IGNORED

STE/Falcon power pad games?

Gunstar

What STE and Falcon games actually use the STE/Falcon/Jaguar power pads? I know Zero 5 and Substation make use of them, but are there any more games that use them?

Llamazap by Jeff Minter does. Raiden does as well. I remember there was also some great shareware games that used them. I believe Bubble Bobble by Reservoir Gods? I believe some of the games by David Munsie also used them. There was also a Bomberman game, in progress, for the Falcon that used them that I loved. I can't remember the name. Those are the games I remember using with the Jaguar controllers on my Falcon. I am sure there are many others.

Oh, I just did some searching and found the Bomberman game - Bomb Squad:

http://www.aleax.com/products/bombsquad/Falcon.php

Me and friends in college loved that game.

I just did a little more research. The planned Atari titles all used the Jag controller. So, in addition to Llamazap and Raiden, that would include Dino Dudes and Steel Talons. I am not sure which of those games were officially released.

Edited by stirrell

All games released by Atari for the Falcon are jagpad only. Additionally Reservoir Gods games support the jagpad where applicable (Double Bobble 2000, Superfly come to mind), Radical Race, All Foundation Two games, Killing Impact (IIRC) and many more. For the STE, Zero 5, Substation and Dynabusters+ by TSCC that I know of. I am sure there are some more too.

• Like 1

Have any ST games been hacked to support Jaguar controllers?

No, it wouldn't be worth the effort. But basically you could connect the Jagpad to any DB9 joystick connector and let it act as your standard joystick.

A schematic for this can be found in the "Extended Joystick Ports FAQ", EJP on the net or in the Atari-FOrum wiki: http://www.atari-forum.com/wiki/index.php/...stick_Ports_FAQ

This would also have the benefit that you could use the Jagpad on other retro machines aswell, e.q. C64 and Atari 800.

Have any ST games been hacked to support Jaguar controllers?

No, it wouldn't be worth the effort. But basically you could connect the Jagpad to any DB9 joystick connector and let it act as your standard joystick.

A schematic for this can be found in the "Extended Joystick Ports FAQ", EJP on the net or in the Atari-FOrum wiki: http://www.atari-forum.com/wiki/index.php/...stick_Ports_FAQ

This would also have the benefit that you could use the Jagpad on other retro machines aswell, e.q. C64 and Atari 800.

Best Electronics also sells and adapter designed so you can use the Jaguar Pad with all Atari consoles and computers except the 5200. I'm not sure if it's compatible with both of the 7800 buttons or not, but it will still work on the 7800 to with 2600 games and all the 7800 games that only use one button. Here's the link to Best E., scroll down on the homepage and there's a picture and link to the Jagpad adapter description and pricing: http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/

• 5 years later...

Llamazap by Jeff Minter does. Raiden does as well. I remember there was also some great shareware games that used them. I believe Bubble Bobble by Reservoir Gods? I believe some of the games by David Munsie also used them. There was also a Bomberman game, in progress, for the Falcon that used them that I loved. I can't remember the name. Those are the games I remember using with the Jaguar controllers on my Falcon. I am sure there are many others.

Oh, I just did some searching and found the Bomberman game - Bomb Squad:

http://www.aleax.com/products/bombsquad/Falcon.php

Me and friends in college loved that game.

I just did a little more research. The planned Atari titles all used the Jag controller. So, in addition to Llamazap and Raiden, that would include Dino Dudes and Steel Talons. I am not sure which of those games were officially released.

Although Atari Corp themselves didn't release them, some other company released Steel Talons and Road Riot 4WD and packaged them in those semi translucent Plastic VHS cases that were popular amongst the mom & pop video rental shops back in the day.

Funny how Atari allowed them to be released by another company after they dropped the Falcon - they were putting all of their efforts into the Jaguar - yet allowed finished 7800 and XEGS titles to spit on the shelves after spending all of that money to develop them. Had they kept "The Atarian" publication and the club together [instead of firing the editors over that infamous Atari Explorer issue], they could've marketed those games through there at least to recuperate some of the expenses.

What I can't remember is whether Space Junk was ever released...

Edited by Lynxpro

That, in no way at all, can be described as a 'benefit'.

• 2 years later...

I'm of the opinion patching support in for the PowerPads/JagPads would be extremely beneficial. Multiple fire buttons and the keypad. That would eliminate the need to press almost any key on the keyboard plus you wouldn't have to unplug/plug in the ST Mouse and/or use a splitter cable or Mouse Master.

• Like 1