IGNORED

Bomb Jack

Vega decided to release the last beta-version. This is fully playable game, not demo or preview version. Needs at least 320KB RAM. Please report bugs and he will fix them and publish final version of "Bomb Jack". Direct link to xex file.

Site's down... but maybe everyone is still sleeping over there... ;)

Looks real good (from what I can get to run).

It just crashes in A800Win+ 4.1 whenever you hit an enemy or powerup.

Tried with Compy and Rambo 320 configs - same result.

thanks for the heads up. I'm using 4.0 (I'm waiting for my non-vol 512k for my Atari). Strange that 4.1 is a problem because Miker has been testing on the real hardware.

... is it possible to do a version that runs in 128KB (perhaps with multi-load screens)?
Thanks phil, this is being discussed yes. We're at the first beta release here so there are a few things to tick off the list.

Looks real good (from what I can get to run).

It just crashes in A800Win+ 4.1 whenever you hit an enemy or powerup.

Tried with Compy and Rambo 320 configs - same result.

In my A800Win+ 4.1 it works fine. Tried Rambo, Compy, Basic On/Off, SIO patch etc. and everything works ok.

Just noticed that in Highscore screeen the "color-changing" effect behing logo is not complete.

... is it possible to do a version that runs in 128KB (perhaps with multi-load screens)?
Thanks phil, this is being discussed yes. We're at the first beta release here so there are a few things to tick off the list.

Thanks, now I feel better...

I think that this game should be available for 64KB (maximum 128KB) machines (not for 16KB or 48KB machines, we don't want to make the same mistake of Atari - they continued to make 16/32/48KB stripped-down games till the end)!

It would also be nice to have the opportunity to buy a package like Yoomp! but I think it's impossible due to copyrights.

Strange that 4.1 is a problem because Miker has been testing on the real hardware.

Yeah - some time ago. ;)

And tested it now, too! - and it (still) works. :D

If there are some loading problems - put the file on PC-mirror and load it using APE-loader. When Vega returns from his vacation, maybe we try to make the file more compact.

@Philsan - well, there isn't any chance to put the game into 128kB. Most memory is occupied by software sprites and sprite-multiplexer, too (as you see the nasties aren't red as in earlier builds)...

There are a few things on the checklist before it's finalised so if everyone can please post their findings here.

The loading pic at the beginning btw has a few dli errors, the fixed version hasn't yet been added.

Regards to all. This project has been a long time coming :) Tezz

Good idea, releasing this on the 4th of July, with the bombs going off here in the U.S.! ;)

Nice game. I like the "Bom Jack" spinning logo screen, "High Score" screen, and music ... very nicely done.

Observations:

1. The platform graphics seem to blend in a little too much with the rest of the background -

post-6369-1215191827_thumb.png

Here are a couple of ideas for making them stand out a little more -

post-6369-1215191838_thumb.png...post-6369-1215191833_thumb.png

2. I noticed that I can die after I have completed a level. I have done this several times when getting the last bomb right next to an enemy. I don't know if this is the behavior of the original game, as this is the first time I have played Bomb Jack. Using AtariWinPLus 4.0...

Thanks for the further feedback mrfish :) Vega has opted to keep the original c64 ledges, i'll certainly run it by everyone. we wouldnt be able to do the edges on the sides of the ledges as in your concept however as it's only 1 char but the repeating centre would be. btw. it'd be best to change your pallette in the emulator it's looking very unusual!

EDIT* I forgot the end part of your post.. That ones already on the list of final tweaks. Thanks for testing, please report anything else you notice

Edited by Tezz