IGNORED

Games I'd like to see ported to the A8

Zzalg_Repus

Hello gang!

I suppose everyone has some games they'd like to see ported to the A8. Two of my favourite non-A8 games from back in the day are "Friday 13th" and "Paradoid". Both should not be too hard to convert, "Friday" could even benefit from some -uhm- upgrades...

What do the experts say? Any takers? :ponder:

Best,

Zz

I suppose everyone has some games they'd like to see ported to the A8. Two of my favourite non-A8 games from back in the day are "Friday 13th" and "Paradoid". Both should not be too hard to convert

Somehow i doubt that anyone'd see Paradroid as being easy to convert, the reason it doesn't manage 50FPS on the C64 is because it's far more complex than it seems and is doing a huge amount of background work for, amongst other things, the line-of-sight stuff and robot mapping; even with the extra CPU grind there would need to be concessions such as taking the robots to multicolour graphics (and possibly reducing the width if they're going to players, which in turn will make the robot numbers hard to read) and i'd hate to be doing the work of trying to get the 256 character background into 128...

For the record, I'd like to see Delta if it hasn't already been done.

i reckon Delta is possible, although it'll need a fast software sprite engine capable of seven 12 by 21 pixel objects a frame which leaves a good percentage of time for other jobs, some concessions (player and nasty bullets would have to go to multicolour mode, the starfield'd probably best be served with a spare missile) and i'd guess that it'd need 128K as well...

As I'm a big fan, I'd like to see Sonic&Knuckles (from SEGA Genesis), though it would result in a hugely stripped down version, but using cartridges with 8mbit would maybe help.

Anyway, what's the opinion of you all if a game for A8 came out on a cartridge?

A cartridge with f.e. 2 mbyte ROM and 1 mbyte extra RAM. (should be possible!)

RAM could be used for huge patches of unrolled code and depacked gfx etc.

My personal opinion would be that it's kind of cheating, but it's a very simple cheat which doesn't rely on hardware upgrades. Cartridges can be produced like this if I'm correct.

I don't know if I'm a fan of more tired old games we've all played out finally being ported to our system. I think I'm much more a fan of something fresh and new. While I'd like to see something along the lines of elite, porting it would just tie another system to elite's flaws.

I also wouldn't mind seeing a new 4x strategy, or a new turn based wargame. Who am I kidding? I'll play anything that's new.

Edited by Reaperman

You can join to the:

http://atariarea.krap.pl/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5629

if you like.

1. Manic Miner

2. 1943

3. DeathChase

4. Saboteur I

5. Cybernoid I

6. Dizzy I

7. Moon Cresta

8. Dan Dare I

9. The Way of Exploding Fist

10. Back 2 Skool

similar topic: http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=117946

but now, vote to game you want to see on a8 (+1,+2,+3 points) and -10 points for game you don't want.

voting valid to the end of april.

I would like to see anything from Jaguar to modern consoles like Wii. We have RMT, G2F, MADS and Atarimax Mega Carts so I don't see any problems. I would start with something not so difficult like Quake or Starcraft (estimated time to complete the whole game two weeks) and then I would port more complex games like Crysis (estimated time three weeks, may be four).

F.

Fandal... ;)

I personally would like to see more people grabbing MADS, De Re Atari and start doing things on their own... or better just simply load turbo basic xl and play around. they would be suprised how much fun it is to create something on your own...your first "random colour changes", first drawing on screen, first typed "BYE"+selftest songs, etc etc...

forget about 2600/7800 or 5200... 800 is were everything starts... it's so easy...

and my votes for porting will go to Monster in Mayhem Land...or Wings of Death or Ambermoon or Ultima underground or Nemesis or Final Fantasy 8 or Axelay...

Edited by Heaven/TQA
  • Like 1

...We have RMT, G2F, MADS and Atarimax Mega Carts so I don't see any problems...

Oh please. A few people here like to think that that's all you need.

Why aren't there hundreds of new a8 games now then?

And who of the homebrew developers can spend 2 full weeks working on such a project?

Atari software can be pushed to a new standard with creativity, not with tools only.

But who am I talking to anyway? :ponder:

...We have RMT, G2F, MADS and Atarimax Mega Carts so I don't see any problems. ...

Yes, and I found out that the machine is quick enough by using this poke:

I managed to get 50 fps in my 'Resident Evil IV' port!

Just have to accomplish the 853+ disk problem...

Did anyone tried to connect more than 4 1050s to the XL?

(would help to concentrate some disk changes...)

CU

Irgendwer

Jesus... come on guys... we should encourage people of doing their own stuff on A800...

Yup, you're right.

So let's spread the word:

Pick up your RMT, G2F, XASM etc. and DO something instead of all this talking.

But, I'm starting to see a pattern here. Too much talk, but too few are really interested in doing stuff. One sign of this is the 'enthousiastic' way in which Hardsynth is received.