IGNORED

Fair price for a 5200 & Best places to buy

Atari2008

Hey everyone,

I'm looking to purchase a 5200 and have been weighing my options. Although I've been scanning the eBay auctions a lot of them are a bit risky with 5200's being sold "as is" or the seller unable to test or the ones that seem functional with huge lots of games that raise the price. I found a shop that sells 5200's with 2 non-working controllers for $30 plus shipping...is this a fair deal? They also carry systems with 2 working controllers and that's $50 plus shipping but requires them to test out several controllers before finding 2 that work.

I did have my eyes on the 5200 from 4Jays since it comes with one rebuilt controller and 3 games but the total cost would be $101 (shipping included) which is beyond my price range at the moment. Is eBay still the best bet for an affordably priced 5200? Am I overlooking some other place? Also, one estimate I read on rebuilding controllers was $24-$40 to have it done for you...is it relatively easy for a novice to rebuild on one's own?

Thanks!

Reapiring a stick is not that bad - anything you get on ebay prob wont work stick wise - To repair you basically have to open the 5200 controller and pry off the plate on the start/rest/pause buttons. You then need to disconnect the current mylar sheet and replace with your new one.

Its tricky since the firebuttons need to bend and the start/pause/reset section needs to get into its slot as well - Im not solder junky but was able to put the new flex circuit in mine after fiddling for awhile.

• 2 weeks later...

By the time you refurbish a couple of joysticks (you'll have to at least buy flex circuits), buy the deck of evilbay, and get it shipped, you might as well buy the complete setup from 4jays. I can highly recommend them. Excellent customer service and good prices.

Trust me, you'll get many years of enjoyment from your 5200. It's an outstanding system, and the ratio of good games vs bad games in the library is outstanding. Seriously, I have all but about 8 or so, and prety much every game I own is good to great, and the 'worst' ones are merely average.

Plus, it's huge and it looks awesome. Biggest. System. Ever!

Hey, thanks for the input! I've actually decided to save up and get the system from 4Jays since it'll be guaranteed to work, unlike those listed on eBay 98% of which are sold "as is" with all the sellers claiming for one reason or another unable to test the system. And I do like the idea that the 5200's from 4Jays already come with 1 rebuilt controller so I can just start gaming as soon as I receive the system. :)

I'm really excited about being able to play 5200 games on the real hardware at some point, I've been using the Atari800Win emulator and the 5200 games are awesome! I've enjoyed its versions of Pac-Man (wow! way better than the 2600's with intermissions!), Mario Bros (the details and animations are amusing), and am hooked on Gremlins at the moment. Cool system, with a library like that, I think I can deal with the controllers.

On the size...yea I measured my entertainment center to make sure it would fit! LOL :D

By the time you refurbish a couple of joysticks (you'll have to at least buy flex circuits), buy the deck of evilbay, and get it shipped, you might as well buy the complete setup from 4jays. I can highly recommend them. Excellent customer service and good prices.

Trust me, you'll get many years of enjoyment from your 5200. It's an outstanding system, and the ratio of good games vs bad games in the library is outstanding. Seriously, I have all but about 8 or so, and prety much every game I own is good to great, and the 'worst' ones are merely average.

Plus, it's huge and it looks awesome. Biggest. System. Ever!

I don't know what prices 5200's have gone for before I started looking but all of the auctions I've seen on eBay have ended up selling for either $40 and usually more and that's with few games and many sold "as is." Looks like the 5200 is a pretty popular system these days...

is it just me or has the prices of 5200 systems boomed?

I don't know what prices 5200's have gone for before I started looking but all of the auctions I've seen on eBay have ended up selling for either $40 and usually more and that's with few games and many sold "as is." Looks like the 5200 is a pretty popular system these days...

is it just me or has the prices of 5200 systems boomed?

Yes, it is. Luckily the 5200 WAS successful (un-like what some people say) in it's time and there are plenty of them out there.

Allan