IGNORED

Solitare card games for the Lynx

karri

In fact I took the back side into account so there are 13+1 cards and you'll end up with 37x49

Here's a first draft, I cleaned the hearts, spades... did a solid border with vaguely round edges and tried to fit everything on the 10 hearts, seems ok to me

post-7941-1204086822_thumb.png

Sorry, my fault with the math (I wonder what I was thinking...). The result is now much better visually!

--

Karri

I know this is kinda off the subject, but I wish there had been a Star Trek: TNG Poker game back in the day. I actually wrote one for the Atari ST using STOS. You could play against all the regular poker players from the show: Riker, Troi, Worf, Data, Dr. Crusher... And they all had their own style of play too.

Anyway... Just thinking something like that might be cool for the Lynx. Or at least maybe some unique card designs instead of the standard Hoyle ones...

Nice idea.

If the Lynx had a little more memory something like animated Harry Potter playing cards would be quite cool. Hmm. Perhaps I should do it on a PSP.

But even on a Lynx you could have special decks like black cards, cards with transparent areas, giant cards where the number and single suit symbol fill the whole cart.

Multiplayer games with passing the Lynx around or using ComLynx could be designed also.

But I believe that FreeCell or Klondike is the ones I would play myself.

--

Karri

I know this is kinda off the subject, but I wish there had been a Star Trek: TNG Poker game back in the day. I actually wrote one for the Atari ST using STOS. You could play against all the regular poker players from the show: Riker, Troi, Worf, Data, Dr. Crusher... And they all had their own style of play too.

Anyway... Just thinking something like that might be cool for the Lynx. Or at least maybe some unique card designs instead of the standard Hoyle ones...

Nice idea.

If the Lynx had a little more memory something like animated Harry Potter playing cards would be quite cool. Hmm. Perhaps I should do it on a PSP.

But even on a Lynx you could have special decks like black cards, cards with transparent areas, giant cards where the number and single suit symbol fill the whole cart.

Multiplayer games with passing the Lynx around or using ComLynx could be designed also.

But I believe that FreeCell or Klondike is the ones I would play myself.

--

Karri

What I'm wondering is when you have the deck graphics done.. that would be the most cart memory intensive aspect. Adding other variants would probably take up little space. Aces Up would be a nice addition.

by the way I used 4 red levels, 3 gray levels, black, white and transparency, which leaves 6 colors available.

I was thinking of making the jack, queen and king in red/black shades.

I feel that you need yellow too. That is a royal color that makes the King and the Queen stand out immediately.

Very nice cards so far. Just use all the colors. I checked the memory consumption by runnin sprpck on 10 of hearts. It was around 620 bytes. So the complete deck will eat only half of the available RAM. The screen buffers eat around 12000 bytes. That leaves around 20000 bytes for the code which is ok.

--

Karri

Edited by karri

Thanks you Semicolo.

I had a quick eye on it during lunch time.

I made a quick & dirty solitaire game, probably the most easiest reussite to code & play, the one I used to play when I was really young :D

You only draw 2 cards at a time, and can only choose to send to front one to your piles (if the card is Ok in the sequence) or draw 2 next cards.

Here is the link :

http://fadest.free.fr/DevLynx/reussite.o

Easy, Medium, Hard are only to determine how much visible card form the stack you will see.

It is possible that some games are buggy (you won't get an Ace during the 1st turn), like in reality when you shuuffle the cards by yourself :D (but there is no trick, unlike reality)

A snapshot

reussite.gif

3 remarks :

- I use the good old BLL kit, well, I you want the code, you can ask for, but there is no comment and variables use french word. The programming in itself is really ugly (only had 1 hour to do this)

- I don't knox it this is my bmp conversion fault or not (I do not have good picture sofware), but the black card (spades...) are transparent, so I did not used transparencies.

- Oh, and the whole deck use more than 35 kb, so it let only few kilobytes to make a game. Well this is not a real problem as the one I would like to make do not use the whole deck...

Thanks you Semicolo.

I had a quick eye on it during lunch time.

I made a quick & dirty solitaire game, probably the most easiest reussite to code & play, the one I used to play when I was really young :D

You only draw 2 cards at a time, and can only choose to send to front one to your piles (if the card is Ok in the sequence) or draw 2 next cards.

Here is the link :

http://fadest.free.fr/DevLynx/reussite.o

Easy, Medium, Hard are only to determine how much visible card form the stack you will see.

It is possible that some games are buggy (you won't get an Ace during the 1st turn), like in reality when you shuuffle the cards by yourself :D (but there is no trick, unlike reality)

A snapshot

reussite.gif

3 remarks :

- I use the good old BLL kit, well, I you want the code, you can ask for, but there is no comment and variables use french word. The programming in itself is really ugly (only had 1 hour to do this)

- I don't knox it this is my bmp conversion fault or not (I do not have good picture sofware), but the black card (spades...) are transparent, so I did not used transparencies.

- Oh, and the whole deck use more than 35 kb, so it let only few kilobytes to make a game. Well this is not a real problem as the one I would like to make do not use the whole deck...

Index 0 of his palette is probly black, all he needs to do is change that to a color thats not used.

I played your game a few times yesterday and it worked well.

The size of the deck is actually OK for real use. I will probably create a card set made of upper tiles that shows when they are stacked. This means that the upper parts would be in RAM for all cards and I need at most around 13 whole cards in memory. This should save enough space for creating Klondike or Freecell.

I also intend to encapsulate this complexity in a card-class so it should not affect the code too much. A card would then have a few states:

- face down

- partly visible

- completely visible

--

Karri

No, index 0 is dark green

You should download the gimp, it's really powerful :

http://www.wingimp.org/

I already have it on my laptop at home (even if I don't really know how to use it).

But this was during lunch time, at work. I have the BLL kit on an USB key, in case of emergency (urgent need of programming session :D).

So I had really small amount of time to look at graphism, and this is probably my fault.

No, index 0 is dark green

You should download the gimp, it's really powerful :

http://www.wingimp.org/

I never liked Gimp.. it's counter intuitive imho

But it works perfectly for Lynx graphics developement. Sprpck eats 16-color bmp files and 1-bit pcx files created by Gimp directly.

Gimp can also re-arrange the indexes to any order you want in seconds. And it can map any RGB files to any predefined Lynx indexed palette. So it is worth learning if you like coding for the Lynx.

--

Karri

• 5 months later...

Any ideas about the user interface?

Should the Lynx work as a traditional mouse? With a cursor and two mouse buttons?

My current idea is to use button A for

- click on a card

- hold card while dragging

Button B would be used for

- undo (if I implement it)

Opt 2 would be used as in MegaPak for music. It is a toggle like

- play next tun

- silence

Opt 1 would be

- hint (if I can implement it)

- demo mode

Any ideas?

I plan to release a simple demo shortly that allows you to experiment with manipulating the cards and try out the user interface.

post-2099-1218777450.png

My current approach keeps all the graphics on the cart instead of in RAM as there is not enough space on the RAM. I still don't know if the animations for flipping a card is too time consuming because of this. That remains to be seen.

--

Karri

Edited by karri

Any ideas about the user interface?

Should the Lynx work as a traditional mouse? With a cursor and two mouse buttons?

My current idea is to use button A for

- click on a card

- hold card while dragging

Button B would be used for

- undo (if I implement it)

Opt 2 would be used as in MegaPak for music. It is a toggle like

- play next tun

- silence

Opt 1 would be

- hint (if I can implement it)

- demo mode

Any ideas?

I plan to release a simple demo shortly that allows you to experiment with manipulating the cards and try out the user interface.

post-2099-1218777450.png

My current approach keeps all the graphics on the cart instead of in RAM as there is not enough space on the RAM. I still don't know if the animations for flipping a card is too time consuming because of this. That remains to be seen.

--

Karri

I think its better to go to next Column with the cursor left/rigth and go to row ith up/down select with A(Maybe make a rectangle around the selected cardor col) . Please dont work like mouse thats not funny in games i dont like it. I think you dont should make it with hold the button. Make select an item and by the place you like to lay down presss the button again

Greatings Matthias