IGNORED

The Ugliest Looking Game System Ever!

Don't like the looks of the usa snes. Love the rounder european model more.

I have never read any explanation why Nintendo changed the SNES design for the US market. I remember back as a kid, I always wondered why the SNES depicted in the manual of US imported games looked so different and clumsy.

snes.jpg

SNES_qjpreviewth.jpg

Don't like the looks of the usa snes. Love the rounder european model more.

I have never read any explanation why Nintendo changed the SNES design for the US market. I remember back as a kid, I always wondered why the SNES depicted in the manual of US imported games looked so different and clumsy.

snes.jpg

SNES_qjpreviewth.jpg

Color me crazy, but I like the look of the US release MUCH more.....I think it just looks cleaner to me...

Perhaps it just boils down to what we grew up with. Still, I'd really like to know why they changed it. Especially the grey/light purple colour scheme is so... weird. Almost like a medic instrument. No wonder the Sega Genesis gave the SNES a hard time in the US... ;)

Edited by Vigo

What no Astrocade?

Don't know how I forgot that one. Too bad Bally didn't chose to distribute the Home Library Computer/Arcade more widely. Otherwise I think it would have been much more of a contender.

post-10357-1233755156_thumb.png

Also forgot the "illustrious" Arcadia 2001. It's fitting that it had a bit of wood-grain on it since it was more of a 70's system even though it was released in 82.

post-10357-1233755373_thumb.png

What no Astrocade?

Don't know how I forgot that one. Too bad Bally didn't chose to distribute the Home Library Computer/Arcade more widely. Otherwise I think it would have been much more of a contender.

Seems that it comes with an integrated pocket calculator!

What no Astrocade?

Seems that it comes with an integrated pocket calculator!

Actually yes, it can be used as that. Also you could program in Basic and save you programs to cassette. Eventually there were many "homebrew" Basic games being made and traded throughout the Astorcade user scene.

I loove the Atari 2600 woodgrain....but the 1986 under fifty bucks version I was really bored with. It just looked like a smaller version of the 5200.

edit- I love the controllers for the European and Japanese version of the Super NES wayy better. Those buttons look pretty.

Makes me want to pick it up and play it.

Edited by lushgirl_80

I loove the Atari 2600 woodgrain....but the 1986 under fifty bucks version I was really bored with. It just looked like a smaller version of the 5200.

edit- I love the controllers for the European and Japanese version of the Super NES wayy better. Those buttons look pretty.

Makes me want to pick it up and play it.

I've always liked the 2600 Jr. more than the woodgrain or Vader models... Of course, the Jr. was my first video game system back in 1987, so I'm probably a bit biased. :) It never did fit quite right in my Atari game center, though.

The 7800 reminds me more of the 5200 than the 2600 Jr. does.

I also, prefer the US SNES... that was my second system... :ponder:

XBOX and Saturn have no style. 2600 looks way too 70's. Genesis model 2 is boring. 32X is funky. NES the box, no style. SNES not so great. Neo Geo AES AWESOME. :) PS2 orginal and slim very boring. Jaguar looks really cool to me, Jag CD not so much. N64 is cool looking to me. Orginal playstation is... average. top loader NES' are UGLY. Orginal Genesis are cool looking. 3do's are funky looking. NUON look like regular dvd players. PS3 looks like a barbecue. Dreamcast is pretty cool. 360 looks like a futuristic PC CPU harddrive. Wii looks retarded. Gamecube's are cute but boring.

i thought the design for turbo grafx was okay...there portable handheld madeup for it ;)

i was doing some research and found this......

(i think the fairchild channel F looks more like a weird 8-track player and the controller,uhh looks interesting)

Yea never seen a Channel F in person but they sure do look ugly from the pics. I read some article where they referred to the controllers as breast pumps. :cool:

i was browsing through e-bay and found this!!!

the description in the ad says:

"Here we have a really neat looking video game system by Radio Shack. It has three games built into it that run on the same lines as the old Pong game. You can play tennis,hockey or handball. One or two players can play"

looks really ghetto...

post-22489-1234096186_thumb.jpg

Edited by lushgirl_80

i was browsing through e-bay and found this!!!

the description in the ad says:

"Here we have a really neat looking video game system by Radio Shack. It has three games built into it that run on the same lines as the old Pong game. You can play tennis,hockey or handball. One or two players can play"

looks really ghetto...

I bought one of those a few years back in a yardsale. I can't recall but I don't think it worked. Definitely a strange looking machine.

I think the vast majority of the Pong consoles, except for the Magnavox and Atari machines, were certifiably hideous.

The only "regular" system I don't find particularly attractive is the Sega Genesis Mle. 1, but even that's kinda cool-looking from the right angle. The color scheme of the VIC-20 is a little off-putting, but it's basically a slick design.

I think the Odyssey, Fairchild, Astrocade, and 5200/7800/2600jr. look awesome. I own all of them, and love'em. I like how the Odyssey looks like something out of 2001: A Space Odyssey. The only Intellivison system I think is a little goofy is the Super Pro System, with it's large block "sports" lettering. Otherwise, I think Intellivision looks awesome in all of its iterations, particularly the II and System III.

I like the shape of the US SNES, but I like the colors of the Euro/Japanese version. The plain gray and purple color scheme was always odd to me. The controllers really needed those colored buttons...

Wow! triple posting :P gorfy! :D You must have clicked the apply post button several times and fast. :)

Yes, the Oddessy 2 did look cool with that keyboard though -definitely. :) I wanted one too back in the '80's It reminded me of the Atari 400 which I really wanted after getting a 2600vcs.

DOH! Moderator! Please delete two of those. :)

Must of had a glitch in my click finger. :D