IGNORED

Solitare card games for the Lynx

karri

Today I got a registered letter. I was again scared to death as every time I have got one it always contains a call into military service. Last time I received one I was called in for two weeks in -32 degrees.

WTF!?

They call you into the military? And not just for a few months once in a lifetime, but occasionally for a few weeks?

Errr, 108 Stars, this also was (or is it still?) common practice in Germany to draft reservists from time to time for some weeks, look up "Wehrübung" on the German language version of Wikipedia. When I left the German Federal Navy after my year of service, I also was informed that I could be drafted for defence training, but it never happened (mainly due to the end of the Cold War, I presume, plus I was radioman aboard the minesweeper "Ulm" and cryptographic and communications technology changed continously - we were demanded to use morse code for most of our ship-to-ship and ship-to-land communications, e.g.).

Edited by Thorsten Günther

• 1 month later...
  • 6 years later...

I just dusted off some old game and ported it to my latest and greatest compiler.

Here is a sneak preview of the new card set.

post-2099-0-19073300-1489522918_thumb.png

The ABCmusic is also ditched in favour of Chipper.

And there is two absolutely fabulous solitaire games being added to the collection of games. The new ones are not card games.

The reason for this upgrade is that I realized what is important on a small screen. Just a look at the new cards show the obvious thing. Keep it simple and clear.

• Like 3

it looks much better and clearer indeed! Well done!

(Maybe center the color icon and add something for kings and queens to make them more noticeable?)

Also I played solitaire some time ago (and looked at the source for inspiration ;)), it seems that you were not using the double buffer for rendering. Was it because you had too many assets to put in memory? I guess with the new card layout, this problem is solvable :)

it looks much better and clearer indeed! Well done!

(Maybe center the color icon and add something for kings and queens to make them more noticeable?)

Also I played solitaire some time ago (and looked at the source for inspiration ;)), it seems that you were not using the double buffer for rendering. Was it because you had too many assets to put in memory? I guess with the new card layout, this problem is solvable :)

There was no chance to fit 52 card bitmaps in memory. I used the second screenbuffer as a clean background desktop. The piles were rendered to the background. Any erase operations copied data from the background to the display.

With the new card layout I will move back to double buffered display.

Most tunes will also be ditched and replaced with shorter background sound loops and game sound effects. The ABC tunes were terribly out of tune anyway.

I might actually center the suits and perhaps also create some fun king, queen, jack graphics. Perhaps caricatures of the characters from The Labyrinth (a David Bowie movie).

I am almost finished on a new GUI. Before writing the code for all card games I would like to get a little feedback of how it feels.

So this is a week-end poll:

Which game would you like to test (if any):

Klondike

post-2099-0-72056500-1489924490_thumb.png

In Klondike you try to move cards on the top piles starting from Ace and going up to the King. In the game you get new cards from the deck at top left.

Freecell

post-2099-0-75310400-1489924511_thumb.png

In Freecell you try to move cards on the top piles starting from Ace and going up to the King. You may move cards from one pile to another in order to arrange the piles in order to get access to the next card to move to the pile. You have 4 empty card places at top left to assist you in arranging the cards.

Spider

post-2099-0-99751200-1489924532_thumb.png

In Spider you try to build piles starting from the King and going down to the Ace. Once a pack is complete it "vanishes" from the game. You get new cards from the deck.

If any game gets more than 4 votes I will implement the most popular one and publish it here for testing on the SD card or emulator.

Voting time stops when the first game gets 5 votes.

• Like 1

I vote freecell since I know the rules :D (by the way a tutorial screen with some explanation could be a nice addition ;)).

Only thing I would tweak visually is to ass 1 or 2 pixels space between the top of the card and the number (it's the case on the third screenshot, not on the two first one). I would also add a little something to make King and Queen stand out a little more (but an artist opinion/suggestion is probably required there :)). Blue background would be nicer too imo.

I vote freecell since I know the rules :D (by the way a tutorial screen with some explanation could be a nice addition ;)).

Only thing I would tweak visually is to ass 1 or 2 pixels space between the top of the card and the number (it's the case on the third screenshot, not on the two first one). I would also add a little something to make King and Queen stand out a little more (but an artist opinion/suggestion is probably required there :)). Blue background would be nicer too imo.

Thanks for the idea about a tutorial. I may actually add it.

Pixels are expensive on the Lynx. I could try 1 additional pixel above the number.

For the King, Queen and Jack I plan to add a small drawing instead of the suite graphics. This, as well as sound effects will go to the real game later. Not to this GUI demo.

post-2099-0-29743700-1489927819_thumb.png

Please also comment on the blue background and the one extra pixel above the numbers.

• Like 1