several places where the PS1 Game Shark could be updated with a CD, but a CD for the N64 unit would have to be used in a PC.

I agree, though, that installed code library is massive.

So how did that download work? Did you have to hook it up to the PC serial port? I've read several places where the PS1 Game Shark could be updated with a CD, but a CD for the N64 unit would have to be used in a PC.

I agree, though, that installed code library is massive.

Yes, exactly, it was hooked to the PC's serial port. I think I just downloaded the file to the PC then transferred it with the software that it came with, it's been about 8-9 years now BTW. There were no further version updates from InterAct after that, IIRC. You could also d/l more codes for it as well.

I only have the actual GameShark anymore, the CD, box & docs are all missing now.

• 2 months later...

Hi. This is Bowser. I'm thinking of buying a Gameshark Pro 3.3, for my N64. I would kind of like to know what I need for it to communicate with my PC. It doesn't use USB? How do I operate the serial port, to get it communicating with Windows XP, and my PC?? Also, I invested in 4 MB expansion RAM for my N64. So, now I can search with the Gameshark, for codes in my N64 games, as well, right? And can I find Gameshark Pro 3.3 at pawn shops and stuff? I would appreciate it if someone would answer these questions. Thanks.

I have the Gameshark 3.3 you don't need to worry about attaching the GS to your pc because the only reason you would do that is to hack out codes for games and there are TONS of codes of online. You might be able to find one at a pawn shop, but you can buy Gsharks on Ebay for less than 10 dollars shipped brand new. I don't think the memory expansion has any bearing on the functionality of the Gameshark, but it will allow you to play many games on N64 in higher resolution.

Edited by Warriorisabouttodie

Hey guys! Thanks for replying! I'm glad, because, from what you told me, it doesn't sound very complicated hooking the gameshark up. YOu've been very helpful. So, the gameshark can run N64 homebrew? Do you know how sweet that would be? But does it really do that?

homebrew not really, the NES emulator is the only thing that works so far. It's a pretty neat hack, apparently you are loading the emu/ROM into the game save memory of Super Mario 64. Even if you could get a homebrew running it would need to be pretty small and the procedure to get it working sound's complex.

Edited by Warriorisabouttodie

Thanks for telling me that! You mean I have to hack my Super Mario 64 game cartridge? Will that screw thing in my SM 64 cartridge up? I love that game. I play it all the time.

no it just uses the save game memory on the Super Mario 64 cart to store and load the emulator. It won't screw the cartridge up, but it will erase your saved games. It sounds like an awful lot of work and a big PITA to get that emulator going, sure it works but in the end you had to jump thru hoops to get your N64 to do a kind of half assed emulation of the NES ( frame skipping, graphics issues etc..) so while I admire the idea and think it is a neat hack it doesn't seem practical to me.

One thing about the Gameshark that really pisses me off!!! I want to use it so I can play the original Donkey Kong in Donkey Kong 64 without actually having to unlock it. I tried one code that drew the donkey kong first level on the screen but it wouldn't start.... this is really the one thing I want to do with my Gameshark and I can't seem to do it!!!!

Thanks for clearing that up, about it screwing up SM 64 game saves. That would suck. I could never really save in Super Mario 64, without having to write over it with Neon64? Any way that NES emulator sounds like crap to run. Well, keep trying on your Donkey Kong 64. There HAS to be a code somewhere, that is the value you need. All programs have values for everything, so good luck. There might be millions to search through. :(

Edited by Bowser N64

• 4 months later...
  • 10 years later...