IGNORED

Bomb Jack

OK - after some silence...

The last bugs (e.g. position-Y issue, causing sometimes sudden "teleportation") are being thrashed out.

Also, the collision detection has to be improved, and then the REAL final version will come. :)

Hi Miker! good to see the progress to the final version, I just got back last night from my month trip around Europe spending the last 5 days in Germany visiting the Oktoberfest. I've got a lot to catch up on here to see what's been happening in Atari Land tonight :)

BOMB JACK - FINAL VERSION AVAILABLE

Original article: link

Article translated by Google: link

File download:link

Sources:link

YT movie:

Required 320KB. Don't ask about other version required less memory, it is impossible for this quality. Enjoy.

Edited by Kaz atarionline.pl

Sorry, guys. But, please don't call it final.

The game looked so promising (the graphics still do).

Please have a look at the gameplay. I know Bomb Jack very well, but the levels are too hard, caused by deaths where the enemies are "on the other side of the screen" or at least too far away from killing Jack...

And the music.... really, the sounds of the intro are horrible, 1st level is ok and, when accidently reaching level 2, you hear a good balanced tune...

Nothing more to say:

Just a minor observation, right from the very start of the game. There is no "Press any key to continue" message on the Splash screen. I sat there thinking the game was still loading. Then I pressed "Start" which did nothing. Then I pressed the Joystick button... I thought the game was hung at first. Just a quick change to polish it up a bit.

Bob

Just a minor observation, right from the very start of the game. There is no "Press any key to continue" message on the Splash screen. I sat there thinking the game was still loading. Then I pressed "Start" which did nothing. Then I pressed the Joystick button... I thought the game was hung at first. Just a quick change to polish it up a bit.

Bob

Yes, you are right, that should be added to it. It is also the broken title screen still used with dli errors showing. I'll have to get onto that tonight.

OK, as a bonus i want to put here a small music-pack which allowed me to make some cool covers for the game (except those small pieces i've composed myself):

- bombjacktitle.mod (self-explaining)

- orient1.mid (screen two)

- bombjackmedly.mid (screen three, i used just the beginning of this medley)

- ladymadonna.mid (screen four, this music also appears in previous midi file but IMO it's a bit more messy)

- saint.mid (screen five, only fragment of it is covered, though)

- gradius.mid (perfect screen)

- magicalmysterytour.mid (the very end of it - game over)

- chrono4b.mid (high score! enter your initials)

The last remaining music is from Magnetic Fields II, but i don't remember which version i was messed with. ;)

Overall, the files came from AMP, Jarre Midi Collection, VGMusic, and some other unknown sites.

Feel free to make better covers! :)

Soooooooooo long... ( ;) )

miker

(edited some bugs)

bjmusic.zip

Edited by miker

Bob

Yes, you are right, that should be added to it. It is also the broken title screen still used with dli errors showing. I'll have to get onto that tonight.

If you didn't want to add the press any key message to the splash screen, you could simply put a little timer code so that the splash screen goes away on its own if no key is pressed in about 5-10 seconds. I would also add code that checked for the pressing of the "Start" key and maybe joystick button too.

Bob

Two facts: RMT still neither supports filter correction nor pokey frequency arpeggio! So I chose a different way for the fast repeating notes....

Nice experiments Mario. You should create something for new game(s) instead of waste your time on forum :). I will contact you soon.

Edited by Kaz atarionline.pl

Hello Kaz (and others),

I know Bombjack requires 320k RAM and I will not put that in question... but err, can someone pack the program so that it needs less diskspace (say with DJ packer or with deflate/inflate routine by FoX or something that depacks automatically) ?!? Maybe BJ will then fit on a 180k diskette... (Ok, I don`t have 360k or 720k diskdrives anymore, so I can play BJ only on the emu or via SIO2PC right now.)

-Andreas Koch.

I know Bombjack requires 320k RAM and I will not put that in question... but err, can someone pack the program so that it needs less diskspace (say with DJ packer or with deflate/inflate routine by FoX or something that depacks automatically) ?!? Maybe BJ will then fit on a 180k diskette... (Ok, I don`t have 360k or 720k diskdrives anymore, so I can play BJ only on the emu or via SIO2PC right now.) -Andreas Koch.

Good point, it should be easy to do. Unfortunatly I can't do it myself. Can someone help with?

Hello Kaz (and others),

I know Bombjack requires 320k RAM and I will not put that in question... but err, can someone pack the program so that it needs less diskspace (say with DJ packer or with deflate/inflate routine by FoX or something that depacks automatically) ?!? Maybe BJ will then fit on a 180k diskette... (Ok, I don`t have 360k or 720k diskdrives anymore, so I can play BJ only on the emu or via SIO2PC right now.)

-Andreas Koch.

See the attachment for packed version.

F.

Bomb_Jack__packed_.zip

• Like 1