IGNORED

Top Games

Atari2008

Hey everyone,

My 7800 is currently being repaired, and soon I'll be ready to play it after a 10-12 year hiatus...I know it's been a while, but my Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo started getting more and more attention at the time. I owned a few games at the time: Pole Position 2, Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr, Scrapyard Dog, and Karateka (ugh!). I've been reading about (and playing on emulator) many of the lackluster titles in the library, so I want to just focus in on the games that are most fun to play. So what are some of people's favorites? What are the killer games in the 7800 library? Also, I've ordered Pac-Man Collection since I've read so much about it plus the thought of a new 7800 game is cool.

I'm a huge fan of the original Mario Bros. game and used to play the NES port a lot back in the day...how does it fare on the 7800?

I don't care for the 7800 Mario Bros but then I'd never played it until maybe a year ago and I've never played any other version. I can't imagine I'd like it on any system.

All of the homebrews for the 7800 are great. PMC which you already ordered, b*nQ, Beef Drop, Asteroids Deluxe and Space Duel.

My all time favorites are:

One on One

Ballblazer

Xevious - it's pretty shocking to me now just how arcade accurate that game was.

Yeah.......3 games. I had fun with lots of other ones but they don't stand out. I'd imagine most people don't like One on One either.

You need to spend some more $ in the AA store.

Bonq, Asteroids Deluxe and Space Duel are all awesome.

As for original releases, Centipede is great, especially with 2 players

Joust

Klax - if you can find someone to make a cart for you

Ninja Golf

Robotron 2084 - use 2 2600 controllers for arcade goodness

Commando

Get a lightgun and play Barnyard Blaster, Alien Brigade and Crossbow

Also, don't forget some of the excellent 2600 titles, especially some of the recent home brew games such as Squish'em, Medieval Mayhem etc etc

Alien Brigade

Ninja Golf

Midnight Mutants

Commando

Beef Drop

Pac Man Collection

Tower Toppler

Xenophobe

Food Fight

Scrapyard Dog

I like most of the games, actually. Its kinda hard to narrow it down, Joust, Robotron, Kung Fu Master, Double Dragon, Water Ski, Summer Games, Super Skateboardin, are all good games as well...and the list goes on and on (for such a small library).

Joust might be the best game on the system - I'm surprised there haven't been more votes for it.

But really, most of the early arcade based titles are good. The early developers (GCC) made some great games before Tramiel.

Edited by gdement

Thanks for the lists everyone! From the look of things, it sounds like I can't go wrong with classic arcade titles and the homebrews at the AA store. Can't wait to play Pac-Man...it sounds like it gets rave reviews all over this forum. :)

My favorites...

Xevious

Galaga

Food Fight

Robotron

Asteroids

Centipede

DK Jr

One on ONe

Mario Bros

Pac Man Collection

Dig Dug

I like most of the games, actually. Its kinda hard to narrow it down, Joust, Robotron, Kung Fu Master, Double Dragon, Water Ski, Summer Games, Super Skateboardin, are all good games as well...and the list goes on and on (for such a small library).

I think I'd like KUNG FU MASTER more if it wasn't so damn hard. I've never even been able to get off the first floor.

Joust might be the best game on the system - I'm surprised there haven't been more votes for it.

I probably would have voted for it in 1988 or 89 but now I've got an arcade perfect version of it for my Genesis that makes me not want to bother with any other version.