IGNORED

Atari POP Kiosk Restoration

GrizzLee

I finally finished my Atari POP Kiosk.

About 3 years back I aquired an original Atari 2600 POP kiosk. The cabinet was destroyed from water damage. But I was able to salvage the main console, the light bar and the brain (has 41 built-in games).

The pictures show the unit when I first got it and how I intergrated it into the back room of my game room. The original intent was to use a Commodore monitor with the brain modified for S-Video. Unfortunately, the Commodore monitor was too deep. I decided to use my flatscreen monitor from my RV ( It is easily disconnected and put back in when we go on road trips). It all looks and works great. I have one problem. Unfortunately, the S-Video circuits for the various 2600s only partially work with the brain. So for now, I have it hooked up to the LCD monitor via RF input. The side cabinets came form IKEA and I built the rest of the cabinet to match.

Now I need to finish putting away the rest of my Atari stuff. I made a big mess in my room when I started this project. However, I now have more shelf space to display my Atari 2600 collection :)

Someday, I must post pictures of my game room. Everytime I have things orderly, it seems I get a hair brain idea to move something or I buy something new and end up re-shuffling the furniture and displays. It seems that I am never finished. I guess that is one of the joys of the hobby.

Enjoy,

-Lee

post-24-1203224444_thumb.jpg

post-24-1203224460_thumb.jpg

post-24-1203224477_thumb.jpg

post-24-1203224489_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lee Krueger
  • Like 3

WOW!!! great job in saving that Atari kiosk from the grave and i also like the IMAGIC kiosk sitting on the ground.

:-o :thumbsup: :cool:

Very nice there Lee......great job and it gives me some ideas on how to put my game room together.... :) This is what the Atari 2600 is all about... :)

WOW!!! great job in saving that Atari kiosk from the grave and i also like the IMAGIC kiosk sitting on the ground.

:-o :thumbsup: :cool:

Yeah, I need to find a place to put the Imagic display kiosk now. It was sitting where the Atari Kiosk is now located. See what I mean :) I constantly playing Tetris with my game collection.

-Lee

Yeah me too.

The sickening thing about this disease is that Rick has not one, but two of these

I know. He needs to be less greedy :D

Still, I now have Defender, Space Wars, Moon Cresta and Make Trax coin-op arcade cabs in my game room. I guess I can't complain :cool:

Yeah me too.

The sickening thing about this disease is that Rick has not one, but two of these

I know. He needs to be less greedy :D

Still, I now have Defender, Space Wars, Moon Cresta and Make Trax coin-op arcade cabs in my game room. I guess I can't complain :cool:

Moon Cresta! Now that would make a great 2600 cart! :)

These kiosks are freaking awesome... I gotta have one... Santa, are you listening???

That is a great idea. I'm sure the shelf concept would work for other projects as well, like a MAME cabinet.

Yep, it is less intrusive. I kept all the original parts in tact, so I didn't alter them. I even recycled the "t-moulding".

Gameworks here in Seattle used to (maybe still has) classic games in custom wood cabinets all built-in a row. It was appeared as if they took the guts out and threw the cabinet out. It allows them to have a much larger selection of classic games in a smaller space.

-Lee

• 12 years later...

I know it is years later, but. I am trying to build a kiosk and gathering info. Would you be willing to get the measurements of the light bar cover? Maybe some pictures too? Much appreciated. Thank you for sharing the pictures too. 

Hi gang,

Great to see this thread again.

Sure, I will get you those dimensions.

I have moved 3 times since then and its currently packed away

Sadly, in my current place, I have not re-built it. Nor do I have my Imagic Kiosk up.  But I have tons of other kiosks and "trinkets" to play with ?

Unfortunately, too little time to play.  Awe, 5 more years to retirement. Then I will have time. Maybe... too many hobbies, so little time.

GameRoom1.jpg.1dc3de02411ba2ad85f90d4aceccd7e5.jpgGameRoom3.jpg.42d06f32cf034351097713272fa5c03e.jpgGameRoom2.jpg.4bc505f15cdfee1d802e79c932bcfe0c.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I forget his name I may have it somewhere on here, but a guy posted pictures of a spot on Atari Kiosk reproduction which he was considering the idea of mass producing and selling, if I can find the thread I'll link it here but it was the closest reproduction I've ever seen attempted

• 1 year later...
On 3/7/2020 at 9:50 AM, bow830 said:

I know it is years later, but. I am trying to build a kiosk and gathering info. Would you be willing to get the measurements of the light bar cover? Maybe some pictures too? Much appreciated. Thank you for sharing the pictures too. 

To bad you are not closer. I have an original store kiosk. It was used as an entertainment center for years. I'm thinking hard about selling it, with a 2600, and a 25 " TV. Condition is good, shows some wear

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...