IGNORED

Will We Ever See a Re-Release of Painter?

Atari Smeghead

Painter CD for Jaguar  

65 members have voted

1. 1. If Painter CD for Jaguar is ever re-released, would you buy it?

• Yes, if the price is right ($25-35 or so)
    • Yes, no matter the price
    • No, this type of game doesn't interest me
  2. 2. Would you care if the CD is encrypted?

• Yes, it must be encrypted
    • No, I can play an unencrypted CD with my Protector SE or BSG cart, etc

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I used to own a copy of Sinister Development's Painter CD (in fact it was a special, numbered Jagfest release), but a couple years ago, the disk stopped working. Then, when I lost my job late last year, I needed the cash so I ended up selling the package to a fellow AAer.

Now, in early 2008, I find I still really miss the game. It's lots of fun. And now that I have a good job, I would like to buy a fresh copy.

Problem is, Gordon has never gotten around to re-releasing an encrypted version. (I sent him some emails, and so did Carl from Songbird when I had him test my non-working Painter disk. Gordon never responded.)

The Sinister website ... http://www.kewlplace.com/sinister/products.htm ... has had this comment for years now:

** Latest News **

** 8th August 2004 News **

The Unencrypted version of Painter for Jaguar CD has now sold out. Once I complete some changes and enhancements, it will be re-released as an Encrypted CD. Watch this page for further updates.

-------------------------------

Has anyone heard from him in the past few years?

I tossed a poll in there, just out of curiosity. Maybe if Sinister Developments sees the interest in a re-release, perhaps we'll get one.

I don't care if it's encrpyted or "enhanced" in any way... I just want to play this fun, simple game again!

Cheers,

Smeg

I don't care if it's encrpyted or "enhanced" in any way... I just want to play this fun, simple game again!

I believe Omf (that is his handle on JSII)...is working on that with Gordy's blessing.

I think also he is having extra levels made. It's looking like a cart too.

Here is a link:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/boggyb/

There is really not much there.....I'll post Omf on JSII and point out this thread to him for you.

Edited by Gorf

I sent him a PM over at JSII with a link to this thread.

Thank you, Gorf! I appreciate that.

The link is certainly interesting. I've not had much luck in the past of burning Jaguar CD games from .rar files, but as long as these are legit, (and knowing you, since you're sharing the link, I assume it is) I'll have to give Asteroids a try.

Though I wouldn't mind a cart version of Painter, a CD copy would be perfectly fine.

Thanks again!

Smeg

I sent him a PM over at JSII with a link to this thread.

Thank you, Gorf! I appreciate that.

The link is certainly interesting. I've not had much luck in the past of burning Jaguar CD games from .rar files, but as long as these are legit, (and knowing you, since you're sharing the link, I assume it is) I'll have to give Asteroids a try.

Though I wouldn't mind a cart version of Painter, a CD copy would be perfectly fine.

Thanks again!

Smeg

NP...those few titles have been around in the PD for a while.

My guess is Gordy would allow a CD version as well if Omf cleared it with him

first. As far as a CD of Painter, you'll need to talk to Gordy and Omf....Omf

wrote me back saying he will post something here on Painter. I think he is

doing cart so everyone can have grabs at it. He is also waiting on someone to

code in cart hi-score save stuff and extra fan made levels.

It would be really nice to see a hook added in to allow new levels off the CD..

I think this would be the first cart ever to do such...would require some work

though.

Hey all,

well here is my post i said i would do here, so here goes

i am waiting for someone to get back to me with some improvements to the painter source to enable it to save the high score on the cartridge eerpom, i would do this myself however my jaguar programming skills are not up to the task i am afraid. i do dabble but not enough to get this done.

apart from this most things are ready for release. the game includes 50 extra levels created by myself and a few dedicated fans from the community. there are a few extra levels created for a special edition though as an extra bonus. the box and manual are done, along with cartridge label.

the game will remain 2 meg but you will be able to play 280 levels of line drawing mayhem. this is cramming every little bit we can into the space available.

unfortunately at current i only have enough parts to create 8 cartridges. i believe this to be an adequate starting point however more cartridges can be made if there is demand. i have plenty of eproms so it wont be a problem as such. i was involved with a beta release a while back and i made quite a lot of cartridges but the demand wasnt very high, so this time after the initial batch i would like to make this to order, probably a few a week.

Gordon who was kind enough to give me permission to release this cartridge version wants to wait before producing a cd version. i believe he might want to sell these his self, so for the moment there will only be a cartridge remake.

i will bring more news when i have it

Thank you very much, Omf, for taking the time to sign up here and repsond to my inquiry! :)

If it helps any, I would like to "reserve" one of the eight cartridge copies of Painter... meaning, I'd like to buy one of them when they become available. Actually, this would probably work better for me, since my CD version of Painter stopped working and I'd be a bit leary to trust another CD.

Thanks again! It's very exciting news. Yay, I'll be able to play Painter again some day!! :D

Cheers,

Smeg

I can't wait to see this one I've made some levels :D for this Re-Release of Painter.

I can't wait to see this one I've made some levels :D for this Re-Release of Painter.

me too, since he's using my Box art and manual design :D

Me three, since I did the playtesting for the community levels. :) (most of those anyway :P )

I'm definitely waiting for this Jaguar release too, it's going to: post-9089-1204608171.gif

I voted "no", not because I'm not interested, but just because I own the game

If your talking for the Jag you've got 100 levels or 120 levels in the Jagfest version.

This release is going to contain that, and 50 New community made levels and the 100 Painter ST computer levels and even more.

It's going to be a literal Painterfest!

If your talking for the Jag you've got 100 levels or 120 levels in the Jagfest version.

This release is going to contain that, and 50 New community made levels and the 100 Painter ST computer levels and even more.

I know, I know, but to be interested, I need to finish the levels of the original version first ;)

I already own the unencrypted regular version.

I´d go for a re-release however if it was on CD, contained more levels than the original version and was encrypted.

Haven´t made up my mind on the cartridge version OMF is working on. Probably I´d buy that one too.

don't forget the legacy style box and manual ;)

I hope it will support hi-score save and maybe a savegame that you can restart at the last played level. This feature was missed in the first version. Maybe I would buy a version with this features a second time.

Belboz is implementing an EEPROM Hi-Score save feature for the game so that will be in there on this release

• 2 weeks later...
I hope it will support hi-score save and maybe a savegame that you can restart at the last played level. This feature was missed in the first version. Maybe I would buy a version with this features a second time.

Belboz is implementing an EEPROM Hi-Score save feature for the game so that will be in there on this release

This would be very cool. Thanks for the info.

• 4 weeks later...
we are very close to a release now

i hope to make the final touches to the main binary this weekend and start making cartridges next

we have fixed several nagging bugs in Gordons code and added an 'egg'

more news soon

Thanks for the update! I have my money ready and waiting! :D

Cheers,

Smeg