IGNORED

Lynx eprom cart

doctorclu

How do you load software onto it? I own nearly all the Lynx titles, so I'd want it, primarily, to be able to play demos and unreleased Lynx games. If I could easily find and load that software, I'd certainly buy one.

You have to burn the image (after a conversion with a small utility) on an EPROM.

There is no 'flash' or 'load' mechanism or even own ram/rom.

BTW: Need five orders minimum. Otherwise the PCB order is to small / expensive.

But there is no hurry. You are invited to wait on my SD-Card-Lynx-Adapter which I plan to build... ;)

CU

Irgendwer

You have to burn the image (after a conversion with a small utility) on an EPROM.

There is no 'flash' or 'load' mechanism or even own ram/rom.

But there is no hurry. You are invited to wait on my SD-Card-Lynx-Adapter which I plan to build... ;)

CU

Irgendwer

Okay, I see. Since I don't own an EPROM burner and since I don't have any chips anyway, I withdraw my pledge to purchase one.

However, if/when you make that SD Card adapter, I would be interested. I would want something that could hold several games/demos and can be easily loaded and reloaded.

Thanks for clarifying,

Smeg

• 2 years later...

There is not that much to tell about it. It's a Lynx-Eprom-Adapter I've build some years ago.

It supports 1m*8 eproms (e.g. M27C801), where you can put up your cart-images.

I wrote a little software which can mix up the images to form a 1M image. So you can

merge from 8x128k games up to 2x512k games into one burn file. The picture shows a

eprom with a combination of 2x128k games together with 3x256k games.

The active image can be easily selected by using the up & down buttons of the numeric selector

on the left side. That's all...

For those who like to build their own adaptor, here a little "present".

The PCB mask is 300 DPI. Best of all, the layout is single sided - so very easy to assemble.

If somebody really likes to build this device (?), my EPROM mixing utility follows later.

CU

Irgendwer

Edit: The two port areas are for Lynx I devices. This is a kind of workaround, allowing to connect a ribbon cable connecting the separated upper and lower part. It's usable for playing with opened cartridge door - but I don't recommend the usage with Lynx I.

post-7778-128041964904_thumb.jpg

post-7778-1280419660_thumb.png

Edited by Irgendwer

• 4 years later...

..or you build something like this:

CU

Irgendwer

Hi, is it possible to put many commercial lynx games on just 1 cart WITHOUT the need of dip switches?? I was thinking of an os menu wich have it's own bootstrap rom to setup the lynx and once you select a game via the menu, then the menu then skips the first 512KB of a rom, wich is the bootstrap rom, by ignoiring or removing those first 512KB of it,you will avoid the lynx to do a reboot and theoritically should just run your selected game, another thing i was thinking of is a clearance boot chip on the cart wich forces the lynx to reboot anytime you select a game( in the os menu (by temperatury leading pin 31 to pin 33 ) i readed that some once succeeded in making such chip to force a reboot in order to select the game you want,anyway if these things are possible, then a sd flashcard can be realized, o uh not mentioned, an micro sd flashcard xcart adaptor for the lynx has been prototyped but i cannot find any picture of it.aaarrrggg but i really want one???

Hi, is it possible to put many commercial lynx games on just 1 cart WITHOUT the need of dip switches?? I was thinking of an os menu wich have it's own bootstrap rom to setup the lynx and once you select a game via the menu, then the menu then skips the first 512KB of a rom, wich is the bootstrap rom, by ignoiring or removing those first 512KB of it,you will avoid the lynx to do a reboot and theoritically should just run your selected game, another thing i was thinking of is a clearance boot chip on the cart wich forces the lynx to reboot anytime you select a game( in the os menu (by temperatury leading pin 31 to pin 33 )

This has been answered many times. It IS possible to create a multi-cart without dip switches. Your idea of skipping the first 512KB will not work, and also, there is no need. All you have to do, as explained else where is boot to your game selection menu, then JUMP via software to the OS ROM in the lynx with essentially does a warm boot. There's no magic required (just the hardware and someone programming the boot menu), and no hacking of games.