IGNORED

Bomb Jack

Anyone play 'Gunpowder Charlie' aka 'Goodbye Charlie'

They're two completely different games: http://atarimania.com/lst_soft.php?SOFT_LI...;btn_sauver.y=0

I thought 'Gunpowder Charlie' was quite a fun little game. Could have done with a few more screens though.

I remember Goodbye Charlie - I think I still have the Compute! it appeared in.

Stephen Anderson

• 2 months later...

The colours always will be a small problem, since the ATARIs were optimized for NTSC.

The good thing on PAL computers was that the palette was really fixed. And on the PAL computers it show dead people when showing them on PAL

roxana_atari_stevedong.png

Actually, that skin colour is good for vampires ;-)

I was (and still am) very content with colours I could use for skin tones.

Since I managed to reactivate my 1050, here are four samples from the eighties - all

done with 'Atari Artist' so 4 colours only. Maybe I should do some 'brush up' with G2F?

CU

Irgendwer

post-7778-1209725801_thumb.png

Edited by Irgendwer

OK, to bring this topic back to it's essence... ;)

Here are some videos to show you how the latest build (dated 13.04.2008) works.

The color have been corrected (at least on first two levels). The collisions are on and you can see that the hero dies in some close-up situations. However - some bugs are still to hunt to (e.g. PM-glitches after collecting coins - mainly visible at screen #3).

Ignore please sound issue on screen #2. The decoder must have gone silly and the very beginning is much louder that it should be (in the game everything is stable).

So... here they go:

bjack_1_xvid.zip

bjack_2_xvid.zip

bjack_3_xvid.zip

bjack_4_xvid.zip

bjack_5_xvid.zip

OK, let's go then with the full BJ music credits:

Ingame music (midi-file conversions):

Screen #1 - From C64 (ingame) or just Magnetic Fields #2 (JMJ)

Screen #2 - Orient Express (JMJ)

Screen #3 - From Arcade (Level 1)

Screen #4 - From Arcade (Level 2) or just Lady Madonna (The Beatles)

Screen #5 - The Saint (The Orbital)

Additinal ones:

Title page - cover of C64 title tune

Game over - end-sequence of Magical Mystery Tour (The Beatles)

Hall of Fame score entry - Chronology #8 (JMJ)

PowerUp "P" (both phases) and endlevel tune - those three little ones are mine! :)

and the FX are mine too (slightly based on the arcade ones).

Oh, once more - for "Perfect" screen there is Ending Theme of C64 game "Gradius".

Edited by miker

OK, to bring this topic back to it's essence... ;)

Here are some videos to show you how the latest build (dated 13.04.2008) works.

Hi Miker, the screens in the videos are not from the latest version of the level graphics, level 3 in particular is an older test screen this was replaced a couple of months ago. After some careful thought about the colour order I've worked on improvements with the char sets a few weeks back and have further enhancements to the screens, bomb shapes and also to minimise the masking.

EDIT: I don't think Vega has included the new screens yet in the latest builds.

Edited by Tezz

Hi Tezz.

Yes, it's possible that screen 3 isn't from the latest version. It seems that Vega didn't include it yet, or maybe he just forgot to do this. Better i'll let him know... Thanks for pointing this.

Greetings!

miker

Edited by miker

Hi Tezz.

Yes, it's possible that screen 3 isn't from the latest version. It seems that Vega didn't include it yet, or maybe he just forgot to do this. Better i'll let him know... Thanks for pointing this.

Greetings!

miker

great ok. the new tracks you've done are great as ever btw :) I noticed that you'd changed them earlier. Are you going to use the Jarre track that you've taken out and replaced on another project? I liked it, you recreated it very well.

P.S. to all.. you can see the beginning of the removal of the char boxes around the bombs from the previous early versions, level 5 is actually corrected in this way also but the inverse flag must be forced where nessasary on all the screens to prevent for instance the purple showing around the bombs in the centre of the screen on screen 5 which is still showing on this build.

P.S. to all.. you can see the beginning of the removal of the char boxes around the bombs from the previous early versions, level 5 is actually corrected in this way also but the inverse flag must be forced where nessasary on all the screens to prevent for instance the purple showing around the bombs in the centre of the screen on screen 5 which is still showing on this build.

Well done, great job! I notice the removal of bad color background around the bombs. I know that means add more chars to be used from the little set of 128 char of one Atari set. How many set chars do you use per level? I'm very interesting to know how much it cost to do a screen as Bombjack.

Well done, great job! I notice the removal of bad color background around the bombs. I know that means add more chars to be used from the little set of 128 char of one Atari set. How many set chars do you use per level? I'm very interesting to know how much it cost to do a screen as Bombjack.

Hi Allas, after some thought about this actually I didn't need to use any more chars to fix this problem after all!! The masking is an illusion :) ...We were thinking about soft sprite masking but it wasn't feasable because we had maxed out the chars, the level graphics are using 4 fonts across the dli with a maximum of 83 chars in each set for the backgrounds, the bomb and ledge shapes are fixed chars added to each font by a procedure and the remaining chars in the sets are used by the soft sprites. So, there was no room for manovure. After some thought it seemed obvious that utilising the Atari's char attributes could assist by re-working out the backgrounds colour order (yet again!) carefully we could then use the inverse flag for the data around the bomb which would then be correctly using the colour of each ellement of the background wherever the bombs were placed on the screen. Also the next thing which has not been implemented yet (although I've done some working tests), the previously fixed bomb shapes in each of the fours sets can of course actually have independent shapes with parts of the background added to give the final illusion of masking. It's possible also this way for the bombs to be drawn with more colours added so we can replace the current c64 bomb shapes. I've planned this several weeks ago and done some succesful tests so this should appear in the final game. Screen 3 which I've spent way more time on than any of the other screens has been drawn and redrawn many times until I found a method I was happy with to make the final version. The fixed colours are as much of a limitation as the chars limit, it was actually more of a challenge then I anticipated to create screen 3 succesfully. It's not been included in the game yet but I'll post an avi shortly so you can see it.

Regards to all, Tezz.

Here's that latest and final 3rd background which isn't yet added to the game build which should appear in the final game. Regards, Tezz

Looks great ! One of the main things why I love Atari computers. It worth the effort. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, just noticed that...

great ok. the new tracks you've done are great as ever btw :) I noticed that you'd changed them earlier. Are you going to use the Jarre track that you've taken out and replaced on another project? I liked it, you recreated it very well.

Don't worry Tezz - it will appear somewhere (else). :)

Btw. sprite-multiplexer procedure is almost finished!

Don't worry Tezz - it will appear somewhere (else). :)
Great! It'd be a shame for them not to be used!

Btw. sprite-multiplexer procedure is almost finished!
I know :) I spoke with Krzysztof yesterday, he says the new bomb mask idea via chars might not be possible btw, i'll speak again to Vega tonight!

Update..

The multiplexing has now been included and it's looking good. Kudos to Vega's coding skills there! :cool: The correct 3rd background is now added also. The char restrictions prevent a possible idea I had to improve the bomb definitions and their masking however it will still be improved upon with an added procedure to control the inverse before it's release so it'll be ok.

So, not too long now for the release, the main procedures are in place, it's the final bug fixes and refinements!

• 1 month later...

There are a few things on the checklist before it's finalised so if everyone can please post their findings here.

The loading pic at the beginning btw has a few dli errors, the fixed version hasn't yet been added.

Regards to all. This project has been a long time coming :) Tezz