IGNORED

Atari 400/800 SALT DIAGNOSTIC CARTRIDGE Rev.2.05

Sean39

Hi everyone

Does anyone have a book or the information how to use this cartridge. It a Stand Alone Diagnostic Cartridge Rev. 2.05.....

It runs test on how your computer is performing. Well does anyone have a book on this cartridge????

sean39

I'd like to know too. I picked one up at NWCGE for free. I know you can hit different keys to get various RAM, Sound and Video tests, but that's about it.

I need the rom image. I have the module in the 850 case. :D

i HAVE THE 850 ALSO ,BUT WHAT DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH THE aTARI 400/800 salt diagnostic cartridge rev.205???????

SEAN

I'd like to know too. I picked one up at NWCGE for free. I know you can hit different keys to get various RAM, Sound and Video tests, but that's about it.

I need the rom image. I have the module in the 850 case. :D

i HAVE THE 850 ALSO ,BUT WHAT DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH THE aTARI 400/800 salt diagnostic cartridge rev.205???????

SEAN

He doesn't mean "the" 850. He means the external hardware housed in an 850 case that is used for certain tests with the SALT cart.

http://www.atarimuseum.com/computers/8bits...0/atari850.html

He doesn't mean "the" 850. He means the external hardware housed in an 850 case that is used for certain tests with the SALT cart.

Sorry for the confusion and thanks Warerat for clearing that up. Yeh, in my tinkering with eprom burners I need to pick up a 8-bit Atari cart for this purpose.

Be interesting to see what it says about a stock Atari 800 and a Atari 800 with XE mod. :D

Sorry for the confusion and thanks Warerat for clearing that up. Yeh, in my tinkering with eprom burners I need to pick up a 8-bit Atari cart for this purpose.

Be interesting to see what it says about a stock Atari 800 and a Atari 800 with XE mod. :D

That external device is rather interesting, it has an SIO plug, 4 joystick ports and 2 power connectors. Looks like it could test everything including power used.

I have one here but have never fired it up so don't know if it works or not

James

That external device is rather interesting, it has an SIO plug, 4 joystick ports and 2 power connectors. Looks like it could test everything including power used.

I have one here but have never fired it up so don't know if it works or not

James

If you are using a SALT cart with the external test hardware, the joystick port connection have to be connected reverse from the joystick ports on the computer, ie, 1to4, 2to3, 3to2, 4to1. On an XL, you can go 1to2, 2to1. There are certain tests in the SALT cart that will not work without the external test box. The box uses a 2600 style PSU. The other power connectors is for a 800 PSU passthrough and normally doesn't get used. The SIO connector does test the SIO line. There is 1 switch to turn it on and off. The other switch will mute the audio output to the speaker/TV during the audio tests for undisturbed multi-pass burn-in testing.

Edited by Guitarman

Hi Thanks

I sure could use that information,and I have almost located everything I need to run all the test.......

sean39

What's needed:

SALT Cartridge

External Hardware Test Interface

2600 Power Supply

9pin Female to 9pin Female Joystick Port Cables (2-4, depending on what system's being tested)

SIO Cable

Also, the SALT user guide is part of the 600XL Technical Reference Manual.

Edited by Guitarman

For those interested, our German friends at ABBUC had a thread last year about this piece of diagnostic equipment. Check it out at:

http://www.abbuc.de/modules.php?name=Forum...opic&t=2936

Be prepared the text is (of course) in German, but general interest may be served by the presence of photo's of both PCB's with readable (though nowadays obsolete) partnrs :cool:

re-atari

Hi Thanks

I sure could use that information,and I have almost located everything I need to run all the test.......

sean39

What's needed:

SALT Cartridge

External Hardware Test Interface

2600 Power Supply

9pin Female to 9pin Female Joystick Port Cables (2-4, depending on what system's being tested)

SIO Cable

Also, the SALT user guide is part of the 600XL Technical Reference Manual.

I think there is also a SIO loopback test, Which requires a cable end with pins jumpered.

I have one and will have to look up the connections and post them later. :cool:

You also need a power cable jumper to go from the tester to the 800/400. You plug your 800/400 power into the tester.

Edited by Defender II