IGNORED

The Ugliest Looking Game System Ever!

The 3DO FZ-1

I quite like the look of my FZ-1. And my wife, who's not a gamer in the the slightest, also likes it.

That allows it to stay in the living room on top of the DVD player. ;-)

I suppose I'd go with the XEGS. Those button colors are just... interesting...

desiv

Any model genesis with the 32x. Maybe if it sat flush with the genesis like the Jaguar CD it wouldn't look too bad on a model 2, but with it's awkward mushroom shape it doesn't look good all, it looks like your genesis has a tumor or something. Even more so on a model 1.

Any model genesis with the 32x. Maybe if it sat flush with the genesis like the Jaguar CD it wouldn't look too bad on a model 2, but with it's awkward mushroom shape it doesn't look good all, it looks like your genesis has a tumor or something. Even more so on a model 1.

Yeah, why didn't they design it like the Power Base Converter?

• Like 1

OMG, they put Vectrex on that list. Are they insane?!

I know.. Crazy..

The Vec is one of my favorite systems of all time.. Love it..

But I won't say it's in my top best looking consoles...

However, not ugly in any way.... I think it's decent looking

I see they have the O2 on that list also..

Personally, I like the look of the Odyssey 2.. Kind of that 70's metallic computer system look..

But I can see people not liking that look..

desiv

Studio II

Hyperscan (if it even counts)

Genesis I + SegaCD + 32X

VIC-20

Xbox

PICO

Pokemon Edition N64

MP-1000+Imagination Machine/Intellivision+Keyboard Component/Colecovision+ADAM

Apple IIgs

Apple IIe Platinum

Wii

Channel F and Odyssey 2 are dead sexy. :-D

I think that most pre-NES stuff gets a pass at console design because they really didn't know what they were doing back then. Many of the designs are amusingly bad, but by the mid-80's there was no excuse for an ugly console. That said, the ugliest thing ever to grace my eyes was the Sega Master System 2. Ug, it is just hideous!

NGJ6q.png

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it yet in this thread. I guess maybe someone could have, but I didn't see anyone post an image. Such a disappointing design.

atari_xe_2.jpg

I used to want an XE. I was blown away by that flight simulator they showed in the commercial, all 3 frames of it! I almost bought one instead of a Master System. I had a wad of cash I wanted to blow on my first game system and I had my heart set on Sega, but they were out of stock after Christmas. The XE was in stock, of course. I was begging my aunt to drive me back to the store so I could get the XE but she wouldn't. Thank goodness, too. I ended up getting an SMS a few weeks later with Space Harrier and Choplifter.

Edited by Game Sack
  • Like 2

I like the NES toaster. The NES top loader is pretty awful. Not because of the system itself, but the way it looks with the giant carts sticking out. They weren't designed (visually) to be sitting like that and it looks weird.

I never liked the look of the original PlayStation. Top loading CD drive and giant buttons.

I really don't think any of them are ugly. Perhaps I'm just weird, but at some point I've found myself holding up consoles and just looking at them. I've probably done this with every console I've ever had, from the TurboGrafx to the NES Toploader to the Xbox. I do the same thing with controllers. Just looking at them and enjoying them for the technology that they represent. Perhaps it is my appreciation for what they do that makes me consider them all to be pretty good looking. Like how a farmer might think a tractor is beautiful because he appreciates it as a tool.

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

I'm a little sad the original NES showed up so many times. It's very utilitarian and I kinda like that. It looked like it belonged right next to your beta max. Other systems look like kid toys to me. My NES looks like an entertainment machine for adults........ I guess that sounds kinda dirty but you know what I mean. Although it had some very negative effects on performance I like that its not a top loader cuz I can stack my genesis right on top. I keep mine very clean and It works nearly 100% of the time. Open it up it's beautiful too there is so much going on in there. I don't like the Genesis It just looks and feels cheap to me. Open it up it only gets worse. I also like all the atari systems with the exception of the XEGS for the same reason I like the NES. They are very utilitarian also.... I guess I'm in the minority though.

Edited by Dripfree