IGNORED

HSC Season 5 Week 22: Roc 'n Rope

Ze_ro

Important Note: This weeks competition is over and no further scores will be accepted.

In your quest for the Golden Roc, you'll travel through a prehistoric landscape made up of hazardous ledges and treacherous cliffs. Scale the heights with your trusty rope and use your powerful flashlight to daze the lumbering dinosaurs and the swift footed cavemen. Fortunately, the Golden Roc has left a trail of magical eggs. Gather them as you go and use their powers to make the dinosaurs and cavemen disappear. But watch your step! If you slip while on the edge of a cliff, you'll plummet to the depths below! The treasures of the Golden Roc are yours when you reach the summit. But you must journey on. The fabled bird awaits you at the top of another perilous climb!

s_RocNRope_5.png

Game Information
  • Game Name: Roc 'n Rope
  • Released By: Coleco, 1984
  • Left Difficulty: N/A
  • Right Difficulty: N/A
  • Game Mode: Game 1 - One player, Skill 1
  • Chosen By: Ze_ro

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Wednesday, Feb 13th at 1:00 AM (CST).

Current High Scores
  1. 138,740 (aftermac) [+11]
  2. 92,760 (Deteacher) [+10]
  3. 75,170 (Captain Beard) [+9]
  4. 59,300 (toymailman) [+8]
  5. 54,550 (Gemini) [+7]
  6. 44,190 (Bentley Bear!) [+6]
  7. 42,200 (keilbaca) [+5]
  8. 29,230 (Impaler_26) [+4]
  9. 22,890 (LarcenTyler) [+3]
  10. 18,220 (atari2600land) [+2]
  11. 17,420 (theking21083) [+1]
  12. 16,630 (Kurt_Woloch) [+1]
  13. 13,950 (lucifershalo) [+1]
  14. 10,090 (PressureCooker2600) [+1]
  15. 3020 (doctorclu) [+1]

Best Tips
  • Gemini [+2]

Challenges
  • None

TwinGalaxies Top 3
  1. 29,940 (Ryan Gavigan)
  2. 7190 (David B Yancey)
  3. 3930 (Alan W Hewston)
(Game 1, Difficulty B)
Current Standings

1. Deteacher [204]
  2. toymailman [186]
  3. keilbaca [129]
  4. theking21083 [91]
  5. PressureCooker2600 [85]
  6. Captain Beard [78]
  7. homerwannabee [73]
  8. Impaler_26 [68]
  9. Kurt_Woloch [62]
  10. rheffera [57]
  11. Recycled [44]
  12. Nathan Strum [41]
  13. phaxda [40]
  14. SpiceWare [39]
  15. DarthCalvin [36]
  16. Blackjack [35]
  17. Christophero Sly [35]
  18. aftermac [32]
  19. Mister VCS [29]
  20. LarcenTyler [26]
  21. midnight magicman [26]
  22. shadow460 [25]
  23. Rom Hunter [23]
  24. Butterwasp [18]
  25. Bentley Bear! [18]
  26. Gemini [11]
  27. theKLT [11]
  28. godzillajoe [11]
  29. lucifershalo [10]
  30. Artlover [9]
  31. Dauber [9]
  32. ed1475 [8]
  33. keitaro [7]
  34. Omegamatrix [6]
  35. Goochman [5]
  36. vintagegamecrazy [5]
  37. doctorclu [5]
  38. chuckwalla [5]
  39. Nognir [5]
  40. MrBeefy [5]
  41. atari2600land [4]
  42. Crazy Climber [3]
  43. SeaGtGruff [3]
  44. lonewolfette9847 [2]
  45. gospeedde [2]
  46. Phantom [2]
  47. Snider-man [2]
  48. RJ [1]
  49. [d2f]Iggy*SJB [1]
  50. HatNJ [1]
  51. KaeruYojimbo [1]

Scoring Points in Roc 'n Rope
  • Touch an Egg - 800 points
  • Kill an enemy while Energized - 600 points
  • Stun an enemy with your flashlight - 20 points
  • Bonus points are awarded at the end of each level, based on time.
  • You earn an extra life at 20,000 points.

Hints and Tips
  • Stay perfectly still if you're on a rope and it looks like an enemy's about to touch it. If an enemy touches your rope you will only fall if you're moving!
  • So long as there's an enemy on the same row you're on, another enemy won't climb into it, nor will another enemy portal in through a door. Just be careful when an enemy does warp through a door because a new one can emerge again very quickly.
  • You can survive short falls from your rope. The maximum allowable fall distance is barely high enough to allow you to cross the lowest gap in the first level.
  • If an enemy is on the same platform as you, stun them far away from where you want to set your rope before doing so to give yourself an extra moment to escape.
  • Any of you thinking that the 20 points you earn from stunning enemies can be used to quickly boost your score, think again. You only earn those points if the enemy is freshly stunned, and by the time you earn another 20 you've lost far more points from the bonus timer.

Press the Play/Action Button when the Control Stick is in any other position to make your explorer shine his flashlight, whether he is on or off a rope.

In other words, if when climbing the rope, you are still pushing up (necessary to launch the rope in the first place) then your flashlight will not shine. But you do not need to push directly up to scale the rope - you can push in the horizontal direction you wish to move and you'll still shimmy along. If you do that, your flashlight will still work.
The Manual
As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, AtariAge has a typed copy available online for your viewing pleasure. The manual doesn't provide any specific hints, but it does have some more detailed information on playing the game that may be helpful.
Gemini
PressureCooker2600
One tip for higher scores: Always get that power pellet thingy and kill the monsters. Gets you uber-pointage. (Captain Beard adds: Not sure this is necessarily the best plan, since some of those eggs are on platforms you otherwise don't need to be on to reach the top. I think the most points to be had are in the timer, so I just make a bee-line for the top and only pick up the eggs that are convenient. I could be wrong about this, but that's my two cents.)
Bentley Bear!
You really have to work on a strategy/path on each stage. When you find one that works, stick with it! Also, when climbing that rope, don't fart around doing so. Those friggin' Crocs and Cavemen are very unpredictable in their movements, even a brief pause to try to stun one on a rope could mean in your long fall with the quick stop at the end. :D Oh yea, when climbing the rope to a new level and there is a Croc/Caveman above you, it's wise not to stick your head above the platform lest they may knock it right off... :-o
Deteacher
Don't forget that you can stun the enemies while you're on the rope. Also, you don't have to cross over the center gap everytime. Try to plan your route by going up the sides that the enemies aren't on. This is especially helpful on the higher levels when the "power pills" don't last very long.

You can kill the enemies with your flashlight when you're charged up. It doesn't stun them. It's as if the flashlight is an extension of you. The arcade version doesn't work this way, but the 2600 version does, and I was able to kill MANY more enemies by using my flashlight.
Captain Beard
When you're at the top of the rope, just before you can push up to climb onto the level above, enemies can't touch you. At least in this example, the crappy collision detection is your friend. ;)

Can't believe I hadn't noticed before, but when you zap a baddie with your flashlight, when the effect wears off he will be traveling in the opposite direction he was before you stunned him. This has saved my life countless times when I've gotten backed into a corner. (aftermac adds: That's not 100% true, at least in my experience. Most of the time they will turn the other way, but not always. However, if you're backed into a corner you really don't have any other choice, do you? :) )

Play/Action Button: Press the Play/Action Button while the Control Stick is in the up position to make your explorer shoot a rope. Your explorer cannot shoot another rope while still on a rope.

--Zero

A really cool little game! I've played this on MAME before, but amazingly, the 2600 does do it justice! I've been guilty of overlooking this game for the 2600 but man, I now kinda wish I had a copy of it back in the day! :sad: I'm digging it though, I'll have to try for a higher score later on in the week. :cool:

post-14189-1202357338_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bentley Bear!

After Double Dragon's mutilating controls... this game isn't much better, but at least climbing the rope is the only part that's hard. I just have to get that down and I'm sure I can beat my first submission for this round of gaming: 32,610

I also have a few game tips:

* Stay perfectly still if you're on a rope and it looks like an enemy's about to touch it. If an enemy touches your rope you will only fall if you're moving!

* So long as there's an enemy on the same row you're on, another enemy won't climb into it, nor will another enemy portal in through a door. Just be careful when an enemy does warp through a door because a new one can emerge again very quickly.

* You can survive short falls from your rope. The maximum allowable fall distance is barely high enough to allow you to cross the lowest gap in the first level.

* If an enemy is on the same platform as you, stun them far away from where you want to set your rope before doing so to give yourself an extra moment to escape.

* Any of you thinking that the 20 points you earn from stunning enemies can be used to quickly boost your score, think again. You only earn those points if the enemy is freshly stunned, and by the time you earn another 20 you've lost far more points from the bonus timer.

post-17630-1202369096_thumb.png

One tip for higher scores: Always get that power pellet thingy and kill the monsters. Gets you uber-pointage.

Not sure this is necessarily the best plan, since some of those eggs are on platforms you otherwise don't need to be on to reach the top. I think the most points to be had are in the timer, so I just make a bee-line for the top and only pick up the eggs that are convenient.

I could be wrong about this, but that's my two cents.

Arg. :x So friggin' close to the Cap'ns mighty score. I will try again... :cool:

I will say this about the game, you really have to work on a strategy/path on each stage. When you find one that works, stick with it! Also, when climbing that rope, don't fart around doing so. Those friggin' Crocs and Cavemen are very unpredictable in their movements, even a brief pause to try to stun one on a rope could mean in your long fall with the quick stop at the end. :-D Oh yea, when climbing the rope to a new level and there is a Croc/Caveman above you, it's wise not to stick your head above the platform lest they may knock it right off... :-o

post-14189-1202518747_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bentley Bear!

First submission: 47,940!

Don't forget that you can stun the enemies while you're on the rope. Also, you don't have to cross over the center gap everytime. Try to plan your route by going up the sides that the enemies aren't on. This is especially helpful on the higher levels when the "power pills" don't last very long.

post-9712-1202521545_thumb.jpg

I've also noticed that the enemies can actually break your rope, though I'm not certain what criteria causes it to happen yet.
What big teeth those dinosaurs have! They'll do their best to chew right through the rope you're climbing.

I noticed that before... but thought the manual was just being silly since until my high-scoring game not long ago they've never broken my rope, just shaken it. So I think there's more to it than just the dinos touching the rope, like perhaps you have to be past a certain level or something. *shrugs*

My first submission, after many games. Fortunately this game isn't a big time consumer. Each game is pretty quick. Hard to get the hang of though. The monsters move faster than you can climb and they can shake you off the rope. They also seem to move randomly so its not like you can time anything either.

post-10944-1202537391_thumb.jpg

OK, here's my first entry offffff this week...

post-8393-1202576805_thumb.png

Oh, and to take a screenshot, you don't have to pause the game... just wait until the flashing score is ON... it flashes slow enough for that. And as an experienced gamer, you SHOULD be able to get the timing right... ;-)

Edited by Kurt_Woloch

Made it to level 12... first time I've been past 9.

52,730 - it sure feels nice to break the 50,000 mark, even if it is a little shy of Gemini.

I'm digging this game quite a bit. Nice pick, zero!

50,000? That was so "last hour"... ;) :cool:

This game is growing on me quite a bit too. Very challenging!

post-17553-1202578026_thumb.png

OK, here's my first entry offffff this week...

post-8393-1202576805_thumb.png

Oh, and to take a screenshot, you don't have to pause the game... just wait until the flashing score is ON... it flashes slow enough for that. And as an experienced gamer, you SHOULD be able to get the timing right... ;-)

That's what I thought until all of my scores were showing up blank. I figured pausing the game would be a guaranteed way to get an accurate screenshot. It's possible that Mac OS X has a slight screenshot delay that was throwing off my timing, so it's better to be safe than sorry. :)

Edited by aftermac