IGNORED

Microprose is back!

Wait till you see some of the other game controller products Microprose will be posting into the Gameline section this coming week! Big things a happening...

:-)

Curt

I'm definitely in the market for both the joystick and HDMI switcher. I can't wait to see these products shipping. Good work, neo-Microprose!

I see how everyone gripes about Atari of today, well in that case, yes I can understand the gripes because they haven't put out anything that has been good, except the Flashbacks ;-)

So I think its worth while to give a company such as Microprose the benefit of the doubt and a chance, lets see what other products and software come from this rebirth of the company.

I'll keep an open mind. Heck even InfoAtari managed to come out with some awesomeness with some help. ;)

I want an update to F-15 Strike Eagle! :-)

Now you're talking! :D

The controller looks like they lifted the boot off the tried and true CX-40...

Indeed. I like the built-in trackball as well. Think I'll be getting one of these...they might have actually come up with something better than a Stelladapter.

Except that it's left-handed. I can use a left handed joystick. Not well, but OK. But a left handed trackball, forget it. I use a Logitech trackball for my PC and it's like second nature.

I've just been checking all this out, and I have to say the company's design sense is pretty great. Everything from the layout of the website, to the colour coded cable selection, to the look of the products themselves works incredibly well together. For a new, small company, they look like their marketing strategy came from a much larger, richer company.

I think I'm going to buy one of those joysticks, just for the sake of collecting one.

I think I'm going to buy one of those joysticks, just for the sake of collecting one.

If they don't cost too much, I'm going to buy one and use it. Although I'm right-handed, I can use my left hand too, so I shouldn't have a problem with the joystick or trackball.

• 11 years later...

MicroProse is back, this time for real and they announced their first game.

microprose.com

' MicroProse announce agreement for Development and Co-Publishing of the new WarBirds 2020 World War II flight simulation that has been successfully entertaining millions on virtual online pilots since 1995.

CEO David Lagettie of MicroProse says, “I am excited to work with iEntertainment Network CEO and Co-Founder of MicroProse, ‘Wild Bill’ Stealey, to produce the next generation of WarBirds 2020 WW II combat flight simulation using new modern technology and promoting worldwide.”

Wild Bill Stealey says, “It will be fun to be working with MicroProse again to do great simulation games! We are very excited to be partnering with David and his team to update our very successful WarBirds 2020 product for WW II combat simulation fans around the world.”'

http://www.combatsim.com/topics/combat-flight-sim/warbirds-2020/

Warbirds wasn't even a microprose title.  Like some other old video game company names, this microprose has nothing to do with the old one.

Edit:

And the reason why atari 2600 space invaders wasn't on any flashbacks is taito didn't allow it.

Edited by mr_me

On 7/23/2019 at 3:15 AM, mr_me said:

Warbirds wasn't even a microprose title.  Like some other old video game company names, this microprose has nothing to do with the old one.

Edit:

And the reason why atari 2600 space invaders wasn't on any flashbacks is taito didn't allow it.

Wild Bill is involved, and he was the co-founder of MicroProse.

6 hours ago, xgamerx said:

I know, but the point is they are working together on the new game on unreal engine 4.

Bill Stealey is iEntertainment Network who has the rights to the Warbirds games.  David Lagettie is the new Microprose, developing and co-publishing the new Warbirds.  The name Microprose is associated with a history of specific game development going back to the 1980s.  David Lagettie may be a great developer but that history is not his.  It's very misleading.

On 7/27/2019 at 12:57 PM, mr_me said:

Bill Stealey is iEntertainment Network who has the rights to the Warbirds games.  David Lagettie is the new Microprose, developing and co-publishing the new Warbirds.  The name Microprose is associated with a history of specific game development going back to the 1980s.  David Lagettie may be a great developer but that history is not his.  It's very misleading.

It seems Wild Bill hired David Lagettie to help him create the new version of the Warbirds game and gave him the go to use MicroProse name, Wild Bill is like 70 at this point.

Every time I see an old brand being repurposed for no reason other than name recognition, I die a little.

Well it says on the site he will be making new games.

Prior to this the microprose trademark belonged to an air gun manufacturer for nine years.  At one time it belonged to Hasbro and then Atari/Infogrames.

Bill Stealey left Microprose in 1993 when it was sold to Spectrum Holobyte.

Edited by mr_me

To be fair, it is not worse than certain rock artists forming new bands over and over, using their old band names and often also playing the old songs. Yes, one or at best two of the members in the new band played in the original band, but it isn't the same band. In this case though, it looks like the new Microprose has obtained the rights to do a cover of a song from another dissolved band.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, carlsson said:

To be fair, it is not worse than certain rock artists forming new bands over and over, using their old band names and often also playing the old songs. Yes, one or at best two of the members in the new band played in the original band, but it isn't the same band.

Excellent example! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...