IGNORED

Solitare card games for the Lynx

karri

One week has passed and no game received 5 votes.

So no free games to be uploaded, sorry guys.

But I did send the games to the voters.

Here is a small instruction page.

1) At startup the screen is black until you press a key. This is for generating a little randomness.

2) The cursor is a pink card. You move it by the joypad.

post-2099-0-44800300-1490304421_thumb.png

post-2099-0-73947400-1490304507_thumb.png

3) Press A to select cards. The selection turns blue.

post-2099-0-14307800-1490304553_thumb.png

4) Press A again to drop the selection of cards somewhere

post-2099-0-95395700-1490304707_thumb.png

5) Press B to turn a new card from the deck

post-2099-0-79166700-1490304734_thumb.png

6) If you want to examine a card that is partly hidden in the pile like this

post-2099-0-74560700-1490304788_thumb.png

7) Press B to show the card

post-2099-0-76136700-1490304866_thumb.png

If you really mess up you can press Opt1 to start over again with the same game.

If you want to cheat you can press Opt1 + Opt2 to enter cheat mode. Then you can move any cards anywhere just like in real life. Grandmother always cheated at the end.

• Like 1

Bubbles!!!

I just got the perfect background idea to the game. What about bubble-formed reflections of a disco-ball swirling around slowly to the right? And the music would be just a pattern of accords playing on accents.

For card sounds a pling when you set a card to the target pile and a tap when you drop the card on the table.

Shuffle sound for the deck at startup.

The games would be numbered starting from 0 going up to 65535. So if you want to re-play the previous game you could just decrement the game number and press play.

Klondike games would be one card/three cards.

Spider games would be Spades/Spades and Hearts/all suits.

One week has passed and no game received 5 votes.

So no free games to be uploaded, sorry guys.

But I did send the games to the voters.

Here is a small instruction page.

1) At startup the screen is black until you press a key. This is for generating a little randomness.

2) The cursor is a pink card. You move it by the joypad.

attachicon.gifgui1.png

attachicon.gifgui2.png

3) Press A to select cards. The selection turns blue.

attachicon.gifgui3.png

4) Press A again to drop the selection of cards somewhere

attachicon.gifgui4.png

5) Press B to turn a new card from the deck

attachicon.gifgui5.png

6) If you want to examine a card that is partly hidden in the pile like this

attachicon.gifgui6.png

7) Press B to show the card

attachicon.gifgui7.png

If you really mess up you can press Opt1 to start over again with the same game.

If you want to cheat you can press Opt1 + Opt2 to enter cheat mode. Then you can move any cards anywhere just like in real life. Grandmother always cheated at the end.

Boohoo, I was on skiing holiday and missed this......can I still........ love this idea of these games on the Lynx !!

Grattis!

Yep. Already 4 times for me :). But it has been a while... My youngest is already 19 and we are currently in Vienna going to an opera tomorrow.

And I had lunch with another Lynx enthusiast today :)

It is nice to get a face on the people here at AtariAge.

Bubbles and the sound ideas all sound like great complimentary effects and welcome extra polish to the game.

Any consideration for a title/menu screen?

Always a thrill to discover what a diverse mix of fascinating personalities the Atari scene has and is continuing to host and attract.

Karri is for sure another one injecting a lot of rhythm and vision to our Lynx community :)

(Hope the trip up to Salzburg is the right contrast to Werther ;) )

So with a little late, here are my suggestions to the Freecel game mode (for the little story I did this "QA test" with one of the QA ninja of CCS ahah ;))

Player experience:

- There is a small imput-lag when changing cards. Not much, but enough to lower the player experience.

- When you're looking at cards in a column and you decide to change column, the newly selected card becomes the first card of the new column, whereas I would have expected the card next to it to be selected instead. (in simpler words, I would prefer to be able to move between cards as they were in a grid).

- When you do an incorrect move, the card lose focus and the card that you move onto get it. This would be much better IMO if after an incorrect move, the card would be put back at its original location but keeping the focus.

Graphics

- When you press B to have a better look at a card: If it's the first card, it does nothing but removing the red highlight (make sense in a way), but cards behind are brought to the foreground without having a frame, so you have a lot of white on white - a bottom line would help.

- Very minor, but the cards are missing 1 pixel on both top-left and bottom-right corners. It is probably intended to give a rounded-corner effect, but it caught my eyes (I'm testing with Handy so this might look better on the lynx).

That's it for now. Hope it does not sound to harsh, that's not the intention but that's how QA testing feels sometime ;)

Bubbles and the sound ideas all sound like great complimentary effects and welcome extra polish to the game.

Any consideration for a title/menu screen?

Always a thrill to discover what a diverse mix of fascinating personalities the Atari scene has and is continuing to host and attract.

Karri is for sure another one injecting a lot of rhythm and vision to our Lynx community :)

(Hope the trip up to Salzburg is the right contrast to Werther ;) )

Yes. Thanks for the tip to visit the lakes. The view was breath-taking. So different to Norwegian fjords. But now it is time to find something to eat in Salzburg.

@LordKraken

The input lag is because there is a fixed delay trying to slow down too fast cursor movement. But I can easily remove it from select/drop.

About selecting a pile...

If I press on the last card in a pile I assume you want to move just one card - not two. I don't understand your idea here.

The B button has a dual meaning in Klondike and Spider. If you are on the last card of a pile it means deal new cards from the deck. For Freecell thereis no need for a dual use so this is easy to fix.

Drawing scaled bitmaps blurres the edges. I could easily draw exact polygons instead.

Thanks for the suggestions.

It would be easier to explain with a diagram but I have no decent tool on my laptop (please don't tell me gimp, I'm allergic :D).

What I meant is that it would be easier IMO to move between the cards as in a grid. So if I have the focus on the second card of column A and I push right with the joystick, the focus would go on the second card of column B, and not on the top card of column B like it is now.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

I used hours on Sunday trying to get a semi-decent guitar sound out of the Lynx. No luck so far.

Chipper has tools to bend the frequency up/down on a guitar string like in Johnny B Goode riffs.

But the sound is pretty chaotic.

Sadly the Lynx is not me favourite multitimbral synthesizer.

Some kind of instrument archive for Chipper would be cool. A way to share great instrument settings with some textual explanation of what it can be used for. And a sound sample to listen to. Perhaps I should start a thread with the instruments used in Flappy. (In the Programmers section)

But on the good side the card games are finished. And there just may be room for two extra games on the cart if I keep the sounds simple.

Edited by karri
  • Like 2