IGNORED

NES vs 7800

SoundGammon

The thing is, I really wouldn't care about his cracks, provided the mods here would allow people to respond in kind with the same level of abuse that he puts out. Problem is, they don't allow that. I've been put on moderator preview here for far less egregious posting than zylonbane and a few others are allowed to dish out. It's like this board is an NBA game, the mods are NBA refs, and Zylonbane is LeBron James. Dude gets away with crap no one else can.

Because what ZylonBane says is often true (if sarcastic and a bit snarky), wheras what you say is often nothing but cold, hard insults.

The latest example above was not snarky and sarcastic. It was stupid douchebaggery. Most of it is.

What truth is there to constantly insulting people by making the same dumb suggestions? Here's the Zylonbane advice system:

1) Use the forum search.

2) Don't bump an old post.

So basically use the search, then, if you still have a question, don't post to the old thread as that is bumping the dead. Also, don't start a new thread because you'll be told you should have done a search. So don't bump an old thread or start a new one. So just screw off and don't be interested in Atari I guess.

Evil robots suck and we all know it. There are entire sub-genres of science fiction dedicated to that fact.

• Like 2

The thing is, I really wouldn't care about his cracks, provided the mods here would allow people to respond in kind with the same level of abuse that he puts out. Problem is, they don't allow that. I've been put on moderator preview here for far less egregious posting than zylonbane and a few others are allowed to dish out. It's like this board is an NBA game, the mods are NBA refs, and Zylonbane is LeBron James. Dude gets away with crap no one else can.

Because what ZylonBane says is often true (if sarcastic and a bit snarky), wheras what you say is often nothing but cold, hard insults.

This really couldn't be further from the truth. Teh guy called a brand new usera "two year old" because he didnt' like him bumbping a year old thread.

I bet if the guy started a new thread on this subject, Zylonbane or one of the other insulting people here would have yelled at him for not using the search feature. It's an old boys club mentality here. You're not allow to bump an old thread, or start a new one about a subject that might have been covered before, unless you're someone with a huge post count and thus "informed" by AtariAge forum standards. Which is ridiculous, on it's own. Just because you make a LOT of posts doesn't mean you know anything more than a brand new user.

Whatever. Zylon insults everyone except those who kiss his ass. I'm proud not to be a kiss ass. To each, his own.

• Like 3

I find that with a lot of cult interests, there is a "comic book guy" inclusive, condescending attitude. nevertheless there are billions of enthusiastic fans of atari, or the red sox, or old vw or whatever. the problem with the insults is that it discourages people like me from posting new ideas, and others from disseminating knowledge. thanks everyone who stuck up for me and merry christmas.

• Like 1

This really couldn't be further from the truth.

Oh, really? Let's review. This was taken from the "Most Advanced 7800 Games" thread:

The submarine scenes [in Tower Toppler] took advantage of the 7800's high-res display mode to do just that [parallax scrolling].

No, it took advantage of the 7800's display lists to do that. The submarine sequence doesn't run in high-res mode.

Not quite correct. The digits and score at the top are done in 320A then a DLI is called to change mode for the parallax scrolling.

That's nice, but I said nothing about the status display. I was referring strictly to the scrolling submarine part.

I'm all for pedantry, but at least do it correctly.

And Grooveybee has released a number of games and is on the dev team for the 7800 expansion module, while you've released nothing, and are nothing but a pedantic troll.

What good is it being a know-it-all about 7800 coding, if you only use it to be a fucking smart ass on the internet?

I rest my case.

• Like 1

now this might be applicable... when nintendo released their classic NES series on the gba, flicker and slowdown were NOT corrected, e.g. the dungeons in zelda when they had lots of enemies. based on my limited experience I would say that comparisons between classic consoles can be accurately done with good emulation.

Depends on how accurate the emulation is. Even then it's not as much a comparison between consoles as a comparison between two different games/different versions of the same game.

that's a good point. it would come to a comparison of emulators!!

And nothing said there was either:

1. Any worse than zylonbanes typical antics

And yet, you're the one who got put on moderator preview.

2.Untrue in the slightest.

Wrong. I've looked back at several years of posts from both you and ZylonBane, and this is how it always goes:

Someone says something stupid, wrong, or just non-sensical.

ZylonBane sarcastically points it out.

Underball comes along and uses the words "pedantic troll and "fucking smart ass".

QED

• Like 1

OK guys, enough with the personal attacks. Lets get it back on topic.

Since none outside of the moderators know who's been warned or on moderator preview it's useless to speculate about it. Please refrain from doing so.

Thank you,

Mitch

Underball comes along and uses the words "pedantic troll and "fucking smart ass".

Here is a definition of sarcasm:

1. A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound.

Your best defense of the evil robot man is that his remarks are cutting and intended to wound. And these cutting, wounding remarks are most often directed at new posters. People with perhaps a new interest in Atari, and limited experience with these (perhaps any) forums. And the policy you want to see followed is that we be as cutting as possible so as to wound them.

Real life has become sickeningly rude enough. Can our happy little land dedicated to old games where spaceships shoot UFOs please do better. We are here to discuss a love of silly, children's electronics from two decades ago. I doubt we should be trying to exclude people who are trying to share that same interest. I imagine we are a small enough group already.

Be rude to other long time posters if you have to. Can we please be nicer to newbies who think we're intelligent enough people to seek answers from.

Edited by Atarifever
  • Like 4

Here is a definition of sarcasm:

1. A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound.

Your best defense of the evil robot man is that his remarks are cutting and intended to wound. And these cutting, wounding remarks are most often directed at new posters. People with perhaps a new interest in Atari, and limited experience with these (perhaps any) forums. And the policy you want to see followed is that we be as cutting as possible so as to wound them.

You may have not noticed, but the only people who start flame wars over ZB's posts are Underball and (hate to say it) atariksi. The members he is "cutting into" almost never take his posts as anything more than a joke and actually use his advice.

And back on-topic, both NES and 7800 have their strengths. NES can do smooth, easy scrolling as well as high-detail graphics. 7800 can push tons of sprites onscreen with no flicker. Except for existing in the same generation, they're completely different in terms of hardware. The idea of 7800 doing, say, Kirby's Adventure is just not probable. At the same time, it's not at all hard to believe that NES couldn't do Robotron (at least, not without tons of flicker).

The idea of 7800 doing, say, Kirby's Adventure is just not probable.

I don't see anything in this video of the game that the 7800 would have a problem with :-

I have played and aced Kirby's Adventure, and I saw plenty that wouldn't work on 7800. Rotating buildings, huge levels that scroll in all directions, detailed backdrops, multi-layered music tracks, lighting effects, high speed chases, and lots of moving objects with 3-5 different colours on the same scanline. Are you telling me 7800 can pull all that off at once?

I have played and aced Kirby's Adventure, and I saw plenty that wouldn't work on 7800. Rotating buildings, huge levels that scroll in all directions, detailed backdrops, multi-layered music tracks, lighting effects, high speed chases, and lots of moving objects with 3-5 different colours on the same scanline. Are you telling me 7800 can pull all that off at once?

The 7800 can scroll in all directions and do detailed backdrops. It can also do 25 colours per scan line. Its only weakness in the above list is sound. There didn't appear to be too many enemies on screen at once in that video.

• Like 1

The 7800 can scroll in all directions and do detailed backdrops. It can also do 25 colours per scan line. Its only weakness in the above list is sound. There didn't appear to be too many enemies on screen at once in that video.

But can it do every single of tricks I mentioned on screen at the same time? And Kirby's Adventure frequently has 5-10 enemies on the screen (one level even has an area with 20 wheel enemies rushing around you at once).

But can it do every single of tricks I mentioned on screen at the same time? And Kirby's Adventure frequently has 5-10 enemies on the screen (one level even has an area with 20 wheel enemies rushing around you at once).

The 7800 can do animated scrolling backdrops. Its all to do with how a programmer makes best use of the hardware. Don't forget that the 7800 was never pushed during its commercial lifetime.

compare robotron on the 7800 to ANYTHING on the nes, see how close you get (as far as moving objects,). and yes, imagine if the 7800 had years of development by top programmers instead of basically pre-release software and one little bottom-shelf development push years after hardware release...

• Like 1

compare robotron on the 7800 to ANYTHING on the nes, see how close you get (as far as moving objects,). and yes, imagine if the 7800 had years of development by top programmers instead of basically pre-release software and one little bottom-shelf development push years after hardware release...

Are you suggesting it might've eventually had a bunch of low-color sprites shuffling over a COLOR background?

I understand that the sprite-pushing is impressive (it is), but that doesn't mean it could do Kirby's Adventure. Or even anything as nice-looking as Super Mario Bros 2. Doesn't mean that it can't, either, but I guess it takes more than "look at robotron" to convince me.

And I'm not trying to crap on your point about Robotron - like I said, it IS impressive - but I guess I just see a lot of empty talk here about what could've been or should've been, and seldom any demonstrations.

• Like 1

Are you suggesting it might've eventually had a bunch of low-color sprites shuffling over a COLOR background?

There are plenty of games where sprites shuffle over a color background. icon_razz.gif

I understand that the sprite-pushing is impressive (it is), but that doesn't mean it could do Kirby's Adventure. Or even anything as nice-looking as Super Mario Bros 2. Doesn't mean that it can't, either, but I guess it takes more than "look at robotron" to convince me.

He's coded the 7800 extensively and his educated opinion is that it can. Have you coded the 7800 extensively to provide an educated opinion that it can't?

I guess I just see a lot of empty talk here about what could've been or should've been, and seldom any demonstrations.

Search is your friend.