IGNORED

Metagalactic Llamas VIC 20 -> Atari - finished

Heaven/TQA

here is RC5 - PAL / unpacked

Unfortunatly I can not fix the sound issue as i have absolutly no clue why sometimes the sound fx are played and sometimes not...same happened in my "NO-OS" version... could be my code, could be Miker's sound fx, could be Raster's FX playback in combination with the vic-code...i have no clue. but it is imho not a reason not to release it...

hope it works well on real machine... this RC5 will not work on NTSC. The fixes for NTSC will be done when the PAL is ok. the packed file version will be done when RC5 is ok as I do not want to spend linking and packing just to see that the main has still some issues...

it's a nature of the VIC code that for the file version you will need a game dos (sorry Andreas) as it uses $1000-$1dff for the game.

ps. there is a "loader screen" but to see it you have to switch off the SIO-patch in atari800win (so you are loading in original speed, F11 is the key to toggle the SIO-patch)

I'm hooking my XE up tomorrow so I'll check it out on the real thing. I'll be back after blasting several thousand llamas :D

here is RC5 - PAL / unpacked

Unfortunatly I can not fix the sound issue as i have absolutly no clue why sometimes the sound fx are played and sometimes not...same happened in my "NO-OS" version... could be my code, could be Miker's sound fx, could be Raster's FX playback in combination with the vic-code...i have no clue. but it is imho not a reason not to release it...

Heaven, do you stop old sfx before playing new one?

F.

Well,

for the file version I will need a gamedos ?!? I have no problem with that !! But on the other hand there are nice packers, like Magnus Cruncher, Code3 Cruncher, etc. that can pack the main program (the game) so it can be loaded from a DOS... did this already (packed the game with Code3 cruncher)... so maybe one day the final version can be released on Abbuc magazine (which uses a DOS 2.5 + menu program)... -Andreas Koch.

Andreas, as Abbuc member I want to make the game running from the 5,25 Abbuc disc... so you say. Code 3 cruncher could be the way to go? Maybe Superpacker of Bewesoft has memory move function as well...

but if using Code3 can I pack G2f-intro and the main game separatly and link them together with the loader?

Well,

normally Code3 Cruncher does not allow multi-loads (though experts have still found a way...), so I left the intro as it was - packed with Superpacker (afaik the intro works from DOS) and packed merely the game with Code3 Cruncher. Then I simply copied + appended the intro and the game back again into one file...

Code3 Cruncher packed programs use RAM from 8000-B7FF (or less if the packed program is shorter) and eventually from xxxx to BFFF (depending on the packed size of the program). Of course it uses RAM under the OS, so it wil only work on XL/XE computers, but as said before, the packed programs can be started from DOS (when the program has executed you cannot return to DOS though)... Most of the time, when you press Reset, the computer seems to have locked up and you have to press Reset again to do a cold start (unless the program is Reset-proof)... just insert a Reset = coldstart (Poke 580,1 or $0244) segment somewhere into the (packed or unpacked) program segments...

Note: There are several versions of Code3 Cruncher, for the best compression use version 3.0, but if you are as impatient as me, then use version 2.2D (D=disk, and in the packer press key "7" and then key "1" to pack as fast as possible to disk)... then reboot and load the linker (wait until it has loaded + linked the packed code from disk). When done, input a filename and save the program onto a different DOS 2.x diskette... Version 2.2D works with 64k RAM (but requires the Code3 Cruncher on a "bootdisk"), whereas most other versions require 128k RAM (almost all file versions, they don`t pack to disk but to XRAM instead; BEWARE: the file versions of Code3 Cruncher only require 128k RAM for packing - they will not pack nor unpack / execute any programs with more than 64k RAM correctly)...

Last not least, Code3 Cruncher can pack programs which use the following memory: $0480-$06FF, $0A00-BFFF, $C000-CFFF, $D800-FFFx (FFFB?) - so as I already said quite often: $0700-09FF and D000-D7FF are forbidden... and also $0000-047F...

-Andreas Koch.

Edited by CharlieChaplin

here is the final PAL version as ATR and packed .exe

when putting online f.e. atarimania or Fandal's archive please put the whole .zip or at least the game plus the readme.

Thanks to everybody who helped here.

next is the NTSC version as this version does not work on NTSC machines anymore (or at least in atari800win).

Have fun!

metalama.zip

here is the final PAL version as ATR and packed .exe

when putting online f.e. atarimania or Fandal's archive please put the whole .zip or at least the game plus the readme.

OK.

Thanks to everybody who helped here.

next is the NTSC version as this version does not work on NTSC machines anymore (or at least in atari800win).

Have fun!

Congratulations to authors!

F.

Tezz. Thanks! it was fun. So heading up to next project on my VIC-list... ;) need to catch up the momentum... ;)

Great game. Thanks Heaven/TQA. It's a lot of fun.

Don't know the original game but when you lose your last life you can see for a fraction of a second that the Llama is made of characters. "AB" I suppose.

Is this the case with the original as well?

Regards,

patjomki

P.S.: Tested on real PAL ATARI800XL.

but hard to change now... it is not so heavy "bug".

Of course it is not a big issue. I just wanted to contribute so that your phantastic conversion will be bug-free.

Anyway, if you can find time to fix it it'll be great if not I can live with it as well. ;-)

...O.K. back to shooting some spiders...

Regards,

patjomki