IGNORED

Microprose is back!

True, thats what Microprose has done, but since 2001 they haven't done anything until now, isn't it good to see them coming back again and to see that titles, such as those in your photo's could potentially be coming back in the future. Or is it better that its dead and there is not rebirth of these companies?

I see how everyone gripes about Atari of today, well in that case, yes I can understand the gripes because they haven't put out anything that has been good, except the Flashbacks ;-) and look at Commodore, while the PC's may not be a great idea, the DTV came out and that wasn't certainly worth seeing...

So I think its worth while to give a company such as Microprose the benefit of the doubt and a chance, lets see what other products and software come from this rebirth of the company.

Curt

That's interesting, but Microprose is and always will be this to me:

post-5887-1204348088_thumb.jpg post-5887-1204348095_thumb.jpg

and sort of even this as the last of it to a degree

post-5887-1204348102_thumb.jpg

:D

The controller looks like they lifted the boot off the tried and true CX-40...

Indeed. I like the built-in trackball as well. Think I'll be getting one of these...they might have actually come up with something better than a Stelladapter.

Edited by PingvinBlueJeans

I dunno, when reading the topic title I was hoping Sid Meier bought the name back :sad:

BTW: What does that mean:

If the thought that went in to the current lineup is any indication, and solid updates to its classic game properties are to follow as stated, then Microprose is certainly in for the long haul.

I don't think they have anything. Sid has the rights to his games and simulations are a dead genre. Maybe X-COM, but I could imagine that this series is owned by Julian Gollop himself.

I don't think they have anything. Sid has the rights to his games and simulations are a dead genre. Maybe X-COM, but I could imagine that this series is owned by Julian Gollop himself.

Actually, most of the Microprose titles were still owned through Infogrames until this, they just weren't doing much with them. And Sid doesn't have the rights to all of his games, just the followups he did after he formed Firaxis.

Actually, most of the Microprose titles were still owned through Infogrames until this, they just weren't doing much with them.

Maybe "most", but not Pirates!, Railroad Tycoon, Gunship, Civilisation, X-COM or Mechwarrior.

The two most powerful Microprose series remaining that this new Microprose possibly might've gotten along with the name/logo could IMO only be Geoff Crammonds Grand Prix games and the Master of Orion series. And possibly obscurer stuff like Darklands, Silent Service, Rex Nebular, Airborne Ranger and a bunch of military flight sims which aren't really big names outside the classic gaming scene or hardcore flightsim fans.

And Sid doesn't have the rights to all of his games, just the followups he did after he formed Firaxis.

Sid Meiers Pirates! came with the original Pirates Gold! as bonus game, Sid Meiers Railroads! came with the original Railroad Tycoon as bonus game. Sid Meier's Civilization Chronicles came with all Civilisation games including all enhancements.

I want an update to F-15 Strike Eagle! :-)

Curt

Actually, most of the Microprose titles were still owned through Infogrames until this, they just weren't doing much with them.

Maybe "most", but not Pirates!, Railroad Tycoon, Gunship, Civilisation, X-COM or Mechwarrior.

The two most powerful Microprose series remaining that this new Microprose possibly might've gotten along with the name/logo could IMO only be Geoff Crammonds Grand Prix games and the Master of Orion series. And possibly obscurer stuff like Darklands, Silent Service, Rex Nebular, Airborne Ranger and a bunch of military flight sims which aren't really big names outside the classic gaming scene or hardcore flightsim fans.

And Sid doesn't have the rights to all of his games, just the followups he did after he formed Firaxis.

Sid Meiers Pirates! came with the original Pirates Gold! as bonus game, Sid Meiers Railroads! came with the original Railroad Tycoon as bonus game. Sid Meier's Civilization Chronicles came with all Civilisation games including all enhancements.

Actually, no. Don't be so sure about that. ;)

Actually, no. Don't be so sure about that. ;)

I am. Prove me wrong if you can :twisted:

Haha, well then you'd be surely wrong, and "I am" is completely arbitrary for proof on your end. You're wrong about what games they have, plain and simple. I've seen the list of the properties they have access to (and it includes some of those games you claim they don't). Prove me wrong, other than assumptions based on games Sid has released since he left Microprose.

Edited by wgungfu

Haha, well then you'd be surely wrong, and "I am" is completely arbitrary for proof on your end. You're wrong about what games they have, plain and simple. I've seen the list of the properties they have access to (and it includes some of those games you claim they don't). Prove me wrong, other than assumptions based on games Sid has released since he left Microprose.

I knew you couldn't... :P

I knew you couldn't... :P

Actually, its you that didn't. But please, keep acting childish for everyone as usual, and I'll keep going by what Micrprose knows they have access to as properties.

I didn't because I asked first, but I can anytime for the 6 franchises I listed above. For a start:

Take Two bought the rights to the Civilization franchise from Infogrames in 2004 for $22.3 million.

Your turn.

I didn't because I asked first, but I can anytime for the 6 franchises I listed above. For a start:

Take Two bought the rights to the Civilization franchise from Infogrames in 2004 for $22.3 million.

Your turn.

Oh yes, I'll just produce unreleased press releases and corporate material for a company that just became publicly known again this past Tuesday, that I don't even work for and was kind enough to give me access. All because Cybergoth says so, yup, makes a lot of sense. Besides Gunship being clearly shown on their corporate site, I will say I saw Pirates Gold on the list, and I'm even breaking some of the agreed confidentiality just mentioning that so that's all you'll hear from me anymore on this matter. You'll just have to wait for their official announcements over the coming months (and year) to find out the rest, just like everyone else. And to add to that, the games Firaxis were working with were not owned by them, they were given licenses with ownership still held by Infogrames. Here's the original press release . Didn't we go through all this before with your confusion on Atari and who exactly is what?

Edited by wgungfu

Your turn.

Oh yes, I'll just produce unreleased press releases and corporate material for a company that just became publicly known again this past Tuesday, that I don't even work for and was kind enough to give me access. All because Cybergoth says so, yup, makes a lot of sense. Besides Gunship being clearly shown on their corporate site, I will say I saw Pirates Gold on the list, and I'm even breaking some of the agreed confidentiality just mentioning that so that's all you'll hear from me anymore on this matter. You'll just have to wait for their official announcements over the coming months (and year) to find out the rest, just like everyone else. And to add to that, the games Firaxis were working with were not owned by them, they were given licenses with ownership still held by Infogrames. Here's the original press release . Didn't we go through all this before with your confusion on Atari and who exactly is what?

You normally sound pretty smart, so I guess I don't have to explain the differences between "Owning a Franchise" and "Publishing Rights". BTW: Did you actually read the link you provided? The part where it says:

Atari has transferred to Firaxis the rights to several classic properties, including SID MEIER'S PIRATES!®, SID MEIER'S COLONIZATION®, COVERT ACTION, GUNSHIP®, SILENT SERVICE: THE SUBMARINE SIMULATION®, F19 STEALTH FIGHTER, F15 STRIKE EAGLE and SID MEIER'S CPU BACH™. Firaxis Games plans to continue to partner with Atari to publish certain of these key properties.

Besides, the document you dug out is older than the Take Two deal. Take Two also owns Firaxis by now, so Civilisation is completely theirs.

Pirates Gold is some legacy release. The Pirates! trademark is owned by Firaxis _today_. You will also find when reading the fine print on the current "Sid Meiers Pirates!" box, that Firaxis owns the copyright and trademark. In fact, the more recent PSP version of the game was published by Take Two, no longer by Atari.

You may realize that on their home page they just give random examples on Microprose's legacy releases, they're not claiming ownership of anything. BTW: Gunship in particular is also a trademark owned by Firaxis _today_.

So is this news what was mentioned in this post:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...t&p=1411540

Well, some big news coming soon, Marty knows all about it and he's preparing his own News Release as is a friend of Mike Stulir from Wired magazine. Some things are being ironed out legal wise in the background and once its all wrapped up, everyone is in for a big surprise...

Biggest part is, it has NOTHING to do with Atari, it does however have to do with a video game company that was started back in the early 1980's and is making a comeback is a HUGE way.

Stay tuned...

Curt

A joystick with a built-in trackball seems like a great thing to have.

I like that controller/joystick. That's what the retro joystick for the 360 (should) have been (madcatz = fail). It'd be nice to see this move to the 360 somehow to use with some of the arcade games.

I agree the madcatz arcade joystick is horrible dont buy it. If I had wanted a analog joystick I would have stuck with the 360 controller.