IGNORED

Terrance & Phillip

atari2600land

Here's a binary with the new sprites. I had to change the jumping one a little bit, but I think Raccoon Lad definitely did a good job with these sprites.

t_fart
player0:
%11101110
%00100010
%00100010
%00010010
%00010001
%00010001
%00001001
%00111111
%00111111
%00110111
%00110110
%01100010
%10111110
%10111001
%00001101
%00000001
%11111000
%10101000
%11111000
%01110000
%11110000
end
player0color:
end

Did you mean for this sprite to be short one row of colors? There are 21 rows of pixels, but only 20 colors.

-Jeff

For a game with no enemies and no weapons, just moving obstacles that you eliminate a screen at a time by pushing a button, once....I'm not sure where I was going with that. You seem to want to create games for the sake of creating games, rather than to create something that is actually fun and enjoyable. Nothing wrong with that, except that I really think you are capable of the latter. Sorry for the harsh criticism, but this is sloppy buggy code and leaves a lot to be desired in the gameplay dept too.

Harder, better, faster, stronger! Don't let your skills plateau, advanced techniques are what separates the good from the bad.

OK, apparently there was a bug with the hidden unlimited ammo code. You were only supposed to have 3 farts per level. So what I did was remove the farts all together and you now jump with the fire button. The bug Open Source Pong mentioned has been fixed. Also, level 1 is complete. And, I added some background music which you can turn off at the title screen by putting the left difficulty switch to A. I hope this is better.

tandp16.bas.bin

Cool beans! FYI, you implemented the walk animation sequence as A,B,C,A,B,C. But it's supposed to play as A,B,C,B,A,B,C,B. (I think that makes sense...) Also, It'll probably look better if the player switches to the stand frame when he's not moving.

I kind of like the music, it adds more life to the game, but I suggest avoiding long notes if at all possible.

Anyway, my suggestion for gameplay is to give unlimited farting, but change the way it works. You could use the ball as a slow moving fart cloud like in the .GIF animation I posted. animate it by doubling /halfing it's size. It could be short range too. (maybe activate it by pressing down + fire)

You could also have Terrence collect cans of beans (color striped player missile?) to recharge his fart meter.

Anyway, here's silly idea I had for a final screen.

When you get near, the pig would stop humping Phillip, jump down, and then attack you on the lower platform. Fart on the pig to save phillip and win the game. (of course, you'd have to avoid/defeat the flying pigs at the bottom of the screen first)

These are just my suggestions, but I think this game has alot of potential.

post-218-1204935409_thumb.png

Fun little game! It just crashed Stella 2.4.2 (OS X) on the ninth screen or so, the one with the horizontally-flying pigs. Not sure whether that was Stella's fault or something in the code, but thought I'd send up a flare, since Stella almost never crashes on me (it just froze and hung). However, I was able to get past it fine the next time, so maybe it was a fluke.

Also, I really found myself wishing for a variable jump height. I think the game needs it.

Edited by thegoldenband

level 2 is all set up now. I added a screen for it. It's supposed to be a desert level, so I added what I think is appropriate music. Warning: the background isn't black, and there might be some bugs, and if there are, tell me about them.

Source?

Thanks,

Jeff

Don't know if you'd want to use them, but I was playing around and made some new sprites for your game.

These sprites are amazing and I will use them in the game. Thank you!

When somebody gives you images like that, how do you add them to the game? Do you do your best to recreate the images or is there a tool you use that can extract an image from a GIF and convert it to a sprite?

Thanks.

When somebody gives you images like that, how do you add them to the game? Do you do your best to recreate the images or is there a tool you use that can extract an image from a GIF and convert it to a sprite?

The first one. I do my best to recreate them in bB. There might be a tool for the second option, but I don't know what it is or how to get it.

The first one. I do my best to recreate them in bB. There might be a tool for the second option, but I don't know what it is or how to get it.

OK, thanks. It would be cool if someone could make a tool that would take an image and convert it into a sprite. It might even be able to match colors as closely as possible to make a multicolor sprite, but a single color conversion would be better than nothing.

Edited by Random Terrain

New version.

Among the changes:

+The life counter is now Terrance heads. If the black status bar drops to zero, you lose a life *and* begin at the beginning of the level you died in.

+Because I can't control the color of the status bar color (apparently it decided to be black now), I changed the background color of level 1 to a dark blue to still indicate night time. If you want to see this, press up and fire at the title screen and you'll start at level 1; otherwise, you'll start at level 2.

+Added 2 new screens to level 2.

tandp18.bas.bin

tandp18.bas

A new version.

+A few little bugs have been fixed.

+I've also added a little intro screen before the title screen saying "ae PRESENTS" and has Terrance walking across the screen. I think it's cute. What do you think?

I love your pigs. They're so cute.

I'd like to see a down + button for a fart attack also. Farting is what T&P do, so I think it would add value to the game. :ponder:

With each new version, the code gets more convoluted and harder to follow. But there are two things that aren't wrong with that: #1 - I understand it, and #2 - it compiles. If you find any bugs in this latest version, especially at the screen with the horizontally moving platform, please tell me.

tandp21.bas.bin

tandp21.bas

Thoughts and questions about the game as it is so far:

Is there a way to turn off the background music if we want? I don't really like the jump then move style. Are there any 'smart' enemies? So far pigs just move up and down. Instead of stupid enemies, I'd rather have moving platforms and a 'smart' enemy once in a while.

It would be cool if someone could make a tool that would take an image and convert it into a sprite. It might even be able to match colors as closely as possible to make a multicolor sprite, but a single color conversion would be better than nothing.

Looks like a tool like that already exists. Check out this post:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...t&p=1491393

A new bB IDE is coming soon that will make it easy to create B&W and color graphics, so a non-programmer artist could use it to make sprites or playfields for you, save them and then send you the files and you could use them directly without the need to convert them. But for images that already exist, the Bitmap to Ascii converter mentioned in that post is pretty good. I wanted to do a test, so I grabbed an image from a post earlier in this thread and made it black and white:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...t&p=1478388

post-13-1206883983.jpg

Since it was just double the size of what it's supposed to be, I used 50% width reduction and 50% height reduction, but I could have resized it with Paint Shop Pro and used a straight 100% conversion.

..XXXX.
..XXX..
.XXXXX.
.X.X.X.
.XXXXX.
.XXXXX.
..XXX..
.XXXXX.
XX...XX
XXX.XXX
X.X.X.X
X.X.X.X
X.XXX.X
X.XXX.X
X.....X
..X.X..
..X.X..
..X.X..
..X.X..
XXX.XXX

The Bitmap to Ascii converter will be a great program to have around. I bet we could use something like paint Shop Pro to pixelate a fairly simple image to make it even simpler, resize it, clean it up, save it, then convert it. Then we could paste it into a sprite file for the new IDE, load it into the sprite editor, flip it, add color, save it, then put it in the game.