IGNORED

Space Harrier, OM&TS, Turrican ....

MaPa

and Yes... similar experience while using RMT + FX in MetaLLamas... "Left my own sound effects engine in the game rather than RMT as I need a bit more control over the 1 channel that's left for the sound effects. I couldn't find a good way in RMT to resume a sound effect when interrupted by another. (That may just be me though.)"

but could be us... ;)

You Tube link Atari 8bit Turrican engine

lol. Someone took the first comment a little too seriously..

boghead - Looks gr8 :)

mcappp Actually is Gr.15 160x100 with 5 colors (black, white, green, Blue and purple)

Uhh he was saying it "Looks great :) ". :lol:

There's a number of ways you could get digi-FX like that.

One possibility is to use POKEY timer IRQs - the voice is being used in forced volume anyway, so you can use it's timer without "losing" a voice.

Yes, that's how it's being done now, so this is what you should experiment with, Heaven. Although I did find using 2 voices for a more accurate timer helped with unwanted sample noise - that way IRQ's can be timed to miss the critical VBI and DLIS exactly, which otherwise will screw with the timing. Oh, and another tip is not to use the OS IRQ vectors! They seem to add too much delay in determining the cause of the interrupt and again seem to add unwanted noise.

Edited by Sheddy

You Tube link Atari 8bit Turrican engine

lol. Someone took the first comment a little too seriously..

boghead - Looks gr8 :)

mcappp Actually is Gr.15 160x100 with 5 colors (black, white, green, Blue and purple)

Uhh he was saying it "Looks great :) ". :lol:

And gr. 15 is a 100 scanlines mode and has 5 colours ;)

I guess you could just use the VBI for the digi-sound too. Possibly play one sample right at the start, then another further in.

Agreed - the resolution of timers isn't that great - but in 16 HKz mode you get the benefit of 1 tick being exactly a scanline.

Problem is, that would interfere with everything else.

Agreed - the OS routine is way too slow. Timers are way down on the priority list.

I guess the most efficient way would be to just disable every other IRQ, and use the immediate vector. Or, just swap out the OS use your own low-level handler.

That is looking (and sounding) great! I wonder, could the engine be used for other similiar games (OutRun for instance?)

It might work for some, but I think the engine would be too slow for OutRun if the road is done properly - I couldn't draw the proper Space Harrier grid on the floor quick enough on the Atari for my liking, and that is a lot simpler than OutRun's road. So I think the character based approach being taken with the current OutRun conversion is probably quite sensible.

Wow !!

Fantastic Great work Chris ! Can`t wait to play SH some day...

Now, how are you gonna release SH when its finished - as a cart image (XEGS, Maxflash,...?) or an XE bootdisk image or what ?!? -Andreas Koch.

It will be an 8Mbit MaxFlash image. Anything other than a cart would require a massive RAM expansion, so I'm not looking at doing any other formats.

Sheddy... can you post or send me the POKEY timer sources? as I never played around with pokey timers plus samples. and which is the sample rate?

you're missing out on all the fun if you don't do it yourself you know ;)

OK, this is an example that sets up timer 4 without the OS to run at 4KHz and is a good starting point to show basic sample playback

; disable IRQ
sei
; point the irq vector to your routine that plays back 1 sample
lda #<irq_play_sample
sta 65534
lda #>irq_play_sample
sta 65535
; we'll assume Pokey clock is set to normal 64KHz and set timer 4 to count to 16 (4KHz sample)
lda #15
sta AUDF4
; enable timer 4
lda #4
sta IRQEN
; enable IRQ
cli
; start timers with a non-zero value
sta STIMER

NB apart from playing the next sample, your "irq_play_sample" routine should put 0 and then 4 into IRQEN to reset and re-enable IRQ 4 until all the samples are played.

hope that helps

It's really awesome work Chris, it's one of the most impressive things I've ever seen on the platform. The latest work and the improvements are instantly noticable. The sample routine is very impressivley implemented. it's been discussed how it's possible to achieve it but I don't remember it ever being done before on the A8 or certainly to my mind not as well? The more I see of this project the more impressive you've managed to make it. It's a shining example of a project that has been painstakingly worked on with care to gain the most from the platform with outstanding results.

Great work! I really like the fourth level, with the ceiling effect included :)

(software sprites FTW!). I should have more faith in 15 fps for 3d games from now on..

(do you have some levels running at 20 or more fps at some point?)

Best "impossible" port for the (Atari) 8bits by far :D

By the way, how many levels do you think you are going to do? all of them?

About the irq's.. I suppose that you have timers in sync with the screen display (so they don't

collide with any DLI or VBI in any frame)? so you need to start the irq's at a specific point the

first time? Many years ago I used DLI's evenly distributed to play sampled music, but it was a

little restrictive about the sampling rates that you can use for the sound :)

NRV

Great work! I really like the fourth level, with the ceiling effect included :)

(software sprites FTW!). I should have more faith in 15 fps for 3d games from now on..

(do you have some levels running at 20 or more fps at some point?)

Best "impossible" port for the (Atari) 8bits by far :D

By the way, how many levels do you think you are going to do? all of them?

About the irq's.. I suppose that you have timers in sync with the screen display (so they don't

collide with any DLI or VBI in any frame)? so you need to start the irq's at a specific point the

first time? Many years ago I used DLI's evenly distributed to play sampled music, but it was a

little restrictive about the sampling rates that you can use for the sound :)

NRV

some of the later levels will be 20fps, but it struggles to do even a few sprites at 25fps.

would like to do all the 18 levels of course!

yes, the sync is important with the IRQ's, as is the sample rate. I always thought DLI's might be good for samples too, although I never tried it!

Edited by Sheddy

Hmm,

does Atari 800 emulate the Max-flash cart scheme right now ?!? Or is the game working -as is- on the emulator ?!? I am asking, because a) I never used this emulator and b) I don`t think that thousands of Atarians will buy a Maxflash cart to play SH. And it would be very sad if all your impressive work could be enjoyed only by "a few" Maxflash cart owners...

And err, does SH require the full 8Mbit (a full one megabyte) of the Maxflash cart ?!? If not, maybe Fandal could do a nice 320k file version, like he already did with many XEGS carts... Otherwise said: It`s great to see such a wonderful game for the A8 - but it would be very sad if only very few Atarians could really play it in the end... -Andreas Koch.

Andreas, what's the difference if the game is sold on a regular cart or a flashcart? You could think about it this way... would you buy the game on cartridge? If yes, then just buy a flashcart and put the game on it. Atarimax sells the 8Mb flashcart for $39.99 USD + shipping. That's fair for a game of this caliber, IMO. Maybe Chris will add some packaging and sell them for $50 or something like that... still in the price range for a good homebrew game. I think I paid around $50 for Alpine Games for the Lynx.