IGNORED

Berzerk Voice Enhanced at CGE2K2

Albert

/events/atariage_cge2k2/BerzerkVE.htmlFans of the original arcade game Berzerk fondly remember the speech featured in the game, with phrases like, "Chicken, Fight Like A Robot!" to taunt the player. Until now, the Atari 2600 port of this great arcade game lacked any speech whatsoever. Mike Mika has created a unique version of Berzerk for the 2600 that features the most voice ever on a 2600 cartridge, with the sayings, "Intruder Alert! Intruder Alert!, "Chicken, Fight Like A Robot", and "Humanoid Must Not Escape." Mike has also restored the original Arcade color scheme and reworked the artwork to more closely match the arcade original. This is a must have for any Berzerk fan and will be available at the AtariAge booth at CGE this upcoming weekend. Click here for a larger picture of the cartridge and manual.

I wonder what the voices sound like though. If they're Quadrun / Sesame quality, then we're not missing much here. :wink:

Just kidding, sounds (sic!) like a very nice piece of work! I'm sure though people who cannot go to CGE will be able to live without them. Just think of it this way: the hunt for any of these CGE-exclusives will be just as fun as the couple of times you'll pop any of the games in your 2600 when you finally acquired it. :cool:

Cheers,

Marco

I wonder what the voices sound like though. If they're Quadrun / Sesame quality, then we're not missing much here.  :wink:

The voice sounds remarkable, considering it's coming from a 2600. I was shocked when I first heard it and anyone who hears it is going to want one. It's the sound straight from the arcade game. :)

The price will be $20. I imagine they will also be available after the show, although I cannot vouch for whether the manual and/or label will be the same. I will ask Mike.

..Al

$20! Aaack! If only I lived a bit closer to the west coast; I just can't afford the airfair this year. I'm totally crossing my fingers that it's availible after the show. (I'd love to get my hands on a copy of "Cracked", too. Maybe they'll both be offered at next year's PhillyClassic?!?)

Will Hozer be able to get their hands on something like this in the future???

As it is a hack of the original

I dont know anything about how hozer works really or even how they get the games they do

Im showing my incompetence now :D

This has to be one of the coolest surprises ever!  I know I've got to have one. :)

BTW what does the voice from Open Seasme say?  I've never tried the game.

Tempest

I think it say only something like OPEN SESAM at the beginning when you turn on the console. At the titlescreen with the crown (?). But only 1 time. :D :)

But you can't understand it good. Like Quadrun Quadrun Quadrun.

It sound like Ohho Ummo. :D ;)

Wow! I didn't expect this much response so soon! Thanks for all the kind words. I'll try to answer some questions here while I take a 5 minute break from work.

I had not anticipated continuing production of the game beyond CGE. That said, if the response remains high, I'd gladly keep it alive and available.

This is a hack, so it is still the great 2600 Berzerk game, just with voice and some very minor changes to art here and there to bring it closer to the arcade version. The huge credit still belongs to the crew who pulled off the original version for Atari.

Unfortunately, there is still no diagonal shooting. I got pretty far with the code on getting this to work, but I had too many kernal problems and the clock was ticking for CGE. For the record, I got pretty close. Maybe, if I pick it up some time later, I'll give it another go for a BIN release.

And again, it is great seeing positive response. I'd like to do more things like this, and since people seem interested in it, it is very encouraging.

See you guys at the show!

Mike

HOLY POOP! Heck yeah there is a demand outside of CGE, A BIG ONE!!! $20 for this thing is a steal too, this isn't just any old hack. This is a vast improvement on the level of something like Snider-man's Venture II. This this is an entirely separate entity!!! I so totally have got to have one.

PLEASE, I beg of thee, continue production beyond CGE. I do think I MUST have this game!!!

YOWZERS!!!!! :o :o :o