IGNORED

Movie & TV Games

Lucky Man

Asterix and Obelix are not based on movies!

The Adventures of Asterix started in 1959 as a French comic strip.

The video games released by Atari are not related to the films from 1967, 68, or 76. The intellectual property owners in this case are Goscinny and Uderzo and not anyone from the films' production or distribution companies.

I finally got around to watching these Asterix Movies, which was a bit boring since I don't speak French and couldn't find them with subtitles. The '60's movies are pretty well done, though. I can definitely see why these characters are so popular.

Anyway, you were right, Zwackery. There doesn't seem to be any direct connection between the movies and the games, so I moved them to the Character List. I also moved a few other games there as well, as I was never comfortable listing the Book and Comics-Based games under the TV Shows category. In fact, I almost added a Books and Comics category, but decided to just put them in the Character List with the others, including Care Bears, even though the TV series didn't start until after the proto was produced.

So what do you guys think? Any objections?

Moved the Smurf games to the Character List. I thought the first use of the name "Smurf" was in the U.S. animated series, but, apparently it is from the original Dutch translation of the comics. And it looks like the game was licensed directly from the comics creator and the U.S. company that distributed the Smurf toys, not the producer of the TV series.

• 1 year later...

**Updated First Post Again** :D

Moved G.I. Joe: Cobra Strike to Character List. I didn't realize the cartoon didn't start until 1985. I'm surprised none of you complained about that before.

There was only one TV mini-series that aired before the game was produced and it doesn't appear that the game was directly inspired from that work. So it's just based on the toy line.

Also, added Cabbage Patch Kids to the same list. I forgot about that one.

Thanks for the bump.

I used your lists to add a few missing titles to one of my lists. For a planned update to my Harmony Cart SD card directory tree, I'm breaking down games by genre. I'm including everything in your lists lumped together in the single genre of "Media Tie-In". That way I don't have to bother figuring out just which medium originated a particular bit of IP. I'm also including the three "Celebrity"-related games that I know of (Chuck Norris Superkicks, Pele's Championship Soccer, and Pete Rose Baseball) in the category. Did I miss any?

• 1 year later...

I think Star Trek: SOS is base more on Star Trek: The Motion Picture than the T.V. show. It was released near the same time as the movie and uses the same font as the movie for the "Star Trek" title.

Star Trek: Strategic Operations Simulator (ARC; Sega; 1982) – licensed from Paramount. At this point, the Star Trek franchise had moved to theatrical films, and this game sought to tap into the popularity of the films, even though the actual game itself had already been around as an unlicensed Star Trek adaptation from the days of mainframe computing. One of the most popular was designed by Don Daglow, who would become CEO of Stormfront Studios, in 1971 on the Pomona College mainframe (DeMaria, 51). It would be adapted in 1985 by Cygnus Software as Star Fleet I: The War Begins. Font in marquee title is from Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979) and cabinet art features the redesigned Enterprise from the first two theatrical films. This game premiered just after the theatrical release of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan on 04 June 1982 and was heavily promoted. “Paramount teamed up with Sega for a number of special events, supplying real life Star Trek stars including George ‘Sulu’ Takei, who – when not attending Star Trek conventions – made arcade appearances across the country” (Burnham, 363). A modified cockpit version of the arcade cabinet allowed the player to sit in the “captain’s chair”.

As a point of video game trivia, reputedly Gorf (1981) by Midway was originally intended to be a tie-in with Star Trek: The Motion Picture, but when the game designers read the film’s script, they realized that the concept would not work as a video game and changed its title.

I think Star Trek: SOS is base more on Star Trek: The Motion Picture than the T.V. show. It was released near the same time as the movie and uses the same font as the movie for the "Star Trek" title.

Thanks Zwackery! Yes, you may also notice that the design of the Klingons on the box and cart label more closely resembles the Klingon makeup and costume used in the motion pictures. I was initially fooled by that, but the gameplay has no similarity to the plot of either of the first two Star Trek films, so the game is just based on the TV series.

• 2 weeks later...

Added Farmyard Fun and Zoo Fun to the Character List. Even though it doesn't look like these games were properly licensed, it's pretty obvious that they used the Pumuckl character and theme song in both.

Thanks to high voltage for reminding me about this character in this thread: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/199530-atari-2600-games-based-on-movies/?do=findComment&comment=2548286

BTW, does anyone know if the Pumuckl theme song used in the games was created for the TV series or was it used in the movie or radio shows before that?

EDIT: Nevermind, I see that the song was also used in the original film.

Edited by Lucky Man

• 6 years later...

I do not think that the game's plot and the movie's plot are really that closely related. Yes, you have Superman, Lois Lane, and Lex Luthor, and both have a helicopter, kryptonite, a subway section, and Superman must save the day, but repairing the destroyed Metropolis Memorial Bridge is quite different from preventing the missiles from striking Hackensack, NJ and the San Andreas Fault. How many times in the comic has Superman had to save Metropolis from peril? Too many to count (although I'm sure some fanboy knows the exact number). The game is just too generic of a typical Superman situation, and again, as far as I've been able to find out, beyond the corporate ownership situation, there has been nothing to expressly tie the game to the film - no memos, no contracts, nada. I do think, however, that the crossover appeal - and syngergistic franchise possibility - of releasing the game and the film in the same year should not be discounted, and being that this is the first step into a greater possibility of economic windfall and revenue streams, it is worthy of note.

I live near Hackensack, NJ.

• 10 months later...

Two games come to mind:

Keystone Kapers, while (probably) not based on a specific entry, is certainly inspired by the silent Keystone Cops short films of the 1910s.

- I never really think of it as a movie-based game, but Kung-Fu Master was titled Spartan X in Japan, a tie-in with the Jackie Chan movie of the same name there. However, as per Wikipedia, its plot actually resembles a Bruce Lee movie, Game of Death, which it apparently started out as a game version of until it was linked to the aforementioned Jackie Chan film during development (again, as per Wikipedia).

9 hours ago, King Atari said:

Keystone Kapers, while (probably) not based on a specific entry, is certainly inspired by the silent Keystone Cops short films of the 1910s.

Yes, I think you're right. I don't how I missed that before. Probably because Keystone Kops has become a descriptive phrase, but there is actually a Keystone Kop in the game so I will add it to the Character List. Thanks!

• 1 month later...