IGNORED

Bomb Jack

If you tell us how to do it ;) Personally I didn't know this game before.
apologies! I mustn't assume that everyone knows the game.... to achieve the bonus you must collect 20 or more of the blinking bombs in any level :)

Thanks for the further feedback mrfish :) Vega has opted to keep the original c64 ledges, i'll certainly run it by everyone. we wouldnt be able to do the edges on the sides of the ledges as in your concept however as it's only 1 char but the repeating centre would be. btw. it'd be best to change your pallette in the emulator it's looking very unusual!

I see what you mean about it being only 1 char... that makes things a little more difficult.

The palette I'm using is for NTSC colors ("XFormer" palette). I know it does help sometimes switching to the standard palette for games developed for PAL. I tried it to see, and there definitely is more contrast overall. Plus sky is blue instead of purple, bombs are red instead of dark brown. Opening screen looks better this way also. I prefer to see the way it was intended. But, too lazy to switch palettes most of the time. :D Looks good either way, though...

Here are my ideas for the platform again, but with the correct palette and single char:

post-6369-1215196460_thumb.png...post-6369-1215196466_thumb.png

Has anyone achieved the bomb bonus yet? it's worth it alone just to hear Mikers great Gradius music.

Compared to the arcade version (MAME), C64 & Amiga version it is very hard to hold the level by pressing

fire frequently. Jack sinks to fast and what is much more worse: I have the feeling that the latency/time for

the first 'press to hold' is to long: it's very difficult to hold the level at the top of a jump...

Graphically a very strong game, but I would also prefer black bombs like mentioned here before (yes I know,

the C64 has red ones too, but I would also vote for your arcade version platform design...),

and most of the colours are a little bit dark.

I discovered also the 'death after completed'-bug.

Anyhow: -> Great port - outstanding result! <-

Irgendwer

Edited by Irgendwer

ehm.... I thought it's me...as I am not a Bomb Jack hard core player...but I found it on GB easier and on C64 actually to fly to the top. But could be because I played it over Emu and keyboard...

wasn't it press fire, jack flys at the top and another press it descends?

anyway...good work... great gfx and great msx!

ehm.... I thought it's me...as I am not a Bomb Jack hard core player...but I found it on GB easier and on C64 actually to fly to the top. But could be because I played it over Emu and keyboard...

wasn't it press fire, jack flys at the top and another press it descends?

anyway...good work... great gfx and great msx!

Yeah, I second that! Phantastic gfx and gameplay is really well implemented. Msx are good as well although it is a pity they are just mono.

Anyway, this game is a lot of fun to play. Kudos to all who are involved in this project.

Regards,

patjomki

Hi all, thanks for all the comments.

To fly to the top of the screen you must press up on the joystick/pad/key before jumping :) repeatedly pressing fire whilst flying allows jack to glide. This is the same control as all the other versions. I'll post the instruction sheet in a few minutes.

lol. I like the picture for the "tapping button"... (on the instruction card).

Well had a chance to try it out. I'm still kinda used to the more refined "control" of the arcade. But I suppose resolution makes a big difference. Anyways I'm not sure if you are trying to pattern this after the arcade or some other version on another pooter. But a few things I noticed..

1st level, the bombs on the bottom left should be touchable when Jack is walking along the bottom.

I cant remember if the 1st level does this or not but at the very least from the 2nd level on. The side the enemies appear on should be the opposite of the side the player is on when the enemy appears.

Probably a bit late to do anything with this. But due to the largeness of the enemies it makes it real hard to navigate tight spaces. That combined with the speed of the player affects this.

In the beginning levels the bird (or whatever that thing is) should pauses between change directions. I forget at which level it does not hesitate but the "pause" between direction changes slowly decreases as you get further in the game.

Other than those observations everything looks great. I'd spend more time messing with it but it's beddy bye time for me. :)

Edited by Shannon

... repeatedly pressing fire whilst flying allows jack to glide...

Yes, I meant the gliding and that it starts to late when pushing the fire-button.

Another suggestion for improvement would be to reduce players 'passive' time.

For my taste the introduction of the game, the 'recover' from loosing a life or restarting

a new game takes to long and is a little bit boring after the 10th presentation.

I caught myself toggling the emulator 'Fullspeed/100%'-setting just to get rid of

the breaks. I think in the other versions the duration is not that long. Anyhow: Skipping

e.g. the 'loosing life'-scene by pressing fire would be nice. (Like starting over by pressing START.)

CU

Irgendwer

Edited by Irgendwer

Yes, I meant the gliding and that it starts to late when pushing the fire-button.

For my taste the introduction of the game, the 'recover' from loosing a life or restarting

a new game takes to long and is a little bit boring after the 10th presentation.

I also found the 'passive' time a bit much. One other thing, and I've never played any other version of this game, so this may just mirror the original game, but I actually collected the last bomb at the same time as getting killed. The death registered and the round restarted even though it was completed. So when the round restarted it immediately ended because it was already finished. I vote for a tie goes to the runner, and you just go onto the next round.

I also found the 'passive' time a bit much. One other thing, and I've never played any other version of this game, so this may just mirror the original game, but I actually collected the last bomb at the same time as getting killed. The death registered and the round restarted even though it was completed. So when the round restarted it immediately ended because it was already finished. I vote for a tie goes to the runner, and you just go onto the next round.
Hi, yes this is a known bug to be removed before release. A number of testers have reported this issue.

I caught myself toggling the emulator 'Fullspeed/100%'-setting just to get rid of

the breaks. I think in the other versions the duration is not that long. Anyhow: Skipping

e.g. the 'loosing life'-scene by pressing fire would be nice. (Like starting over by pressing START.)

CU

Irgendwer

thanks for the suggestion, I'll add this to the feedback list. I agree that it would be better reducing the time taken to restart.

I got it to work - seems to not like having the Disable Attract Mode option enabled on the emulator.

Couple of comments - the intro screens look great, but should cycle among them more slowly.

- the enemies often just seem to hang around in the same place, e.g. level 1 top right, makes it hard to get the bombs there (I don't know if the arcade behaves that way, only played it once)

- great music, easily better than the arcade version (not that it's exacly good).

- like others, having trouble getting him to hover.

I got it to work - seems to not like having the Disable Attract Mode option enabled on the emulator.

Couple of comments - the intro screens look great, but should cycle among them more slowly.

- the enemies often just seem to hang around in the same place, e.g. level 1 top right, makes it hard to get the bombs there (I don't know if the arcade behaves that way, only played it once)

- great music, easily better than the arcade version (not that it's exacly good).

- like others, having trouble getting him to hover.

Thanks for that, I had forgotten about the title screen / hi-score screen transition time, this was on my list a while ago to double the time between the change.

what type of controller are you using to play? I'm not sure yet why people are finding the hover difficult. There have been tweaks made by Vega in the way that Jack behaves to work better with the engine to counter what otherwsie would have been speed issues.

Glad you got to the bottom of the issue with 4.1 :)

Edited by Tezz

Reading through the points here in the thread again regarding the controls and particularly with the glide, it'll most prob be the latency of the control that your experiencing. Remember that the game is using large software sprites and PM multiplexing, Vega tweaking and crafting Tebe's engine for the game had to overcome obsticles to gain the speed required for the gameplay. We'll see how things progress to the final version.