IGNORED

POTENTIAL SALE- Atari 2600 Items, including rarities 9 and 10

Wonder007

While I agree that "mums the word" should have been the strategy, of course I can understand being excited and wanting to tell someone.

It's too bad that this kind of thing has happened to you Jose, it's pretty despicable in my opinion, since a simple (serious) pm to you could have worked things out in both of your favors.

What I'm most curious about, to be honest, is how did anyone find the seller in the first place? That's the part that I'm most interested in. If you were contacted by a "middle man", then I would be upset with that person if they contacted someone else.

Don't know the story, but would be interested. If you don't want to share that small part of it, I totally understand.

I wish you the best on the deal Jose - you're a super nice guy to deal with, and this would be a shame.

Everyone should stop with the "I'm interested in this title or that title", since it's irrelevant at this point.

Best of luck!

Orri~

While I agree that "mums the word" should have been the strategy, of course I can understand being excited and wanting to tell someone.

It's too bad that this kind of thing has happened to you Jose, it's pretty despicable in my opinion, since a simple (serious) pm to you could have worked things out in both of your favors.

What I'm most curious about, to be honest, is how did anyone find the seller in the first place? That's the part that I'm most interested in. If you were contacted by a "middle man", then I would be upset with that person if they contacted someone else.

Don't know the story, but would be interested. If you don't want to share that small part of it, I totally understand.

I wish you the best on the deal Jose - you're a super nice guy to deal with, and this would be a shame.

Everyone should stop with the "I'm interested in this title or that title", since it's irrelevant at this point.

Best of luck!

Orri~

It may not have even been anyone from this site. Anytime you post something on a message board, or even now with the age of the internet, people are going to want to make sure that before they sell something, they are getting fair market value. If the guy said something to someone, and that guy looked on eBay or typed in any names of any games for approximate value, and your offer was not decent enough, then of course the guy's not going to sell. When I bought all those gold NWCs, there was NOTIHNG on the internet about them. If I tried going after the ones I did not get now, of course I wouldn't be able to obtain them at the prices I paid for them.....internet has kind of ruined that, and I hate to say it, but "educating" people actually backfires on many people. It takes a long time to know the approximate values for things, and a lot of times someone will just ask for a price check and then instantly add 90% more to that price, and try to sell it, only to never appear again the in the community. A lot of times the people giving out these prices don't even have the stuff in their collection also, so it kind of hurts some of us willing to pay fair market values for certain things.

I learned a long time ago to always give fair market value for stuff, or close to it if I planned on reselling it as bulk. It's the way you present the case to someone which is the best form of negotiation. Anytime someone says they can get XXX on eBay for 500 items, they seem to forget all the packaging, shipping, and fees and HOURS involved with all of that until I bring up that point.

Eggs, hatched, that sort of thing.

People look stuff up, get really excited over a Homer BIN, thinking that all of their carts are worth $2000 apiece, then they cling to them for dear life and then they die and the games get sold in a garage sale for $1 apiece. Collectors are especially dangerous as they often overvalue their stuff beyond any reasonable cosideration of market value.

Eggs, hatched, that sort of thing.

People look stuff up, get really excited over a Homer BIN, thinking that all of their carts are worth $2000 apiece, then they cling to them for dear life and then they die and the games get sold in a garage sale for $1 apiece. Collectors are especially dangerous as they often overvalue their stuff beyond any reasonable cosideration of market value.

Hmmm, reminiscent of Red Sea Crossing....I Still think that ones a fake though but I'll stop before it turns to a thread hijack.

Some interesting ideas have been brought up. I don't think "having" the funds would be an issue, if someone offers you $25000 of gold for $10000 you are going to buy it even if you can't afford it, you know you will get the money back, just break out the platinum Visa. Possible it's a member here but like DreamTR mentioned, they could have found out another way, they might not even know this thread exists, I didn't for awhile and I could have easily found a guy on Craigslist or something asking the value of 100's of Complete Atari games, I could have easily said it was more then the first guy offered him, you get the point. If you ask me, competition is life, it's rare you get a crack at something valuable without several interested parties which eventually drives the price up to the point that it's not a good deal anymore.....I guess the trick is to buy stuff before it becomes rare but if we all did that then collecting wouldn't be fun anymore, ah I've rambled enough, Good Luck Wonder but I doubt you will still get this one at a decent price....whatever it is/was?

IMO it was probably someone from here...

Who's one thats involved with atari collecting and is going to drop a very lage amount of cash on a collection without being on such a site as this that deals only with atari.

Just doesn't make sense to think this person isn't from this community.

This thread really puts things into perspective for me. I mean, are some Atari 2600 games really worth hounding some guy on his deathbed for? There are things more important in life and everyone should be happy with what they have and the minute you feel let down because some Atari collection goes into the dump or someone else's collection and not yours, you should get out of the hobby. I'm only speaking for myself when I say this but, I don't want people in the hobby that get emotional when things don't go as planned with a trade or sale, its just not worth it. Someone else beat you to the punch, oh well... I mean it has happened to all of us in our lives. Go out and make a difference. I have devoted my collecting to focus on instruction variations for the Atari 2600. It will take the strength of all the collectors in this hobby if it is to continue on past our own generations.

This thread really puts things into perspective for me. I mean, are some Atari 2600 games really worth hounding some guy on his deathbed for? There are things more important in life and everyone should be happy with what they have and the minute you feel let down because some Atari collection goes into the dump or someone else's collection and not yours, you should get out of the hobby. I'm only speaking for myself when I say this but, I don't want people in the hobby that get emotional when things don't go as planned with a trade or sale, its just not worth it. Someone else beat you to the punch, oh well... I mean it has happened to all of us in our lives. Go out and make a difference. I have devoted my collecting to focus on instruction variations for the Atari 2600. It will take the strength of all the collectors in this hobby if it is to continue on past our own generations.

I agree with you......if I do not get this collection, that is fine with me. My thing is that I invested a lot of time talking to this guy and promises were made. Now t seems that there is a change of heart or something. All I ask is that you be straight with me and I will move on....that's it.....I don't like pressuring people into selling items.....I gave my offer and it was accepted.....now "things suddenly came up"....... So, it is like buying a car, the price was accepted and then when the paperwork is about to be signed, something suddenly came up????

Something I have learned in this hobby is to be PATIENT.....eventually you will get what you want (of course for the right price). Besides, I have better things to worry about, like my family. I spent most of my free time with my family and just go on the boards to buy items and answer PM's.

I agree with you......if I do not get this collection, that is fine with me. My thing is that I invested a lot of time talking to this guy and promises were made. Now t seems that there is a change of heart or something. All I ask is that you be straight with me and I will move on....that's it.....I don't like pressuring people into selling items.....I gave my offer and it was accepted.....now "things suddenly came up"....... So, it is like buying a car, the price was accepted and then when the paperwork is about to be signed, something suddenly came up????

Something I have learned in this hobby is to be PATIENT.....eventually you will get what you want (of course for the right price). Besides, I have better things to worry about, like my family. I spent most of my free time with my family and just go on the boards to buy items and answer PM's.

I think that you should be spending some of that free time of yours to finally show us some pics of your collection.

After all, we have ALL been PATIENT (as you say)... ;)

Thought that would get a laugh - but seriously, let's see it baby!

• 4 weeks later...

OK, I have a MAJOR UPDATE on this........

The man that offered this to me is avoiding me......I am not sure if he has sold the items to somebody else or has other plans with it. So, at this time, unless I get a call from him, I am going to walk away from this deal. I need to move on with my life so that is the end of this situation.....Don't be surprised if you start seeing some ultra rare stuff on E-Pay in the next few months.

I really wished he would have sold to me.....I would have given some good deals to all of you guys for the stuff I did not need.

Oh, if it is somebody from this forum that beat me to it.......good luck in getting the items.....no hard feelings. Just take good care of the stuff andbe reaonable when selling the items.

At the end of the day, I am glad that I am putting this past me, I can focus on getting other items. So, for those who always PM me with items you want to sell, please start that up again. :) (especially the Atari 2600 NTSC protos!!!!!) ;)

Of course, if anything changes, I will let all of you know.