IGNORED

Debuted My New Video Series: Ancient DOS Games

Gemini

Over on GameTrailers I finally released the first episode of a new video series I plan to do on a monthly basis, dubbed "Ancient DOS Games".

Here's a link to the video: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/180225.html

For this first episode I decided to review the 1990 driving game "Stunts"... or "4D Sports Driving" if you played it after Mindscape got their hands on the publishing rights. I still play this game, often. Actually, thanks to the wonders of DOS emulation I've been able to revitalize my large collection of DOS games which was slowly suffocating thanks to Windows, though it's also enabled me to play stuff that never ran properly in the first place. (For instance: Dark Ages, which doesn't have proper timing routines and runs way too fast on even a 66 MHz system.)

I have a huge list of games lined up to review from my collection, some of which might shock and surprise some people that they even exist.

I'm also going to be releasing some additional gameplay videos of tricks and replay craziness from Stunts... though GT has been mangling my ability to properly upload videos so it might be a few days before they're all up.

Hope it's all enjoyable. I'd also appreciate any feedback at all so that I might improve these videos in the future.

My first encounter with "Stunts" was my jr. high 7th grade "Career Discovery" class. We had a small computer lab, and someone from a previous class had copied "Stunts" onto three of the machines. When we discovered the game, it was the hit of the class. Everyone finished their work earlier on Monday and Tuesday, just to have a chance to play "Stunts" the rest of the week.

Then we discovered the track editor and made some rather silly tracks. I believe that was the highlight. What we basically discovered in that class was we all wanted a career as stunt drivers. Except the girls in the class. They couldn't have cared less for the game. :P

Before the semester was over, I brought a couple of floppies in and made sure to get my own copy of the game for home. Had many many hours of fun. I may dig out the old disks and drop the game in DOSBox and relive the magic someday in the near future.

But man, all that seems like ancient history now. lol. I dunno if I should be thankful for you bringing back the good memories or angry for you making me feel old. :D

Since when is 1990 ancient?

That was good. I am looking forward to your upcoming review of Carmegeddon. I hope you post them all here.

Carmageddon is on the N64?? *checks the Wiki*

Hunh... interesting. Well, as might be obvious now, that's not my next review. ^_^;

Though that game is on my list, but because it's only a little over a decade old it's nowhere near the top. Plus, I'm only average at it, which is strange since I'm usually pretty good at driving and racing games. *shrugs*

I've got a couple more related videos up now; both much shorter than the previous ADG video, without voice, demonstrating a couple of Stunts glitches. Plan to have a couple more of these up by this time next week too... and one or two more the week after as well.

Stunts - Slaloms Trick: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/182008.html

Stunts - Banks Hate Me: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/181979.html

Enjoy! :)

Awesome video. I personally never had much experience with dos games considering my first computer was a windows 95, but a really fun dos game that I remember was Nascar Racing. A lot of great memories playing that game, I remember like going through a full 30+ race season multiple times. Would be cool to see that one reviewed :D

• 2 weeks later...
Turns out there's a modern remake of the original Stunts available out there, called Ultimate Stunts.

Yes, I know of this remake, and I don't like it. Granted, I haven't played it for over a year now so perhaps it's seen some updates and has gotten better, but last time I tried it was buggy and the physics were barely functional.

Not sure if made by the same company, but 4D Boxing is just as fun

Keep in mind that Stunts was "made" by the Canadian company Distinctive Software Inc., originally published by Broderbund, and then re-released by Mindscape as 4D Sports Driving. Anything "4D Sports" was merely published by Mindscape. 4D Sports Boxing also happens to be a DSI title, actually.

I'm running a little behind so my next video is going to be up the week after next, though I've been adding a lot of little videos related to Stunts in the process; something I plan to do for all ADG videos I make. Anyone interested can take a look-see here: http://gemini000.gametrailers.com/gamepad/...?action=fanmovs

Edited by Gemini

i hope BloodNet gets on to the list!

Hunh... never heard of that one... I don't think... *checks the wiki*

...interesting... well, since I don't own it, it's kinda hard to do a review of it.

My DOS game collection is either all shareware, freeware, or stuff I actually own. "Abandonware" is a subject of great conjecture and the way I see it is that until the original copyright holders don't care anymore, it's not a free-for-all. That said, some great DOS games such as One Must Fall 2097, Descent, and Tyrian 2000, have all been made freeware at some earlier point in time, but chances are if Apogee, 3D Realms, Sierra, Microprose or Epic Megagames had something to do with a game, they will still care about it.

...with some exceptions. Bio Menace by Apogee is freeware now and you can get it directly from the 3D Realms website. OMF and Tyrian were both originally published by Epic. And unlike nowadays where a demo barely lasts for 15 minutes of gameplay, shareware games used to have hours of gameplay. Heck, I must've spent over 40 hours total playing the shareware version of Daggerfall before finally nabbing the full game.

I have lots to choose from to review, but Bloodnet is unfortunately, not on the list. :(

Thanks for more vids Gemini!!!

I have 2 request for Stunts involving the bugs:

1) Where you can get max speed on the Indy car and somehow it gets 'stuck' at which point you can just speed like crazy over grass. IIRC if you hit the boundaries (ie the fence) the car won't crash

2) Related to #1, take a ramp @ max speed or crashing at max speed IIRC you go into the stratosphere and have literally 5-10 seconds of 'hang' time! :)