IGNORED

Tempest for 2600...another attempt.

Gorf

I was thinking flipping frames of playfields

Doing that without excessive flicker is apt to be difficult. Further, even if the playfields are symmetric the spikes wouldn't be.

I would think the 4A50 cartridge would be the best approach for doing a game like Tempest (actually, it's one of the games I had in mind when I wrote it). A 104x192 flicker-blinds bitmap screen with alternating scan lines colored blue-cyan and orange should work pretty well, and 4A50 has just about the fastest pixel-plot of any 6502-based machine. If the coordinate is in the X and Y registers, just:

lda $7F00,x
 ora $1E00,y
 sta $1E00,y

Three instructions, thirteen cycles. It's possible a future 4A50 might improve that further (to nine cycles, and not trashing the accumulator) but that's being pretty optimistic.

It's what I was thinking. But so far it's only a start and I will be needing help from the guru's on this one.

The Super Cart is a great Idea BTW!

• 1 month later...
So what's happening with this? Looks cool so far. Will it eventually have a rapid-fire option so you don't have to keep hitting the fire button repeatedly?

Hehe....have not gone near it.....another project(or so) is in front of it.

However, it would not be much like the real game if you dd not have to

pound the fire button.....you will need a VCS DC...modified with another

button. I suppose I could look at the option of a rapid fire...or..make you

earn it....yeah....more likely make you earn it....besides, you'll appreciate

it more.

;)

Anyway I will eventually get back to it but I still need a seasoned 2600 code

master to help me figure out a few tricks.

Edited by Gorf

• 3 weeks later...

OMFG!! make it happen dewd!! This is k-rad and so cool. That would be great fun to pit the two systems together, like a 2600(running your version of tempest) and a core duo with 9800gtx grafix bored running typhoon 2001.. side by side, then & now, yesterday & today. 8bits(crippled 6502) vs 384bits(grafics boared) yeh I would have a hard time figgering out which would be most fun.. :ponder:

• 4 weeks later...
I don't know if this has been suggested already or not but if you could make this run with the driving controller it would truly ROCK!

If this cart becomes a reality sign me up first on the list! I'll plunk down some good moola for a copy!

I agree! It would be really sweet to play that way! Can't wait...

Gorf-

I salute your effort, it would be awesome if this could be finished. Take your time and make it great! Let me know if you have any questions about the gameplay. I have access to the coin-op source as it is a great help for the 5200 version.

I will...I can definitely use a tempest gameplay expert....keep in mund I know little of

the 2600 and you should all thank Fred Quimby for bB. I will need a 2600 kernal wizard

more than anything.

Gorf-

I salute your effort, it would be awesome if this could be finished. Take your time and make it great! Let me know if you have any questions about the gameplay. I have access to the coin-op source as it is a great help for the 5200 version.

You have the source for the coin op Tempest?

Even with the source, It's been quite a few years since I did the 6502 thing.

This is bB based. However, I know you can use some form of inline assembly

with bB but the trouble with that is this is still bB based and therefore so is the

kernel.

As it stands....the bB kernel is a symetrical screen (right side mirrors the left side)

which will make the spikes pretty much impossible or not at all similar. I know there

are ways to do asymetrical screens on the 2600 and is why I need a brilliant kernel

writer.

As far as the source of Arcade Tempest is concerned, it would probably take me a

while to get back up to speed to be able to decifer it all in any reasonable time frame.

It would probably just be easier for Dutchman 2k to post me a few notes. Keep in mind

we only have so many cycles here. The 5200 has many more cycles and advantages

over the 2600 so it's not a port i'd curse anyone with. I'm just insane enough to give it

a try.

:P

• 5 years later...

Can this be beefed up with a harmony cart and be made?

The DPC+ kernel didn't exist back in 2008, so I bet the answer is yes. With 10 multicolored sprites and a higher resolution playfield, someone should be able to make something cool. Gorf got himself banned, so somebody else would probably have to do it.